Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I can't seem to find recent forum activity in Google — Parallax Forums

I can't seem to find recent forum activity in Google

Why is that?

Tried a few different things, and posts from about a month ago are there.  This used to be good for everything up to just a few days ago.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Which activities on Google are you talking about? 
    Recently all Parallax code has migrated to github. The google thing never did set the social networking world alight as far as I can tell.
    I have no idea where the kool kids hang out now a days. I'm still here :) 
  • Just content.  Things we write, etc...

edited 2015-07-30 19:57
    Well, yeah, I'm told that happened. It did not catch on. Nobody wants to write their things on Google any more.
    I write all my "things" here or here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/index.php or on github https://github.com/zicog or sometimes here: http://the.linuxd.org/  
  • We got off the track.

Yes, I agree with you. When I get fired up here again, I am using github. Can't wait.

For social, yes. Agreed too.

I mean forum posts. I should have not used activity as a word.

Recent ones do not show up on a Google search like they used to.
    edited 2015-07-30 21:11
    Ah sorry, you meant good old fashioned Google search. As in "google it"
    No idea... ltes try:
    site:forums.parallax.com heater
    Only 6000 hits, the first being from 2007! Lowe ones being from 2012 and so on. Not encouraging. 
    Let's try something else:
    Holy molly WTF! Google has locked me out! Hey this has never happend before, Google wants me to answer to a capture before letting me continue!
    I have never seen this before.

Hey, this is freaking me out.
    The google search "site:forums.parallax.com heater security alert" results in me being locked out of google. Asking for a capture. Both in Chrome and Forefox on my PC. 
    The search  "site:raspberrypi.org heater security alert " works just fine, as does any other search. 

• Holy molly WTF! Google has locked me out! Hey this has never happend before, Google wants me to answer to a capture before letting me continue!

I have never seen this before.

Confirmed. Never seen that before on google. 

edited 2015-07-30 21:19
    Brilliant, now I cannot do any search "site:forums.parallax.com bla bla" without answering a capture. Which I refuse to do for now. This is weird.

Google says:
    Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you continue to use our services.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may be asked to solve the CAPTCHA if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

Anyone ever seen this before ?
    Any other search term works just fine as usual. 
  • Heater,
    I just googled "site:forums.parallax.com heater security alert" and it worked as expected, also found the new forum content.
    I have seen the unusual traffic message before at work, so it does happen.
    C.W.

I might understand blocking unusual traffic from my machine, or my local network here. 
    But I can make the same "site:forums.parallax.com fish" search from a Windows PC on the same local lan with no problem.
    I can do "site:parallax.com fish"  from this same PC and get results. 
    I can do anything but "site:forums.parallax.com bla bla". Then it wants a capture.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    This
    site:forums.parallax.com I can't seem to find recent forum
    gives the first hit as
    forums.parallax.com/categories/general-discussion

but
    site:forums.parallax.com "posts from about a month ago are there"

fails to find, so google seems to have more drill-down latency

Maybe not surprising, as their bots are adaptive and the new forum has reset some of that, based on other comments
  • Brilliant, now I cannot do any search "site:forums.parallax.com bla bla" without answering a capture. Which I refuse to do for now. This is weird.

Google says:
    Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you continue to use our services.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may be asked to solve the CAPTCHA if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

The same Google search with my login "Publison", yields the same captcha results.
    Much weirdness.
  • How strange.... I've never seen that before.
  • Worked OK for me. Wonder what the triggers are?

Ok, so the answer is likely a longer index and shallower search cadence, if jmg is on the right track.

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    Do a search restricted to the last month and you can see that Google picks up recent content:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site:forums.parallax.com+forum+issue&tbs=qdr:w
    I've seen the Google Captcha before when Googling.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I've seen that captcha from work quite often. Of course all our work access go through a single NAT'ed IP.. which I thought had to be the cause. So I've have to direct google searches through an off-site machine now and then to avoid the hassle of the captcha (I seem to never answer them correctly until the Nth try).
    I wasn't aware of the possible connection to specific google sessions (i.e. cookie linked). That makes much less sense - there's no way I could have flooded google from just one place by myself.

-Tor
    Tor,
    I tried that search on my Firefox, same machine, as well. It was also blocked with a capture. So the blockage was not session/cookie related.
    I tried the same search on a Windows 7 laptop on the same local LAN. No blockage there. So it's not related to our NATed IP either. 
    As I said, other searches blocked not blocked.
    Some how this knows my machine and/or user and blocks that specific search. Very weird.
    Anyway: Now, some hours later, that search is no longer blocked and the first result returned is my "security alert" post from July 25th.
    Does that count as "just a few days ago"? All seems to be working as I might expect. 
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Weird indeed.  You used a different browser and it was still blocked? If so, super-weird. Sounds like you're not identified through the user agent string either then? And if it's really somehow linked to a single machine (despite being behind NAT), and a single user, how on earth do we end up on Google's 'you must be a bot' list?
    Fortunately the "site:" syntax works on duckduckgo and ixquick also, so I just change the search engine in my browser. I only use google now if nothing else works.

