Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum s/w question: avatars - SOLVED — Parallax Forums

Forum s/w question: avatars - SOLVED

davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
edited 2015-09-04 16:48 in General Discussion
Hi All,

I've noticed some familiar avatars in the new Forum software, but I've also seen what appears to be Forum provided "face" avatars.

The question is, where does one choose to use the Forum provided avatars and select a particular avatar for use?

I've perused my Forum account/profile for settings to no avail.

Thanks much.

Comments

• Find the gear icon to the right of your user name (just above the big red "New Discussion" button).
    Click the gear, select "Edit profile", then look for "Change My Picture".
  • Rick - been there, done that. There is nothing other than to browse/upload my own picture.

Is there a secret button that I'm not seeing?

Confuzed... :confused:
  • I see what you mean. I guess the forum provided avatar feature was removed. At the start of the new forums some people had really goofy looking avatars. I had none.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    AFAIK the forum looks up an avatar on gravatar.com, based on your email address or some such. Which I don't like (so I have uploaded an avatar image for myself, although a blank one, to avoid the forum forwarding anything about me, email or whatever, to that site. )
  • In my avatar a Cessna C-150, N63000, a 100 hp airplane departs KCRQ at 300'/min lol. That's at sea level!

• Parallax makes use of Gravatar to issue avatars to new members. They were also auto-assigned to existing users during the changeover from vB to Vanilla because our move did not preserve avatars.

You cannot choose your Gravatar through these forums, it is assigned uniquely to your email address. If you wish to change the Gravatar associated with your email address you can go to Gravatar's website and upload a new one.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-09-04 15:42
    What I don't under stand is, why use gravatar?

How hard can it be to hash a users email or whatever plus a random salt and generate an image from it that is likely unique?

Heck, a QPR code would do.

Thus avoiding the obvious privacy concerns. And avoiding all the extra network activity.

Edit: Oh, and did I say, they are damn ugly as well.
  • Think of Gravatar as a DropBox for your avatar. You set it once and it is available on any number of sites where your avatar would appear. A lot of people find this to be a useful feature, which is why we support it.

Random bitmap avatars are available at GitHub or some choose to create / hijack their own.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-09-04 16:12
    Gravatar is nothing like dropbox.

In the case of gravatar I did not generate the content. I did not choose to put in there. I did not choose to share it with anyone. I did not choose to have a representation of my email address shared with the world.

Certainly we can make our own avatar by whatever means. But by the time a new user, or victim of a forum upgrade like myself, does that it it's too late. Gravatar already has what it wants.

This all goes on in the background without any warning or consent.

Can you find even one person who finds gravatar useful? I'd like to speak to them.

All in all it's a shameful practice.

• Heater we are aware of your feelings on Gravatar. Do not hijack this thread for your own purpose or you will force me to close it.

@davejames I hope we were able to answer your question.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2015-09-04 16:48
    Edit: Deleted.
  • @davejames I hope we were able to answer your question.

Yes Ma'am, you have - thank you.

• This thread is now closed due to hijacking.

As per Guidelines:
    Please maintain the integrity and focus of the original poster’s intent for their post; if a topic derails or if a thread is hijacked it will be subject to moderation.
This discussion has been closed.