SRS Robothon 2015 — Parallax Forums

SRS Robothon 2015

Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 312
edited 2015-09-02 21:04 in Robotics
Coming soon!
1514 x 695 - 425K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    HA! I was just about to start a "Who's Going to Robothon?" post and Carol beat me to it. October 10 in Seattle. I'm just toying with the idea about bouncing up there for the weekend. If it was a 2-day event I'd be more likely to go. I'm at 20% right now. It would be fun, but there's a lot of stuff going on then, this event is right between my anniversary and twin's birthday.

I've Whit & Ken sporting their T-shirts already. You boys going? Duane? Martin, Rick? Tommy? Gordon? W9GFO, you still here Rich? Home state advantage.

What about that "all night build session" at Carol's house? Who gets to do Whit's hair again?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    I am sick I can't go! The new hairdo alone would be worth the trip. But I LOVE the T Shirt! Always try to get one... The artwork this year was done by Carol Lynn's nephew, Brent.

Carol Lynn Hazlett has a hot entry for the Robomagellan contest for sure! I'll bet she has some other entries too.

Good photos and details on SRS's facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/Robothon

She needs volunteers for those of you close to help!

I WILL go one of these days!
  • I can't wait to see you here!
    Aw c'mon Whit! I thought you and me would split a hotel room!
  • And don't forget that you get to gossip about anyone that is not there.

You in, Tommy?
    erco wrote: »
    Aw c'mon Whit! I thought you and me would split a hotel room!

You are killing me! Cause I REALLY do want to go to this one day. This year I have a wedding the same weekend. The needs of the many out weight the needs of the few... or the one.

Ttailspin wrote: »
    And don't forget that you get to gossip about anyone that is not there.

I am in trouble...

Wedding? Perfect, just inform the happy couple that their venue has been upgraded. Robothon is the perfect event wedding and honeymoon destination.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2015-09-04 16:17
    Whit, I think I may be in trouble too.
    I shared with my wife that there will be a Robothon in Seattle on October 10 this year, and, she not being what you would call
    a 'World Traveler', asked if Seattle was farther away than Rocklin?, And I stupidly blurted out that we would have to go
    through Oregon to get there..
    There is a special glance that she likes to share with me when I may have said the wrong thing.
    It is a burning kind of glance, A glance that shuts doors, builds walls, and saps your strength of will...

I am just a small ax, but ever hopeful, I will keep chipping away.

-Tommy
    Ttailspin - blame erco...

• Ttailspin, being the female side of my marriage I will let you in on a secret. We wives practice that look in a mirror. I can freeze my husband in his tracks like a deer in headlights!
  • Ttailspin, being the female side of my marriage I will let you in on a secret. We wives practice that look in a mirror. I can freeze my husband in his tracks like a deer in headlights!

I knew it!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2015-09-06 06:25
    I should have known something was up when she wanted me to install mirrors in the house when we got married...

Carol, what is your favorite event at the Robothon?

-Tommy
  • Robomagellan. We have a new event this year which is really interesting, it is a walker race. The robot is in a starting area which is colored green. It has to walk to a wall turn around 180 degrees, walk back to the starting area and stop in it. All in the fastest time. I am entering both my Toddler and a BOE-Bot with the walker kit in that contest.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    W9GFO, you still here Rich? Home state advantage...

Still here. Yup, I'm planning to go.
    We have a new event this year which is really interesting, it is a walker race. The robot is in a starting area which is colored green. It has to walk to a wall turn around 180 degrees, walk back to the starting area and stop in it. All in the fastest time. I am entering both my Toddler and a BOE-Bot with the walker kit in that contest.

Sounds great Carol - got me thinking about walking fast!

We have a new event this year which is really interesting, it is a walker race. The robot is in a starting area which is colored green. It has to walk to a wall turn around 180 degrees, walk back to the starting area and stop in it. All in the fastest time. I am entering both my Toddler and a BOE-Bot with the walker kit in that contest.

Any walker? Commercially made or home built? Just no wheels? How far is the distance?

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2015-09-07 22:25
    Carol, e-mail me your home shipping address so I can get you a STAFF badge right away, this week. I know we discussed this before but I don't have a follow-up flagged to send you one.

kgracey@parallax.com

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • Erick, any walker at all, any kind of walking, the only constraint is from the size of the competition ring which you can see and get all the details about from robothon.org and see the rules section. For my own curiosity how many of you out there have been to Robothon before?
    For my own curiosity how many of you out there have been to Robothon before?

My photos are on your website...
    Let me know if you need any robots for display. Such as an ELEV-8, Penguins, Quad Rover, MadeUSA, Scribbler, S2 (with pen lifter - or Marauder), Keppler, Stingray...
  • The more the merrier. We have plenty of display tables and will provide power to the tables also. Since I can't guess who you are from your online ID I would not know which pictures are yours. You don't have to enlighten me though as I know it can be trouble to be too visible on the web.
    @Carol: Rich (W9GFO) is a one-man robot show. Numerous amazing ground and air bots, maybe water bots too. He lives in WA, probably driving there, hopefully he'll bring a car full of bots and has room for his family too. :)
    Can't wait to see photos Rich and Carol! I have never been - never-the-less - I've got the the T Shirts!
    I've never been to Robothon, would love to sometime. Still on the fence now that Whit's out. He and I were gonna doubleteam all the kids in the robot contests and shatter some dreams.

Just kidding, of course. Contests are awesome. Carol, now where's the Figure 8 challenge? :)

Your walker contest is perfect. Not too intimidating, you should have excellent participation.
  • Never been to Robothon, Sure looks like a lot of fun.
    Especially if there is a contest that has an outright ban on casters... I like it!.

Figure 8 challenge would be awesome, even if you had to let bots with caster wheels participate.
    The Eight is harder than it looks...

I dunno erco and whit, I am sure the folks putting on the Robothon event have insurance concerns,
    Fire and Holy Water mixing could cause structural damage if it got out of hand...

-Tommy
    Hmmm... maybe Holy Fire? Maybe its just as well that Brother Whit doesn't come and compete. He has a very powerful ally pulling for him. :)
    Whit wrote: »
    Can't wait to see photos Rich and Carol! I have never been - never-the-less - I've got the the T Shirts!

Here's some photos from a past Robothon.
    Robothon-2010
    edited 2015-09-09 11:44
    @Carol: Rich (W9GFO) is a one-man robot show. Numerous amazing ground and air bots, maybe water bots too. He lives in WA, probably driving there, hopefully he'll bring a car full of bots and has room for his family too. :)

Phil's got the water robot, wonder if he plans to show? My son is about half way done with his ROV using 3D printed thrusters made with Blue Robotics motors and props. Maybe it will be done by Robothon, maybe not...