Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bluetooth earpiece/microphone to robot speaker interface — Parallax Forums

Bluetooth earpiece/microphone to robot speaker interface

I would like to pair an off-the-shelf Bluetooth earbud with built-in microphone so that I can have my spoken voice transmitted to a Bluetooth receiver on a robot whereby my voice is amplified by a simple D-amplifier which drives a small speaker. I thought that I could simply pair a Bluetooth earbud to an off-the-shelf Bluetooth speaker, but according to various manufacturers of the Bluetooth speakers, this would not work for transmitting voice. Any ideas on how this can be accomplished is appreciated.

Comments

• This seems like such a reasonable request but I'm afraid it's unlikely you'll find an easy solution to your problem.

Most of these BT devices are slave devices. They require a BT master to initiate conversation. Both the BT microphone and the BT speaker what to talk with a PC not another BT slave device.

While some sort of computer to communicate with both these devices is the most likely way of getting them to talk together, it may be possible to use a smartphone as a bridge between the devices. If this would work it would likely require a special program to pass the data received from one out to the other.

The easiest way to so do what you want is probably to use a different wireless mic.

Forum member Mark_T was able to send sound over the inexpensive nRF24L01+ modules I often mention. I don't think this is a trivial task. This would require a microcontroller on both ends of the transmission.

There's information about these modules in the top post of my index (see signature). There's a link to Mark's code in the second post of the index.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-28 07:40
    The HC-05 is both programmable as a BT master or BT slave, and might make one of these devices useful. It is limited to asynchronous serial 8n1 up to 115200 baud.

I don't have a clue how useful it would be with digitized audio.

I find the range of the HC-05(master/slave) and HC-06(slave only) to be quite limited (won't work around the corner in my room), so an FM wireless microphone might be a much better choice.
  • The HC-05 is both programmable as a BT master or BT slave, and might make one of these devices useful. It is limited to asynchronous serial 8n1 up to 115200 baud.

Both the HC-05 and the HC-06 can be set to use bauds up to 1.3M.

• Do a Google search for "bluetooth A2DP breakout board". It needs to support A2DP in master mode. At a brief glance, it looks like Sparkfun might have what you need (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12849).
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-28 13:01
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    The HC-05 is both programmable as a BT master or BT slave, and might make one of these devices useful. It is limited to asynchronous serial 8n1 up to 115200 baud.

Both the HC-05 and the HC-06 can be set to use bauds up to 1.3M.

Yes indeed, but whatever I read mentioned that the boards won't perform well over 115,200 baud. To get 1.3Mbaud you may have to create a better board for the chips. RF design is rather involved and these are demo devices.