Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Shaek (sic) Forever — Parallax Forums

Radio Shaek (sic) Forever

The latest clever workaround from China? Check that name in copper on the boa(e)rd: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321722225490

Comments

• Due to the recent hack attacks by China I am ceasing purchasing anything that is made in China. So, I will probably cease to exist but I am not going to sit back and just take it. It has to stop somewhere. 
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Do what?
    If everybody stopped trading with countries that did hacking and spying then many countries would be bankrupt. Starting with the USA.  
  • Ummm.... I must confess that I have a pile of those boards that I purchased over-the-counter in Taiwan long before Radio Shack went bankrupt.... just when I was starting with Parallax on BasicStamps.

They have been around for a long, long time... over a decade at least.
  • Dah! (I mean "Yes!" This is what happens when four tigers live here.)I have several as well.
    Those boards were probably part of the batch not shipped here, and being made available through that device.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    I have plenty of the cheapie boards (10 pcs/ $1.19): http://www.ebay.com/itm/NS-10Pcs-5-x-7-cm-DIY-Prototype-Paper-PCB-Universal-Board-New-/181817412555?hash=item2a55298bcb

Those make these the Shaek $8 boards look pricey!
  • I hope a Radio Shaek outlet opens near me. Since Radio Shack closed there's no place I can run out and buy odd and ends at the spur of the moment. Plus I miss being that guy who pokes around in the parts drawers looking for items that mystified the staff.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    How cool that would be!
    If every town in the USA and Europe had a "Radio Shaek". A kind of brick an mortar ebay store, with tons of cheap Chinese electronic parts and gadgets stacked up the the ceilings. Right there next door to the Chinese restaurants in down town China town. Open 24 hours per day everyday. 
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    That's pretty much me, for the select few who know and partake of my secret stash...!