Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I need advice on new computer... — Parallax Forums

I need advice on new computer...

My lap top is slowly going south in usb and random shutdowns. Currently windows 7 64 bit. I am thinking about an HP all in one. Please no holly wars on OS's. I dislike the bloat etc in windows but I like linux but hate all the command line typing for me with only one good hand to type. In my situation windows is just easier. Sigh......

My questions are:
Any one have an All-in-one? Comments?

Do they have a beefier power supply then a laptop?

Does Simple IDE, Prop tool work with Win 10? Also the USB drivers?

Thanks for reading and hopefully responding!

Ken

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Mac Book?
  • Too expensive. Would be locked into apple software for the most part.

Used a Powerbook at work several years ago, too slow and un reliable!
  • KMyers wrote: »
    Too expensive. Would be locked into apple software for the most part.

Used a Powerbook at work several years ago, too slow and un reliable!
    Well, even several years ago a PowerBook was ancient. Have you tried a modern Mac? I'm not saying Windows is bad. I'm just saying that using an antique machine and complaining that it was too slow is a bit unfair.

You can always run Linux in a VM on a Mac :)

What software do you need?
    All the cool rock star programmers have Mac Books now a days. Including all my young colleagues. I'm so tempted to spring for one. Then I could hang out in coffee shops without being embarrassed by my ropy old ASUS laptop.
  • I've looked at and considered all-in-one desktops before - in my mind, you get all the disadvantages of a laptop without any of the benefits.

built in display
    limited upgrade options (harder to open/upgrade than a desktop box)
    not portable - at least a laptop can be portable

I'm a big fan of laptops with added monitors and keyboards if you have the desk space. If you want to take it someplace else to work, just leave the monitor/keyboard/mouse on your desk and go.

Spend money on memory and disk space (SSD if you can). The memory comes in handy when you want to run VMs.

Depending on how much horsepower you need, the 2-in-1 (laptop turns into tablet) is a nice format now. It's really sweet having an 11 inch or 13 inch tablet that you can put a real keyboard on and turn into a laptop.

An OS is an OS - pick what works for you.

• Agree, AIO looks nice, however if any one component goes out you are screwed.

You can probably find a decent i5 laptop for very reasonable, and add a decent 22" monitor and dock for $250.

Great option if you end up getting a new lazy-boy or the couch beckons...
  • Heater. wrote: »
    You can always run Linux in a VM on a Mac :)

What software do you need?
    That's exactly what I do. I also run Win8 in another VM. Running both VMs at the same time isn't a good idea though. :-)

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    KMyers wrote: »
    My questions are:
    Any one have an All-in-one? Comments?

Do they have a beefier power supply then a laptop?
    All-in-0ne will have "a beefier power supply" but then they need it and it is inside the case, heating other things up,
    Unless you have significant space pressure, a standard desktop approach should be cheaper and more flexible.
    Do you already have a Monitor ? (or even a VGA/HDMI TV?)

• I have a MacBook Pro with another screen for at home; I can carry the laptop wherever I want to do some more work.
    My iPad can be plugged in to the laptop as a second monitor, at the coffee shop or whatever.

The MacBookPro can dual boot - and it takes less than 30 seconds.
    So it is absolutely IDEAL for BOTH OS X and Windows. My brother drools over the privileged set-up.

Also, the laptop can plug into the 3D printer and CNC router. So the same computer can do everything everywhere.
    I use Vim in the Unix window; I use Xcode (ya!!!!); I use Windows for Propeller tool...
    Also, Windows will be necessary for some other apps for some other ICs; for example, the program for calculating the values for resistors to use in filter networks, etc.

So, all I can say it this: I love my set-up: Dual boot MacBook Pro (with second screen, keyboard, speakers; all waiting for it at home).
  • Sir Gawain wrote: »
    My iPad can be plugged in to the laptop as a second monitor, at the coffee shop or whatever.
    How do you do that? Sounds interesting!

• I do have a HP Pavilion 20 as Desktop. It is basically just a screen with build in Computer.

