Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TACHYON and the C3 ? — Parallax Forums

TACHYON and the C3 ?

Since I have been experimenting with the C3 using PropGCC, now I am wondering what can tachyon do with the C3 board? One of the things I did want to accomplish is to use the COGs in the XMMC space, can tachyon do something similar, or can tachyon use all of the resources that the C3 has? Putting it another way, is there a version of tachyon that is set up to use all the resources of the C3.
Since the C3 board has things like VGA, ADC, expanded memory, sound, just to name a few, if you wanted to set up a program to utilize all of that, I think you would probably need to use all the memory that is available. Not sure about that though, anyway, has anybody tried using tachyon with the C3 board?
Ray

Comments

• I would suggest just downloading one of the Tachyon binaries, perhaps the VGA Explorer where you can connect a VGA monitor and run DEMO for instance. Certainly you can start exercising the hardware with this configuration.

The C3's SPI interface has a less than desirable 4-bit counter to select an SPI device such as the microSD which has to step through the SPI selects until it reaches the microSD and the sad part is that there is no gating of it at all, if you want to deselect and reselect you have reset/step or step back around to do this.  A one-of-eight mux needing only one extra line would have been much better at least. This awkward behaviour can be patched however into the SDCARD.fth source to accommodate this. I will look at creating a C3 binary with the FAT32 filesystem and VGA Explorer etc to simplify this but someone needs to test it.

• So, it sounds to me like trying to use tachyon with a C3 board could be a big hassle, for somebody just starting with forth. I might have to skip this one, maybe somewhere down the road...
    Now it seems that I would probably have a better shot at trying to do something with the QS+HIB. To bad the HIB did not have a 40 pin header, so you could at least been able to attach a blank expansion board on top of the HIB. I know, now it will start looking like an unstable tower, and besides that I think the power distribution is a little on the light side for any major expansion.
    The big question, is there a good base board for using tachyon, yes it would have to have a potential for some decent peripheral attachment. Something ready to go out of the box, no blank boards with a bag of parts that have to be soldered.
    Ray
  • You could probably use the QS Proto board in an overhang configuration:
    https://www.parallax.com/downloads/p8x32a-quickstart-proto-board-kit-documentation

• Like so.
    654 x 410 - 268K
  • I just happened to have a QS+HIB+Proto board laying around. A loose fit in the overhang configuration looks interesting, could be something to work with. Now I could add a little breadboard on the overhang portion, for adding things like a sht11 module, ..., etc.
    To bad tachyon does not support the sht11 module, I have a couple of those laying around. Also, if I were to attach a TTL-USB cable to some pins on the HIB, could I get access to tachyon via a terminal program? Or can that only work by using the USB on the QS board? I think this has the makings for another experiment.
    Ray
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    To bad tachyon does not support the sht11 module,

Tachyon supports the DHT22, and setting up the protocol for sht11 is a nice exercise ;-)
  • Support for most devices usually only involves a few lines of code so an SHT11 vs a DHT22 is neither here nor there except someone else will have to test the SHT11 unless I get some. As for the C3 chip select thing, once again it's a few lines of code but someone else will have to test it.

Best thing to do is to not worry too much, just load Tachyon on a board and explore. The serial comms is always active if you conect to it via a terminal, preferably a proper terminal like Teraterm or minicom etc.

• I'm not sure which board the SHT11 is used on but a quick perusal of the datasheet leads me to believe that this is a variation of the I2C protocol in some ways. If someone has one could they load a version of Tachyon such as the Explorer binary and paste this code in just to test the sensor. You have to change the clock and data to suit of course, then paste and type TEMP@ which should return with the data if all is well.