• I see things as well.  Some I didn't see yesterday morning.  Could it have indexed based on some interest shown?

Or, maybe I botched it. 

I can search and see very recent posts now. 
  • It seems that the Google searches are tied to the date that a thread began, not the latest entry in that thread.

So, if you want to run down the most current Google activity, you have to attempt to locate a thread that began most recently.  I tried my "FPGA Forth" thread and it presented the 7/20/2015 beginning of the thread, not my latest entry.

Heater's woes might just be due to his identity being far too generic.  Google searches of the Parallax Forums for Heater turned up all sorts of unrelated nonsense tied to actual heater applications on the Parallax Forums.

When I search Loopy, I discovered that there is actually another user named "Loopy" without the Byteloose. And it seems all my Activity page is public to Google. I am not sure that appeals to me.
    My problems with getting blocked by Google cannot be anything to do with my identity being far too generic. 
    The blocked search string was "site:forums.parallax.com heater security alert"Whilst Google wanted a capture for that any other search string went through OK as normal.
    There is nothing to do with my identity in that. I may well have been looking for security issues to do with heaters. 

• Tor,
    I tried that search on my Firefox, same machine, as well. It was also blocked with a capture. So the blockage was not session/cookie related.
    I tried the same search on a Windows 7 laptop on the same local LAN. No blockage there. So it's not related to our NATed IP either. 
    As I said, other searches blocked not blocked.
    Some how this knows my machine and/or user and blocks that specific search. Very weird.
    Anyway: Now, some hours later, that search is no longer blocked and the first result returned is my "security alert" post from July 25th.
    Does that count as "just a few days ago"? All seems to be working as I might expect. 

So @Heater, as I told you forget about all that *nix stuff and use windows. I does work!  :smile:
    Actually this does happen if to much requests to google come in from the same source. A college of mine is using some software to tweak the ranking of keywords in web sites. Part of it is to deep search google (and other) result pages to find the ranking of your page and optimize the page by using different key words and meta tags.
    Tedious process. And he also complained about that capture thing. I personally never met it. Typing to slow.
    But going thru thousands of web server logs in my life I encountered a lot of funny things with different browsers and settings. Too much privacy can mess up any webserver relaying on JavaScript, Cookies, time based sessions and all the 'goodies' needed/wanted by marketing.
    Even while (or because) google is crawling the web very extensive to collect information, they do not like at all to be crawled themselves.
    So they block your 'crawler' by a capture.
    You can get a awful lot of information about your user from the server side, if you want to. With any browser you come up with to my servers. Not just the browser id string thing. Usually you can get the full qualified [url=mailto:user@domain]user@domain[/url] for any windows user and the authenticated LDAP user also for Linux.
    Simple things like a tracert back to the client on first contact. Or some JavaScript to get his screen size.
    No NAT can stop this. It's not just the IP address. You get way more.
    I do just write the in-house software for a small German Company. Say ~35 people at the location and about ~75 external participants.
    I do know exactly how much different devices everyone uses to access the system. How often and when. Mostly I use this information for design decisions. What screen sizes get used most? Stuff like that.
    And I am not at all a genie. I am just a code monkey.
    Mike

msrobots,

Haa, I know you are having a little jape there but I fail too see how Chrome on Windows would behave differently than Chrome on any other OS w.r.t that little search blockage of mine.

As I said, that capture could not be about too many searches coming from the same source. From the same tab in the same browser other search terms were not blocked!

The same search was also blocked when made from Firefox at the time, a different source.

It was a search term specific blockage.

All this time later I'm still puzzling about it.
  • Yeah,
    I had to say that with windows. I am sure you understand.
    You are right that it is puzzling. Ralf (the college in Germany) says he usually can do a couple of thousand requests before being blocked by capture.
    After solving the capture thing he can do another round of a couple of thousand requests.
    But he can not let this run unattended. Has to sit there and watch it.
    Since I see no way you did so many searches in so short time by hand, I guess it has to be the search term.
    Google just read the last 3 words and decided that Heater is a security alert?
    Enjoy!
    Mike
    edited 2015-08-03 21:38
    msrobots.
    Yes. Google was right, I am a security alert. 
    Not even good at it. But hey, I believe that all humans should be a security alert all the time.
    How else do we keep our masters under control?

• Brilliant, now I cannot do any search "site:forums.parallax.com bla bla" without answering a capture. Which I refuse to do for now. This is weird.

Google says:

Yes, I have encountered it once before, about 4 months ago.  I don't remember what I was searching at the time, though I'm pretty sure it wasn't "site:parallax.com heater security alert",  :)  I asked our IT guys and they confirmed it was a real thing.  Haven't encountered it since then...