Takes way less space and wires. Is very quiet.

So I am happy with it.

Mike
  • I just built an AMD system with 8GB RAM, RAID1 w/ 500GB SSDs, 2TB NAS edition HDD for about $750 and it screams. The nVidia GeForce cards with dual monitor out are really cheap these days. I spent most on the RAID controller because the cheap ones can cause just as much damage as a single failed drive. Also it draws about 35 watts idle which nice and cool. I a have a spare ATX power supply for it. I can comfortably call that reliable. If the motherboard fails it could become an issue, then I'd revert to the laptop and SATA to USB adapter.

There are places online where you can pick out parts and they will build it for you, if you'd rather not build. To buy a system from a manufacture with the same specs as above you're looking at double the cost.

Not sure on the Windows 10 compatibility but I think people have mentioned it works. There's really no reason why it wouldn't work on Windows 10.

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2015-09-25 02:01
    Refurbished Dell OptiPlex 790 small_form_factor with Intel I3 for $188
    http://www.fatwallet.com/Dell-Refurbished-Computers-coupons/30-off-dell-optiplex-790-desktop-computers/2864187-3/
    img11799907thmb.jpg

Slap in 4GB more ram and a 128GB SSD boot drive (keep the 320GB for media files) and you have good system.
    It have three sata connectors and 4 dimm slots, so no problem upgrading but still keep what it have.
    With 8GB, I would do fresh install of Win7 64bit versions on the SSD, as a 32bit certificate should also be good for 64bit version.
    Or upgrade to free WIn10 on the old hard drive and then do a fresh install of 64bit Win10 on the SSD, as serial number is based on hardware fingerprint.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    I like tonyp12's find. I have an HP15...A8, which I love, except for the track pad. I am constantly resting my hand near it and it constantly thinks I'm trying to do something when I'm not... it is like living with a psychotic poodle.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    edited 2015-09-25 00:02
    xanadu wrote: »
    There are places online where you can pick out parts and they will build it for you, if you'd rather not build. To buy a system from a manufacture with the same specs as above you're looking at double the cost.

I have enjoyed building many desktop computers from rounded up parts, mainly back in the days of XP. Loading the OS and testing everything was fun, and you could save a lot of $$$. But for average needs these days (internet/email/photos), it's pretty hard to beat a good sale at Staples or OfficeMax.
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I've looked at and considered all-in-one desktops before - in my mind, you get all the disadvantages of a laptop without any of the benefits.

IOW: All-in-ones don't compromise any of the shortcomings of a laptop? :)

• Sir GawainSir Gawain Posts: 32
    edited 2015-09-25 03:01
    David Betz wrote: »
    Sir Gawain wrote: »

On Mac OSX, you can get an app ($15.00 approx.) called Duet display. With it you can plug in the iPad as a second monitor.
    For me I feel that productivity skyrockets with a second monitor; PDF's, tutorials, other code, etc., never leave your peripheral vision. So, with a laptop, I enjoy an extra monitor at Starbuck's or a better one at home.
    This kind of setup has allowed me to maximize my time and learn as fast as I enjoy it.

But, let me highlight the DUAL BOOT on the laptop that allows me to switch between OS X and Windows and use them at full power. On a Mac, you can also put on Parallels, one which you can install other operating systems, and these run at the same time.

Also, let me add again: with a laptop you can bring your hobby wherever you want: on holiday, at coffee, etc. BUT ALSO, it can go to your Prop projects on site and allow you to change the program right there and upload it wherever you are having your Prop fun. Totally a good way to go. I love it. I can only wish people to be as blessed.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-09-25 03:57
    Well, if you must have Windows... so be it.
    And I guess you may still want a laptop as well.

Apple has their Mac Mini computers that are similar to the HP All--In--One in form factor, a tiny computer that fits to a monitor and keybord for an uncluttered desktop.

If you want value, I'd seriously consider an Asus for hardware value. There are a wide range of products that come with Windows. But I have no idea about Windows 10 as I barely use Windows 7, never got to Windows 8.

