Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PAM-7Q GPS Module *solved* — Parallax Forums

PAM-7Q GPS Module *solved*

JeroenGJeroenG Posts: 5
edited 2015-08-31 16:29 in Accessories
Hi everyone,

I bought a PAM-7Q GPS module (https://www.parallax.com/product/28509) , but I can't get it to work.
According to documentation, the module led should blink when it's locked to at least one satellite. This doesn't happen.
Also when running example code in spin or c, it always return "invalid".

Would any of you know if I need to do anything more to get that led blinking?
My understanding was that this should be automatically happening.

I'll be unavailable for some days, but when I return I plan to just connect it to a serial terminal, to see what is returned.

Best regards,
Jeroen

Comments

• Welcome to the forum!

Since that GPS does not have an external antenna, it needs to be exposed to the clear sky. I have the same item, and it will not work indoors unless I am on the top floor next to a window.

• Hello Jeroen,

Please make sure that your wiring is matching the pin specifications on the code.
    Looking at the Prop C code;
    - RXD GPS pin should be connected to P0
    - TXD GPS pin should be connected to P1

If your wiring is correct, and you are still getting the same results. Please send us an email to: support@parallax.com
    We can then go through some troubleshooting, and we might issue an RMA to have the module shipped back to us for further testing.

Respectfully
    Zakia Ben Youss
    Technical Support
    Parallax, inc

• Thanks for the feedback.
    This morning I gave it a second go.
    After some time, a minute or so, the led started blinking, and the microcontroller confirmed there was a signal.
    So I just didn't wait long enough.

I'll check if I can close this post.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2015-08-06 08:14
    JeroenG wrote: »
    I'll check if I can close this post.

You could add *solved* to the heading, and a manual solved link to the top of the first post, thus emulating a requested forum feature...

Let's test some & pick the best ...

*solved*