Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Site Updates — Parallax Forums

Site Updates

The updates that we staged to the stage-forums.parallax.com will be installed on this site later this evening. The next update will be published to the stage-forums.parallax.com server in a few days. Please let us know if you find any issues with the items that have been addressed.

Comments

• Thanks for your work on these things. Know it all is appreciated.

• SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2015-08-03 22:53
    Could a list of the changes be provided? Or could you update the master issue list to indicate which changes are in this update?

Edit: and, echoing potatohead's comment, thanks!
  • I had assumed that there was such a list when we announced the stage-forums site. Not seeing it anywhere so I will compile one and post it here shortly.
  • Here is a list of the issues that are addressed in this update:
    Features have changed (7/30/2015):
    Some changes to the theme have been applied.There is now navigation back to Parallax.com from the forums UI
    Links open in a new tab/window
    Large images should behave properly
    BBCode support was applied, HTML support is being phased out
    Comment posts should now have a preview option
    Link style has been slightly changed
    Old Youtube links posted directly into the window behave differently than those posted using the BBCode Youtube button
    Emoticons shouldn't appear in code blocks
    Download file names should now match the actual file name

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-08-04 14:33
    Here is a list of the issues that are addressed in this update:
    Features have changed (7/30/2015):
    Some changes to the theme have been applied.There is now navigation back to Parallax.com from the forums UI
    Links open in a new tab/window
    Large images should behave properly
    Comment posts should now have a preview option
    Link style has been slightly changed
    Old Youtube links posted directly into the window behave differently than those posted using the BBCode Youtube button
    Emoticons shouldn't appear in code blocks
    Download file names should now match the actual file name

Thanks for all the work to the crew.!
    Jim
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2015-08-04 00:56

The BBCode now has a link [>>] as in the old forum to the quoted post, which is nice to see back.
    However, currently that feature is partly broken in the stage-forums.parallax.com - works in some cases but gives a Whoops bad link message, when quotes are of the opening post. 
    Will that detail be fixed before the roll out ? Creating broken links is never good...
  • Jim,
    Will past "experiments" with HTML, such as scrolling code blocks, remain intact?
    Thanks for your work on this!
    -Phil
  • jmg: We found a few different issues with converting from HTML to BBCode related to quote characters. The staging site was updated at around 12:30 PM PST to correct what we believe were the last of those quote issues. If it's not working, I will open a new report on the issue.
  • Phil: I don't know what will happen to the scrolling code blocks. If they were preserved on the staging site, then they should be preserved here as well. The updates to the two sites are identical. 
    jmg: We found a few different issues with converting from HTML to BBCode related to quote characters. The staging site was updated at around 12:30 PM PST to correct what we believe were the last of those quote issues. If it's not working, I will open a new report on the issue.It is not a HTML issue, it is a link generation issue, for the Original-post link. (under the [>>] symbol next to the quoted persons ID)

A failing/working example of the problem is here in this thread :

http://stage-forums.parallax.com/discussion/161726/forum-issues-testing-testing
    http://stage-forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/161726#Comment_161726

Both those links should land in the same place, but the 2nd one fails.
    Sometimes the Original-post link works, the failure seems limited to when someone quotes the first post.
  • The update is complete but I already see a few UI issues with the wider screen format.
  • The UI issues were all related to cached bits in the local browser. Use CTL-F5 for Windows, or CMD-R for OS-X to force a full refresh of the page.
  • jmg: Thanks for the example links. My initial read on the issue is that there is a missing '/' before the bookmark on the broken links. We will take a look at this in the morning and find the correct solution.
    edited 2015-08-04 06:36
    Jim Ewald wrote: »
    jmg: Thanks for the example links. My initial read on the issue is that there is a missing '/' before the bookmark on the broken links. We will take a look at this in the morning and find the correct solution.
    Testing this one. Link works.

I do not see a missing /, - instead I see all posts in a thread follow the general rule of /NN/=Comment_NN
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1339862/#Comment_1339862

- but the first post link is not of that form, so the auto-generator fails to create a valid link in that case.
    Seems an alias link is needed that does follow the rule ?

eg
    <First Post Content snipped, link kept, link fails >
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2015-08-04 06:51
    The first post link is different than the the others in that there is no need for the bookmark portion of the URL.

The link to the post is:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1339862

Whereas the link to the first comment to the post is:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1339862/#Comment_1339862

I think what is left is understanding how you are generating the links to the original post (I probably should call it by its proper name, discussion). However you are doing it appears to create a link in the second form from above, but it does so without including the '/' before the '#Comment...'. That omission is the error condition we are discussing, right?

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-08-04 07:35
    I notice that in my code section posted here: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1339430/#Comment_1339430 the apostrophe is "it's" has been mangled into some HTML/Unicode or whatever gibberish.

Oddly that doe not happen here:
    // It's broken. 
    on('/contact', async () => {
            return <ContactPage />
    });

edited 2015-08-04 07:37
    How do I delete a post ?
    .....However you are doing it appears to create a link in the second form from above, but it does so without including the '/' before the '#Comment...'. That omission is the error condition we are discussing, right?

When I manually add a /, it still fails ?

I notice the code block recently posted here: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1339757/#Comment_1339757 has been totally gibberized and is unreadable.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-08-04 08:57
    One issue which I tested as fixed in the stage version is posting from Android, standard Android browser, standard editor mode, no raw mode needed.. that is fixed, it works perfectly as far as I can tell.
    Edit: On the other hand, the editor option to change font is gone.. I like to use courier now and then, it was easy with the editor. Presumably the pre-migration manual method works.. if I can remember it: test test Yes, that worked!
    Edit 2: No preview on edit anymore.. although now we have it on new post! :)

-Tor
    Tor wrote: »
    Edit: On the other hand, the editor option to change font is gone.. I like to use courier now and then, it was easy with the editor. Presumably the pre-migration manual method works.. if I can remember it: test test Yes, that worked!
    Yes, strange you can change Colour, but not the Font ?
    In GMail, font is the first button, then Size, then B i u etc

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Improvements noticed and appreciated, Jim & Parallax!