[code]
    0 == HDA --- SHT11 data
    1 == HCL --- SHT11 clock
    --- SHT11 transmission start seq. - remap pins and use I2C routines
    pub TS
    HDA HCL I2CPINS --- reassign pins for I2C routines
    I2CSTART I2CSTOP SCL LOW --- TS
    ;
    BYTE crc
    pub TEMP@ ( -- data )
    TS
    3 I2C! --- measure temperature command
    BEGIN HDA PIN@ 0= UNTIL --- wait for completion signal
    0 I2C@ 8
  • I will give the C3 a try with a Tachyon system installed. IIRC the default at startup is P31,P30 for a terminal setup. What would a VGA/keyboard setup look like on the C3? I think their was mention of a Tachyon-VGA.binary, but I am not sure how that would work out for a beginner.
    As I mentioned, in another thread, I would like to try making the C3 into a Tachyon Propeller/sht11 data acquisition unit for an indoor environment. With the time and weather display on a VGA screen, that could be an interesting starting point where I could then have the time, inside temp/humidity, and the outside temp/humidity displayed(data acquired from my outside unit). Am I getting to ambitious?
    Ray
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2015-07-28 12:08
    Did you have a look at the Tachyon thread lately? This is what I did with the DHT22 sensor instead. Not ambitious at all, simple really.

a0958d14c42250688c366e7c6b1fca.jpg
    800 x 447 - 61K
  • Yes, that was the post I was referring to, except in my case I would be using a sht11 data source. Now, if that were a touch screen, you could touch to change from C to F values, maybe touch to show other data...
    Ray
    edited 2015-07-28 13:02
    Most VGA monitors do not have touch screen and even so they are normally USB. But why wouldn't you display C and F together or alternating? Even have a ticker tape area with current stats etc.

The DHT22 only requires a single wire and a fairly easy protocol and they are cheap, is there a reason for the SHT11 as the DHT22 is supposed to replace that part? I did post some test code for the SHT11 but I can't really test it.

edit: I see adafruit have discontinued the SHT11.
  • Most VGA monitors do not have touch screen and even so they are normally USB. But why wouldn't you display C and F together or alternating? Even have a ticker tape area with current stats etc.

The DHT22 only requires a single wire and a fairly easy protocol and they are cheap, is there a reason for the SHT11 as the DHT22 is supposed to replace that part? I did post some test code for the SHT11 but I can't really test it.

edit: I see adafruit have discontinued the SHT11.

I buy most of my stuff, like the sht11 module, from Parallax, this is a Parallax forum, so I try to support them in that way. Yes, I wish Parallax would sell some dht22 modules, some CO2 detectors and O modules, and assorted stuff. And Peter Jakacki could support some of the things, like boards and modules, that Parallax sells, as it pertains to Tachyon :-). But then that is just my opinion.
    Ray

• The SHT11 modules are very expensive compared to the DHT22 which is about 1/8 the price and that's probably why Adafruit dropped this product.

Trouble is, I don't sell Tachyon, it's free. Since it's free then I guess I am supporting Parallax in a way.

If Parallax felt like supplying such boards and devices to me for support in Tachyon then I would also do that for free, but I don't think that's going to happen.
  • The SHT11 modules are very expensive compared to the DHT22 which is about 1/8 the price and that's probably why Adafruit dropped this product.

Trouble is, I don't sell Tachyon, it's free. Since it's free then I guess I am supporting Parallax in a way.

If Parallax felt like supplying such boards and devices to me for support in Tachyon then I would also do that for free, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I think you are right about getting some free stuff to test out with Tachyon, that would open up a can of worms. Next thing you know they would have to provide PropForth with stuff, and then you would probably see other people raising there hands, where is my free stuff, I am developing things also.
    Now I feel kind of guilty that I am not giving PropForth a chance, and supposedly PropBasic is supposed to be resurrected, so now I would have to give them a chance, since that will be supported by Parallax, or at least that was the indication as of, what, five months ago. This is enough to make your head spin.
    Ray

• I don't want stuff for free, it just means more work, but if someone wanted me to interface stuff to Tachyon for free then they could send this stuff to me for the same price they pay me :)

Well as you can see anyway, Tachyon is about getting things done, as in the case of the simple VGA clock for instance and many other projects that I have featured on the pages of this forum. If I could get the same job done with other tools and as easily as I do in Tachyon then I probably would never have bothered to create it in the first place. I like Spin but it's too slow and every little bit of PASM needs to run in another cog as well. As for other Forths they are just too slow and not as compact as is also the trouble with C on the Prop, plus they all seem to be about "themselves" rather than getting an actual project done. The reason we use tools after all is to make things, isn't it?