I keep coming back to Asus after disappointments with other brands. They have established an outstanding relationship with Intel. They provide good techinical support for people that really need to know what the mother board is capable of doing.

Yes, you could get an HP, but I tend to feel that they are really past their prime in corporate culture and never really got their personal computer business in order, while Asus has real pride in trying to put out a 'world's best' lap top or desk top.

Sony is too expensive, Toshiba tends to be over-rated these days and also past its prime. Dell is sourced from whatever they get cheapest. Lenovo is just plain silly. Acer is a Taiwanese also ran that is more into marketing than engineering (do you remember their Ferrari laptop and Italian CEO?)

The simple fact is you are likely to get an Asus OEM under-the-hood of an HP anyway. So why pay more for the same thing? Read the Wikipedia on the company. These days in spite of economic slowdown, they are still contending to increase market share and improved global brand acceptance.

++++++++
    I have to admit that the HP All-in-One looks good and is priced to sell. HP even mentions the possibility of supporting other OSes. I am just not sure quite how well.
  • Sir Gawain wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Sir Gawain wrote: »

On Mac OSX, you can get an app ($15.00 approx.) called Duet display. With it you can plug in the iPad as a second monitor.
    For me I feel that productivity skyrockets with a second monitor; PDF's, tutorials, other code, etc., never leave your peripheral vision. So, with a laptop, I enjoy an extra monitor at Starbuck's or a better one at home.
    This kind of setup has allowed me to maximize my time and learn as fast as I enjoy it.

But, let me highlight the DUAL BOOT on the laptop that allows me to switch between OS X and Windows and use them at full power. On a Mac, you can also put on Parallels, one which you can install other operating systems, and these run at the same time.

Also, let me add again: with a laptop you can bring your hobby wherever you want: on holiday, at coffee, etc. BUT ALSO, it can go to your Prop projects on site and allow you to change the program right there and upload it wherever you are having your Prop fun. Totally a good way to go. I love it. I can only wish people to be as blessed.
    Thanks for the info on the Duet Display app. I'll give it a try. By the way, I used to use Parallels but lately I've just been using the free VirtualBox. It seems to work okay for running Linux and Windows on my 5 year old MacBook Pro.

• To the question about All-in-one, I really like the concept. I had a couple of Gateway All-in-one back about eight years ago, so my info is a little dated.

I had purchased them used, so their was some risk involved, I really liked the experience, but as mentioned in other comments if some part gets fried, you will probably have to junk the whole unit, unless it is still under warranty. If you are going to purchase, make sure you get what you need, present and future needs taken into consideration. If I remember correctly, on the Gateway, it was very easy to get at the RAM, so probably you would want to check that out. That is about as far as you will be able to go, in terms of upgrading the unit. So, make sure you have everything that you will want, in your main choice.

I think I have had this discussion before about laptops. Back about five years ago I decided that I needed and wanted a laptop, so I went to BestBuy and picked up an Asus unit, turned out to be big mistake, picking out an Asus that is. I had it at home and tested it for a week before I took it back. Basically, in my opinion, the unit was junk, and here I thought Asus made some excellent motherboards. The two main problems, the keyboard was way to mushy, meaning when I pressed a key and it felt like there was definitely something wrong with the keyboard. The other was access to the memory, you would have to take the unit apart, just too upgrade the memory. I have not purchased any Asus computer related things since then.

I did pick up a Lenovo laptop as a trade up, at that time, what a difference in products that was. The keyboard was a real keyboard, and access to the RAM for an upgrade was very very easy. I really like Lenovo products. Since the laptop had 8GB of RAM( or is it 4GB) and an Intel Core5 2.5Ghz quad core, I thought I would give a try at using as a desktop solution. I used it like that for about a year, but as I put more demands on the unit, it was having problems keeping up. Not sure if it was the amount available RAM or the 2.5Ghz that was the problem. On my ten year old desktop, which has a 3.2Ghz quad core with 16GB of RAM, I do not have any problems with the computer keeping up.

