Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Voting - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Voting

2»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    edited 2015-07-26 09:45

potatohead said:
    >>There is as much privacy as one demands.

And you can and should not use entities like FaceBook then. 

You know, I can take your words here, spend an evening with some searches and a few nice guesses and very likely pin you down to a few possible people.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/right-to-be-forgotten

EDIT:  It's the same for freedoms in general.  If we demand a fair deal then a way will be found to achieve it.

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2015-07-26 09:53
    Your point is?

I see your edit.  Well, OK.  But, that's going to be put into the context of what is worth what?

That option is a good one for somebody enduring harm.  It's also laborious to implement in such a way that my comments above would be rendered ineffective too.  Really, those people who need it are going to make use of it, and all of that is a good thing.  More is needed.

It's overall relevance here?  Come on.  Having some social features isn't a big deal.  Don't use 'em.  Nobody is going to care.  Others may well value them, and at the least, we've got way bigger fish to fry. 

And that's all I'm going to write about it. 
    There is as much privacy as one demands.
  • Okie Dokie.
  • Please set all forums to sort by Date, like any sane thread would sort.
    I'm really surprised there is any argument to this. This is not a Facebook popularity contest, this is technical help and discussion, nothing to vote on here... move along...
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    And me three.
  • That might be a little off-putting. 

Do you know what else is "off-putting"? A new member's post with a negative vote. 
    Yes, I have seen it. I quickly returned the score to zero.
    I think voting decreases the friendliness of the forum.

• DomanikDomanik Posts: 233
    edited 2015-07-26 17:05
    You Scoundrel!!!!!!!!!!!!   How dare you clean up my negativity.  Hurumphhh.
    That might be a little off-putting. 

Do you know what else is "off-putting"? A new member's post with a negative vote. 
    Yes, I have seen it. I quickly returned the score to zero.
    I think voting decreases the friendliness of the forum.

Edit:  On second thought I down voted myself.
  • Well that's interesting.  Someone up-voted my down-vote on myself.  This could spiral out of control.  What if everyone got the attitude "my vote cancels your vote" and all of a sudden all the votes go to zero?
  • How can I find when or where I voted?I'm sure, the software does know... otherwise preventing multiple votes on the same message would not be blockable..."THEY" always know ev'rything!
  • What if everyone got the attitude "my vote cancels your vote" and all of a sudden all the votes go to zero?

Wouldn't that be wonderful!

• What if everyone got the attitude "my vote cancels your vote" and all of a sudden all the votes go to zero?

Wouldn't that be wonderful!

We could call it "vote-sinking"

• We could call it "vote-sinking"

Thank you.

That got a real LOL from me.

So I think we need to identify what the psychological barriers are to getting participation from prospective forumistas. Obviously, registration is at least a speed bump in that path.
    This might help - http://www.wired.com/2015/07/websites-please-stop-blocking-password-managers-2015/

I've never been inclined to use a password manager myself but some may find it a godsend so to speak.

evanh said:

potatohead said:
    >>There is as much privacy as one demands.

And you can and should not use entities like FaceBook then. 

You know, I can take your words here, spend an evening with some searches and a few nice guesses and very likely pin you down to a few possible people.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/right-to-be-forgotten

EDIT:  It's the same for freedoms in general.  If we demand a fair deal then a way will be found to achieve it.

Here's a bit more down similar lines - http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33690326