• Peter, I appreciate your work on Tachyon. It is very fast in my opinion, just havent devoted much time to play. Hopefully in the fall. A C3 version would be nice for people like me but the old version did work on it in my limited testing!

Thanks again for your work time and effort!!!
  • General Observation:
    I downloaded the Spin versions 2.4 - 2.7:
    Using the Propeller Tool I ran ver 2.7 and I get:  line 1043 -> address out of range error. Does not compile.
    ver 2.6, when I type in '14 HIGH' and hit enter the program freezes.
    ver 2.5 and 2.4, when I type in '14 HIGH' I get: --> HIGH <-- Not Found ????????
    To be fair it does do the '*' example from your short tutorial. So at this point I am not sure what is going on. I am using Tera Term as the terminal program with 'flow control' set to NONE. I will use version 2.4 and see if I can get some of the other examples to work as expected, from your tutorial. These were downloaded from your 'DropBox' area.
    Ray
  • Working with ver 2.4, I tried to copy and paste the contents of extend.fth, it gets to 0076
    and then --> RX <-- not found ???????? , --> A$ <-- not found ?????????, and that is it.
    This does not look good for working with the C3, unless of course somebody else has it installed and got past the items I am having trouble with.
    I might have to try out ver 2.4 - 2.7 on my QS board and see if that works any better.
    Ray
  • Ray, as I remember from long ago I experienced the same issue. I think I played with the time delay or some such thing in Teraterm. Too long ago to remember for sure!
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    edited 2015-07-28 21:39
    in TeraTerm, additional settings / copy-paste you can specify a line delay
    start with s.th. big and see if it works then.
    this delay is different from the normal one

30ms should do
    edited 2015-07-28 23:20
    There are a few binaries just to get you going that already include EXTEND.fth but if you are trying to compile any versions with the Spin tool then you should always use the latest Tachyon version as why would you try to use an older version that may now be incompatible with add ons? Also if you download any .fth files via the terminal you must remember to set the line delay (not character delay) which I set to 8ms with the new V2.7. Since there is no handshaking the terminal would normally overflow the buffers while Tachyon processed and compiled each line, and the line delay gives it that breathing space to catch up.

However you should just download the BINARY to get you started.
  • Using the Propeller Tool I tried to compile ver 2.7 Spin file and I get:  line 1043 -> address out of range error. Does not compile.
    I am getting the impression that you have to have special binaries if you want it with VGA, or if you want it to run in terminal mode, ..., etc. I thought I would just work with ver 2.7 Spin file and go from there. That way I could change a line of code, in the Spin file, and get the configuration that I would like. Is my reasoning about this the wrong way to look at this?
    Ray
  • Ooops, my bad, I tried that in the Prop tool and it protested as well. Looks like I overflowed cog memory in one of the seldom used modules. I've patched that for now so that it will compile fine.

I'm still surprised though that you haven't loaded  a binary to get you going as there is nothing special that you can do by compiling the source yourself and there is nothing special about getting it with VGA either, it's just built in.

As for your reasoning I can't follow you, it seems you believe for some reason that you have to invoke certain incantations to make it work for you. The reason for the binaries is it skips any steps to do with compiling the kernel source (mostly PASM and byte data) then loading in EXTEND.fth and in this case VGA.fth, that's all.

Tachyon always runs in terminal mode, that's part of being a Forth, that's built in ready to interact on the command line. In fact it needs that to compile EXTEND and other .fth files anyway.