The solution that I am really thinking about is maybe a Surface Pro x with a docking station, but I do not think that the processor, that you can get now, would be able to keep up with the desktop demands. Remember, if you will be using the laptop as a desktop setup, you still have to figure out where and how you place the laptop. That was one of the problems that I had with my laptop as a desktop solution.

I still like the concept of an All-in-one, but I am now leaning more towards a Surface Pro x(or clone) with a docking station, as a solution for desktop and portability. Yes, SimpleIDE runs on Windows 10, no problems that I could see.

Ray
  • Wow!!! Leave a thread cook for a day and get a lot of GREAT info, thanks guys for all replies on this! Going into looking at systems now.

Think I will forget about the all in one systems and focus on desktops and dare I say a Mac Pro?

Mobility is not a big concern as I am in a wheel chair and seldom leave the house ant more. Software I need spreadsheets, diptrace and all the prop tools. Been playing with a Photon RedBoard from Sparkfun to per mit Propeller XB sensor systems on a web page hopefully tied into the thermostat. This is where I ran into issues with my current laptop.

Used to build all my systems from a collection of parts but now its a little too difficult physically now.

Thanks one and all for the feedback...
  • Hello KMyers,
    I think it would depend of your preference, your available space and your kind of work.
    I have an All-In-One and it has worked good for me, mainly because I don't like working on a laptop because I consider that a standard PC is more comfortable and cheaper but I know that sometimes it's necessary to have a portable.
    Maybe look for a laptop that cover all your needs it will be better for you.
    Wow!!! Leave a thread cook for a day and get a lot of GREAT info, thanks guys for all replies on this! Going into looking at systems now.

Think I will forget about the all in one systems and focus on desktops and dare I say a Mac Pro?

Mobility is not a big concern as I am in a wheel chair and seldom leave the house ant more. Software I need spreadsheets, diptrace and all the prop tools. Been playing with a Photon RedBoard from Sparkfun to per mit Propeller XB sensor systems on a web page hopefully tied into the thermostat. This is where I ran into issues with my current laptop.

Used to build all my systems from a collection of parts but now its a little too difficult physically now.

Thanks one and all for the feedback...
    Wow! You must have a big budget if you're considering a Mac Pro. My son just bought one for video editing and I think it cost him around $8K.

• Well if that much it will be out of my budget. Why are Apple products so expensive?
    Well if that much it will be out of my budget. Why are Apple products so expensive?
    Well, they're not all $8K. I think they start at around $3K. Also, not all Macs are that expensive. You just picked the most expensive one!

• Story of my life, champagne taste and a beer budget1
    Story of my life, champagne taste and a beer budget1
    To be fair, if you look for a Windows machine with a nice aluminum case and slim profile you pay about the same. It's just that there are cheap plastic Windows laptops that are a lot cheaper. Apple doesn't have any like that.

• If you can swing it, a MacBook Pro is a sweet computer. I have a 2012, and it's an excellent machine.

I no longer do desktop computing. When the last one died, I just did not replace it. Take the hobby mobile, and or use workspaces you find or can.

Parallels is good software. Worth it for the very nice integration.

Those ASUS external displays that work over USB are a lot like the iPad second display, and you can get them touch, or not. I didn't get touch on mine. I have a phone for the few touch or pen things I may consider doing. Mostly art. Phone does that stuff just fine, amazingly.

I a fan of Lenovo too. Just install a fresh windows image. Their spyware is annoying and disappointing too. They used to know better. Otherwise, they last a very long time.

My old T60p is what I started Propeller stuff on, and it's still running fine, and can run win 7 reasonably.

Productivity using a second screen for reference material is very good. Recommended.

• Mac Pro - a desktop Mac, starts at $3k and goes up from there (way up if you get crazy!)

Macbook Pro - the top of the line Mac laptop - 15" starts at $2k and goes up from there

I'm shunning Macs since Apple stopped offering the Mac Mini with the I7 Quad Core - Dual Core is so common!
  • Thanks guys, my personal experience with Mac was the power book at work around 1998. Where did the time go?