Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Did the ZiCog thread get truncated? — Parallax Forums

Did the ZiCog thread get truncated?

Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
edited 2015-09-03 05:40 in General Discussion
What with the disturbing disappearance of threads recently I had to check a few.

My old ZiCoG thread now has 40 pages. However Google shows it once had 54. See attachment.

Now, the last post on page 40 is from July 2013 and I don't recall when I last saw a new post on there. So I'm not sure if 14 pages have gone missing or is this the result of the number of posts per page changing at some point?

Sorry if this is a false alarm.

c975efff84c47f06a75bf3c1963d72.png

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    Maybe the page size changed across forum changes ?
    Get google to check the last page of each find ?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Jmg,

I did say that page size change may be giving me a wrong impression.

What do you mean "Get google to check the last page of each find"? How?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Maybe it's just CPM truncating your file ;)
    Cluso,

You mean they upgraded the OS the forum runs on as well?! :)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Well, it was the ZiCog thread after all and some CPM programs were notorious for truncating files ;)
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-09-07 19:16
    Heater...
    Go ask Alice. She knows how things become smaller and larger.

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/8697/
    edited 2015-09-07 19:45
    Loopy,

Grace Slick, one of my favourite songs of all time.

No need to visit your link, it's all from Lewis Carroll's "Alice In Wonderland" that I have known since childhood.

Adapted a bit to describe the drug crazed 1960's and the even more crazy Vietnam War which was part of everyone's life at the time.

"Go Ask Alice" is also a very disturbing book about about a young girl in that era. I never figured out if it was an actual diary of a real teenage girl, which is the style it is written in, or a work of fiction.

Lewis Carroll was the pseudonym of Charles Dodgson, the mathematician. "Go Ask Alice" is all about logic.

Loopy,

Brilliant, you reminded me of Lewis Carroll, which reminds us of his "Eight or Nine Wise Words about Letter-Writing".

Which is a collection of rules about how to write a letter. Most of which apply to forum posting!

Even in 1890 this was an issue!
    edited 2015-09-07 20:01
    Yep, I heard Grace Slick sing 'White Rabbit' at the Fillmore Auditorium maybe before, maybe after the Summer of Love. Later she moved into a house in my neighborhood with lots of guard dogs. Never met her. More than a decade ago, my sister befriended her after she moved to Marin County..

A lot of history.....as a teenager in ground zero. You have your Z-80, and I have my Hippie Daze.

Read the lyrics again. You might find more than logic in there.
    Loopy,

I am very jealous you were there. I was a bit young to be allowed out to such events. Never mind being in totally the wrong country at the time.

More than logic? I just listened again, I nearly cried. Grace at Woodstock:

edited 2015-09-08 05:56
    I guess the Z-80s were a 1980 thing. This was much earlier, the mid-60s.

If you were there, your parents probably didn't know.
    If they did know, they would have been deeply worried. I was a high school kid running with an older musician crowd for the excitement when it all began.

My time line for way back then is all a muddle. Everything really got interesting when I turned 16, got a driver's license, and spent summer nights running around in the family car between coffee house and private jam sessions.

I guess it was 1967 that I heard Grace Slick perform "White Rabbit" at the Filmore. I think I was sophomore, and home for the summer from university. She came later than the Grateful Dead, which did one of the first Acid Test at the Filmore with Ken Kesey. That was Jan 8, 1966. I seem to remember the Longshoreman's Hall Acid Test on Jan 22-23 more clearly, though I didn't attend either.

But everything really got started earlier in the summer of 1963. The 'hip' muscian crowd was moving out of North Beach to the Haight-Ashbury for cheaper rents. And I ran around with a conga drummer, Mike Clark. He later went to L.A., became drummer for the Byrds, and became famous. Hip evolved into Hippie.

I did have a run in with Janice Joplin in the Gate 5 parking lot in Sausalito while waiting to use a pay phone. The exchange was brief and rude as she simply wanted to hang on the phone and for me to get lost.

