Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Advice Needed on the Number and Placement of Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensors for AGV — Parallax Forums

Advice Needed on the Number and Placement of Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensors for AGV

Hi All,
I am developing an AGV and I am planning to use Ping))) ultrasonic sensors. I would need some advice about the number of the sensors needed and how they should be placed. By the way, my AGV will have circular cross section, just like a standing tube, and I want it to have full 360-degree view of its environment. Thanks so much in advance.
Boeing737

Comments

• I take it you don't want to mount the sensors on servos? You could of course get by with fewer sensors using servos but this tactic would complicate the process of figuring out where the sensors were pointed.
    The angle a Ping sensor can detect an object depends a lot on the object being detected.
    I think for minimum coverage you'd need 9 sensors. This is assuming each sensor can detect obstacles in a 40 degree field of view. Depending on the object being detected, you may need significantly more sensors for full coverage.

You want to make sure and have a small delay between triggering the various sensors. If multiple Pings are triggered at once their echos can interfere with each other.
    How big is your robot? What do you plan to use as the controller? What sort of motors?
    I hope you share some details of your project with us.