Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i - Page 36 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i

Comments

• re:PNUTv7?

Thanks!

Yes, one of the first things I did was to remove version 6 from the task bar and added ver 7.

I'll double check it again thought because It would certainly cause those errors.

• OK that worked. I did add ver 7 to task bar however, I still had ver 6 running in the background when I started ver 7 and of course which one did I click on to open the spin file? Yes, ver 6 . . Time for my nap LOL . So lets hook up the Oscillscope to see what the outputs look like :)

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    While you are at it... I'm stuck on serial. I get the set up... except not what bit limits the acquire.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2016-02-09 21:27
    There is Life :)

smart_pin_pwm

PO output

780 x 439 - 669K
  • re:While you are at it... I'm stuck on serial. I get the set up... except not what bit limits the acquire.

I'm not sure what you mean.

TX is pin 0
    RX is pin 1

Are you talking about setting a baud rate?

I'll scope the pins 0 and 1 to what I get. There should be a signal on pin 0.
  • Serial TX pin

780 x 438 - 592K
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Serial TX pin

I think your scope is maybe slow. Try increasing the bit period from 3 to 80. That will give you a 1us bit period.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    cgracey wrote: »
    I think your scope is maybe slow. Try increasing the bit period from 3...

Does it Tx/Rx ok with /3 ?

This from EXAR PCI UARTs, which it sounds like P2 can nicely communicate with, at full speed ?
    They have 2-4-8 channel models

Up to 25 Mbps serial data rate
    256-byte TX and RX FIFOs
    Fractional baud rate generator
    Automatic RTS/CTS or DTR/DSR hardware flow control with programmable hysteresis
    Automatic Xon/Xoff software flow control
    RS-485 half duplex direction control output with programmable turn-around delay
    Multi-drop with Auto Address Detection
    Infrared (IrDA 1.1) data encoder/decoder

jmg wrote: »
    I think your scope is maybe slow. Try increasing the bit period from 3...

Does it Tx/Rx ok with /3 ?

This from EXAR PCI UARTs, which it sounds like P2 can nicely communicate with, at full speed ?
    They have 2-4-8 channel models

Up to 25 Mbps serial data rate
    256-byte TX and RX FIFOs
    Fractional baud rate generator
    Automatic RTS/CTS or DTR/DSR hardware flow control with programmable hysteresis
    Automatic Xon/Xoff software flow control
    RS-485 half duplex direction control output with programmable turn-around delay
    Multi-drop with Auto Address Detection
    Infrared (IrDA 1.1) data encoder/decoder

3 clocks per bit is the upper limit.

re:While you are at it... I'm stuck on serial. I get the set up... except not what bit limits the acquire.

pingetz	y,#1		'get rx data from smart pin 1

setnib	outa,y,#1	'write 4 lsb's of rx data to to pins 7..4

I don't see how/why y is accumulating 4 bits.
    rjo__ wrote: »

re:While you are at it... I'm stuck on serial. I get the set up... except not what bit limits the acquire.

pingetz	y,#1		'get rx data from smart pin 1

setnib	outa,y,#1	'write 4 lsb's of rx data to to pins 7..4

I don't see how/why y is accumulating 4 bits.

That's just the 4 LSBs of the incrementing long that is being sent and received.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    edited 2016-02-10 00:22
    Chip,
    Is it possible to share the source code for PNut?

I'm hoping it'll be as easy as PX to port with Free Pascal/Lazarus. See - http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/162989/lazarus-port-of-px and extended babble at http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1357050/#Comment_1357050

• x86 assembly
  • Did you get it sorted, Bob?

You can use the pulse signal on P8 to sync the cro to, since the data varies and is hard to lock onto

Its sending 32 bits at an effective bitrate of 80/3=27Mbps. That sync signal on P8 pulses every 1.2usec or so
    potatohead wrote: »
    x86 assembly

No way! PX in pascal and PNut in assembler? Surely not?
    evanh wrote: »
    x86 assembly

No way! PX in pascal and PNut in assembler? Surely not?

The core compiler is written in assembly, although the main app is written in Delphi.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2016-02-10 03:12
    Is that x86, or 386+? I guess I'm asking if it were separated from the Delphi wrapper, what level of executable is it?
    Is that x86, or 386+? I guess I'm asking if it were separated from the Delphi wrapper, what level of executable is it?

It's 386 code and is assembled into an OBJ which gets included into the Delphi app.
    edited 2016-02-10 08:25
    Delphi isn't performing the assembling then? I presume you've got certain declarations in the unit files ... I should be able to fumble through using this - http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/prog/progsu151.html Or maybe the import wizard can handle all that too.
  • Something weird happened to me when I tried to install Quartus. I installed it on a Windows 7 Home machine and when I went to install device support I got a message saying that Quartus couldn't launch the device installer on systems running Windows 8 and later and that I should run it from the Start Menu. Well, I'm running Windows 7 which I'm pretty sure is not later than Windows 8 and besides there is no device installer in my Start Menu. Any idea how I can install device support for the Cyclone V?
  • I get strange errors when I install from places other then the root of the C drive.

Try putting the package there, turn off UAC, and "run as administrator" with a right click.
  • David I had that also on my Win 7 machine. I think I downloaded device support from a program in side Quartus. Havent got that far on my new Win 10.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2016-02-10 17:46
    Sorry to be so dense but could someone point me to the instructions for flashing the FPGA image? I had thought I knew how to run the Quartus Programmer but I can't even get it to see the USB2serial chip on the 1-2-3 board. It could be that my problem is having recently "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Is there a trick needed to get the programmer working on Win10?

Edit: I'm using Quartus II 32-bit Programmer 12.1.
    edited 2016-02-10 17:58
    David Betz wrote: »
    Sorry to be so dense but could someone point me to the instructions for flashing the FPGA image? I had thought I knew how to run the Quartus Programmer but I can't even get it to see the USB2serial chip on the 1-2-3 board. It could be that my problem is having recently "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Is there a trick needed to get the programmer working on Win10?

You don't need Quartus. Use the px.exe program in the .zip.

You'd type...

px Prop123_A9_Prop2_v7.rbf /# /p

...where # is the com port.
  • cgracey wrote: »

You'd type...

Uhhhh... Duh! I guess I've been away from this too long!! Thanks, Chip.

• David Betz wrote: »

You'd type...

Uhhhh... Duh! I guess I've been away from this too long!! Thanks, Chip.
    Thanks for your help and for not laughing at me! The "all_cogs_blink" demo is working just fine. Now to do some more exploring.

• :)

Lots of us "forgot" at this stage. Quartus is needed for the DE2 and Nano. Didn't even think about you using a 123!

Have fun! I'm itching to jam on the new Smart Pin functions myself. Coupla more days.... :)

• potatohead wrote: »
    :)

Lots of us "forgot" at this stage. Quartus is needed for the DE2 and Nano. Didn't even think about you using a 123!

Have fun! I'm itching to jam on the new Smart Pin functions myself. Coupla more days.... :)
    I still need to get Quartus working at some point because I'd like to try this on my DE0-Nano and DE2-115 as well as the 1-2-3 A9 board. I'd also really like to find the time to play with P1v as well.

• Sadly, I've not tried Quartus on Win 10 yet. I'm sure someone here has though.

edited 2016-02-10 19:22

[/quote]
    I still need to get Quartus working at some point because I'd like to try this on my DE0-Nano and DE2-115 as well as the 1-2-3 A9 board. I'd also really like to find the time to play with P1v as well.

[/quote]

You just need the programmer...https://wl.altera.com/download/programming/quartus2/pq2-index.jsp