Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Full Duplex Serial: Is it really full duplex? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Full Duplex Serial: Is it really full duplex?

13»

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Peter, I am following with interest. From the work I have done in different areas with the prop I have no doubts you will achieve the transmit side.
    Of course I realise that you are not strictly working as a proper UART as sending a character may result in a delay before clocking it out commences.
    But you and I know that's not really a problem for serial devices in almost all cases.
    However, I think the receive side may not be quite as easy. I do hope you succeed.
    BTW us real P1 users realised your 32 full duplex channels meant 32 half channels in full duplex. ie Any mix of Tx and Rx totalling 32 I/O pins.
  • Cluso99, thanks. That clarifies a lot for me at least.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    koehler wrote: »
    Cluso99, thanks. That clarifies a lot for me at least.
    Over the years we learn/amass many tricks.
    People often say many things are impossible because they cannot think outside the box. If you take that on face value you will never attempt to do it.
    However, once you learn to think outside the box, armed with the fact you have learnt many tricks in the past, many times you can think of alternate ways to do something so that you can actually do the impossible.
    There are a number of those with these skills on this forum. Peter is one of those. So is Chip.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-09-15 08:33
    ksltd wrote: »
    While I can't imagine something less interesting than technology as a hobby, [..]
    Ouch. I just noticed this. I for one can't imagine that anything really good can come out of technology *unless* it is something you are loving so much and are so interested in that you would want to do it as a hobby.
    In fact, the don't-say-it-loud truth (mentioned many times, e.g. in the 'Real Programmers' essay) is that many of us are paid to do something we would do even if it weren't our job (from the essay: He is constantly amazed that his employer actually pays him to do what he would be doing for fun anyway (although he is careful not to express this opinion out loud.)
    And yes, I'm paid to do my hobby and I and many find that this is good for individuals, companies, and society as a whole.

-Tor
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Quite so.

Humans are powered by passion. Even in fields like programming, electronics, physics, chemistry, mathematics, all kinds of things, that seem dull, technical and lifeless to the layman. Even if the practitioners of those arts like to think they are logical and rational beings. Ask anyone who is good at such things about what they do and their eyes will light up, they will get very animated and talk about it for hours! They want you to share in their joy.

If you look back at the early days of science you find that most of it was done as a hobby !

Those guys that put man on the moon or built the Large Hadron Collider are not working. They are being paid to do what they passionately want to do.

As I said the statement that "I can't imagine something less interesting than technology as a hobby" is one of the saddest things I have ever heard. I surely hope ksltd is not working with technology, his working life must be miserable, or at least boring. Which is a sad waste of a lifetime considering we spend so much of our short time on this planet "working".

• I like to think of the work that I do as highly structured play. That's where most of the good stuff usually comes from.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Sandy,

"highly structured play". I like it.

That's what football players and all kind of sports passionate people do.

That is what mathematicians, scientists and engineers do.

What was the topic of this thread again ?