Please, just try the binary. Then play around compiling later. At least you will get to see it work and understand it better.
  • The problem I am running into, with the C3, is when I load the VGA binary, and then I start up Tera Term, I do not get any response in the terminal screen. When I load and run a "regular" binary, at least I get  "ok" when I press enter. I am not sure what the VGA binary is doing on the C3, but it is not working as expected. I was trying to avoid spelling out all the small details about what is really occurring when I try things with the C3 board, but now you know.
    Ray
  • Okay, I will just double check the binary then in that case to make sure it's ok too. You should see it get updated in the dropbox in that case but I will get back to you very shortly.

• Alright, I checked and cross checked the binaries and now I have made the VGA-EXPLORER-CLOCK7X9.binary and included the BIGCLOCK with 7x9 font.

You can run the clock by typing MAIN which will run in another cog so you are free to use the Tachyon console in the foreground. The RTC defaults to a standard I2C RTC and in this case I am using a 5-pin DS3231 module. Don't worry if there isn't an RTC or it's different, the display will still work although the time and data will be weird, but at least you can see it run.

If you do get your hands on a DHT22 you can connect it right up to +5V and use a 1K resistor from the data pin to an I/O. If your pin was 24 for instance you can change it with the command: 24 ' dhtpin 1+ ! which you should do before you run MAIN so you can do a BACKUP then if you like you can also tell it to run automatically on startup with: AUTORUN MAIN

VER:    Propeller .:.:--TACHYON--:.:. Forth V27150720.2030
    FREQ:   80MHZ (PLLEN OSCEN XTAL1  PLL8X )
    NAMES:  $52EE...716B for 7,805 bytes (+213)
    CODE:   $0924...46D8 for 15,796 bytes (+711)
    CALLS:  261 vectors free
    RAM:    3,094 bytes free
    BUILD:  FIRMWARE BUILD DATE 150729:235628
    BOOTS:  6
    BOOT:   EXTEND.boot
    POLL:   

MODULES LOADED: 
    4411: BIGCLOCK.fth        BIG DIGIT VGA CLOCK with temperature and humidity 150729-0000 
    3E79: VGA.fth             VGA text driver 150709-2200
    1A81: EXTEND.fth          Tachyon Forth Propeller hardware debugger and explorer - 150727-1030

POLL:   

----------------------------------------------------------------
    24 &#39; dhtpin 1+ !  ok
    BACKUP  ok
    AUTORUN MAIN  ok

type a ^C to reboot or just say "reboot"
  • I know Peter is going to get ticked off, but...
    I went and loaded the new ver 2.7 Spin file, and everything went as expected. I also did the copy/paste of extend.fth file, surprise, surprise, it took probably a half hour for that to accomplish. Not sure if I would want to make that common exercise. Also I did run 'BACKUP', and I am assuming that the upgraded kernel is now in the EEPROM? Have not tested that just yet by doing a reset.
    Now I know that the word "fast" has been used to describe Tachyon, but as you start adding on the different .fth files, especially extend.fth, I would imagine that would make the kernel "bloated" and in turn start to run a "little" on the slow side, I would think.
    So, to maximize the efficiency of Tachyon, you would have to be using the minimal amount of .fth updates, and those files would have to be some very tight code.
    Something else I noticed, while the extend.fth file was being loaded, what pins is the uSD assigned too? At the end of the file it looks like 9,10,11,12 are being used. So, using different boards might conflict with the default pin assignments?
    Now, the next thing I will try is the new VGA binary, as soon as I find a suitable VGA monitor.
    Ray 
  • Ray,
    Regarding the time it takes to load "extend", be sure that you only have an end of line delay in terraterm, not for each character.  The first time I tried it I also had the chacter delay and it took forever to load extend (I eventually just exited it.)  But when I tried with only end-of-line-delay, it went much faster and only took a couple of minutes.

Tom

• Peter,
    How do you use the binary version (load it into the prop & start it)?  I am a novice.

Thanks
    Tom