Many years later and up north of California, I visited Ken Kesey at his Pleasant Hill, Oregon home where he played tapes of the the Filmore Acid Test and the Grateful Dead.

It is all over now. The principal players are mostly in their 70s or dead and gone.

++++++++++++
    Odd stuff never ceases.
    In the 1980s, Robin Williams moved into my childhood neighborhood.. just a few blocks away. And now I learned that Sharon Stone moved into the neighborhood for awhile (after I arrived in Taiwan), bought a house that I think I went to for Cub Scout Den Meetings.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-09-08 07:26
    Loopy,

'Interesting that you "hung out" with Ken Kesey. One of my most memorable reads has been Sometimes a Great Notion -- tough to sync up with the writing style, initially. 'Never read Cuckoo's Nest, though. Did you ever run across Jack Kerouac or Neal Cassady?

-Phil
    edited 2015-09-08 13:31
    Nope, Jack Kerouac and Neil Cassidy were supposedly around North Beach and the Spaghetti Factory bar in those days, but I was underage. Frankly, Kerouac and Cassidy were pretty much lost souls and addicted to Benzedrine. Not much in the way of role models, though "On the Road" got me into hitchhiking the West Coast and into Mexico.

The movie "Bell, Book, and Candle" with Kim Novak got me thinking coffee houses were where I should hang out. It was her last film. She quit Hollywood and married a vet.

I hung out in the coffee houses. In particular 'The Precarious Vision' where I worked as a volunteer counter person (it was funded by the Glide Foundation). There I did meet Alan Ginsberg and Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Both read poetry upon occasion. I was friends with members of the "San Francisco Mimi Troupe" that were constantly complaining about their shifty business manager - a guy from New York named Bill Graham. He quit and opened the Fillmore Auditorium after cleverly getting the Mayor's office convinced that it would be no worse for the neighborhood than the house of ill-repute just across the street that was servicing S.F. Police (this fact was written up in The Economist a few years ago).

I went to university in Eugene unaware that Ken Kesey was from nearby Pleasant Hill and owner of the Springfield Creamery. I didn't really 'hang out' with Ken Kesey. I visited his farm and saw the bus Further via friend. Anyone with a case of Blitz beer was welcome to drop in. And one time we had an evening of beer drinking at Max's Tavern where we talked a lot. I was closer to Kesey's wife's brother Keith Hacksby. But the Pranksters were constantly wandering in and out. Eugene was full of Hippie mischief. Attended a party at Ken Babb's place that most of the Pranksters attended.

'Sometimes a Great Notion' has an underlying Beowuf theme, thus the ending with the severed arm. It pretty much demonstrates the tough mindset one needs to be a rural Oregonian.

Who, what, when, and where is a very long story as it all covers about 20 years of misadventures, including ending up working on the Hanford Nuclear Area at one point.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-09-08 15:36
    Heater. wrote: »
    What with the disturbing disappearance of threads recently I had to check a few.

My old ZiCoG thread now has 40 pages. However Google shows it once had 54. See attachment.

Now, the last post on page 40 is from July 2013 and I don't recall when I last saw a new post on there. So I'm not sure if 14 pages have gone missing or is this the result of the number of posts per page changing at some point?

Sorry if this is a false alarm.

Posts per page limit increased significantly in the move to Vanilla (from ~19 to 29/page). It makes logical sense that threads would now seem shorter if more posts were shown on a single page than before.
    edited 2015-09-08 21:36
    Makes sense Publison. I was just not sure for a moment what with other threads going AWOL for a while.

Anyway, Loopy's 1960's reminiscences are far more interesting.

Sadly when that scene hit me, with Jimi Hendrix and "All Along The Watch Tower", and the Doors and Grace etc I was only 12 and we were in frikken Australia at that time. I realized then that there was sea change in culture going on, it was dramatic.

