Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power not coming to one of my connections? — Parallax Forums

Power not coming to one of my connections?

So I bought a parallax robotics shield kit for arduino since I wanted to learn about circuitry and robotics our of nowhere. I followed the instructional PDF for this kit. However when I try to do the basic led circuit. The second led doesn't light up. I have troubleshooted every way you can imagine. Swapped out the resistors, LEDs cables, and made sure everything is where it's supposed to be. However the light still doesn't light up even though the first one does. I have noticed that no power comes form digital 12 but digital 13 does get it. When i touch my second resistor to the digital 13 port it does light up but that's not what the diagram told me to do. I am now afraid I cannot continue to build this little robot because the board might not be good.

Thank you for reading and for being patient with my lack of knowledge.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-09-25 06:07
    Contact Parallax's customer service email to get a replacement.

It is likely that you have either a damaged i/o pin on the Arduino or a defective LED.

They can verify which is the case and provide a fresh Parallax product if that proves to be the case. These pins and LEDs are not invincible and they do get damaged ... sometimes in handling or manufacture.

I think all of us have a few older microcontrollers with a damaged i/o pin that we caused by our own errors. I use my beat up ones (the ones I personally damaged) for experimenting, and save the completely good ones for projects that really need them. It is a waste to throw them away as we often can work around the damaged i/o.
  • Hello Irkman,

Most likely the shield pin for Digital 12 is bent or not fully inserted into the Arduino.

Try both LED circuits connected directly to the Arduino. (I doubt Digital 12 is bad)

Check the Bot shield for missing parts, bad connections, and bent connectors.