More sadly that all frizzelled out quickly as most of the leaders of that change seemed to die very young for some strange reason. Then it was a decade of bland and tedious pop culture through my teenage years. Until....Hawkwind and The Sex Pistols!

Still going strong after all these years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Rw4-gFtCQ

Oh yeah, that was the Z80 era as well. It was great!

edited 2015-09-09 12:14
    By the time Hawkwind and The Sex Pistols arrived, I was too old to appreciate them.

What can I say? Every dog has its day. My time has come and gone, and that's okay. One has to be very fortunate to survive youth, especially their 20s.

Bill Graham Presents and the Grateful Dead were just my generations "Pied Piper". But actually seeing "The Jefferson Airplane" and "13th Floor Elevators" at the Fillmore was entrancing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_13th_Floor_Elevators

Of course, the Doors got everyone's attention.

IMHO - The music industry brutally exploits youth. And has so ever since that Pied Piper passed by. Hmmm.. was he actually a drunk? Or am I confusing pie-eyed?
  • I wouldn't know Loopy.

When it comes to music I prefer Classical. Almost all of the composers are my favorites. I can spend hours listening to my CD collection, huge, or listening to WQXR-FM a local Public Radio station, and write code, or build stuff.

Right now I have the Proms on they just finished Sergei Rachmaninoff's lushly melodic Piano Concerto No. 2, and are taking a moment to tell the listeners for what they are doing for what tomorrow means to people. (Hint: Its an extremely special day of sorts.)

The show finishes with Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, named after the female protagonist in the epic Thousand and One Nights.
    edited 2015-09-16 10:50
    Ah yes. As I my friend says about music "mostly annoying".

The biggest problem with music for me is that we are able to record it. Pretty much everything I know and love has been heard so many times over the decades it become excruciatingly boring. On the other hand it's rare to find anything new and interesting.

So when it comes to it you can delete it all and I would not care, except for Bach.

More and more though I appreciate the magical trance inducing qualities of John Cage:

• The sad reality of this is how 4'33" highlights the diminishing education in the arts. When I take 4'33" busking, people think I'm a mime!!

Seriously?? The schools are failing us!
    mindrobots,

Busking the 4'33". What a brilliant idea!

I am almost incapable of playing any musical instrument but this is one piece I think I could handle.

I think you have my future career mapped out...
  • John Cage? Ycchh!

I prefer the composer I mentioned. Then his counterparts. Incidentally two of them, Copland and Barber, were both from where I grew up. Copland lived in Peekskill, and Barber was in Mount Kisco.

And right now they are playing, Symphonic Scherzo by Anton Arensky.

What else can I say?
    To be honest I have no idea what actual sounds John Cage may have composed. Perhaps I should check but really I don't care much.

But the silence thing is truly inspired.

Nobody can ever say it is good or bad, there is nothing there to say that about!

You don't need any instruments or musicians or stereo system or iPod or batteries. You can play it any time wherever you are.

There have been times when I have wished 4'33" was on the jukebox. I would have gladly paid to have the otherwise loud and horrible music stop so that people could actually talk to each other.

• These days, I have morning coffee at a local shop that plays an internet radio channel all day that seems to be trapped in the 1970s or 1980s with songs going back to the 1960s.

I am feeling like I have never grow-up and left the USA.
  • OK. Are we done with the original question?

Sorry gents, this will sink.
    Man things are heavy handed around here now a days. What happened?
  • Publison wrote: »
    OK. Are we done with the original question?

Sorry gents, this will sink.

Me? Yes. I don't know about the originator. Besides.... This is no ones fault, except for a guy named Murphy.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Man things are heavy handed around here now a days. What happened?

Not really heavy handed, just trying to keep things tidy. The original question was answered, and now the thread has evolved into a music discussion. I wish we still had the Sandbox for these discussions, but the forums are still based on technical questions and answers.

I do stray myself when it's conversations with my friends here, but as a moderator, sometimes I must pull the plug.

For the record. I'm quite satisfied that nothing untoward happened to the ZiCog thread.