Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum Issue: Automatic links when @ is prepended. — Parallax Forums

Forum Issue: Automatic links when @ is prepended.

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2015-07-24 23:54 in General Discussion
When discussing Spin programs, it's often useful to refer to @MyVariable, meaning the address of MyVariable. But the forum automatically assumes, then, that MyVariable is a user name and tries to create a link to that user. Given that Spin is a common topic, this automatic linking should be disabled.
-Phil

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-07-25 00:08
    I'm starting to think it would be quicker to write a forum package from  scratch rather than to fix all these issues!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    Personally, I like the feature where @username links. But it should probably have some restrictions:
    - No linking if username doesn't exist.- No linking if @username is in a code block- No linking if @username is in inline code*
    * Has anybody brought up the lack of inline code yet? Eg, something like `MyVariable` would be given monospace rendering with a colored background.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2015-07-25 04:39
    At this time and current level of functionality, I'm very likely going to use GitHub and post screenies here.  (bitmaps containing code)

IMHO, getting code right is probably the only issue I would prioritize high.  Our activity is low, but that won't hold.  When we get to jamming on P2, snippets are going to end up here big.  Not looking forward to that.

Not to mention the ramp up we can expect as the summer winds down.  Newbies are gonna have a hard time.  And we want the newbies to not have a hard time. 

Seriously.  Code needs to be really easy, and robust.  Top priority, if you ask me.
    Yep, on a technical and software oriented forum like this code is the lingua franca. In the modern world one expects code to be a priority and it should be presented like this: http://atom.github.io/highlights/examples/

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    .. except for the black background which makes it nearly unreadable for me :)
    edited 2015-07-25 11:18
    Did you try hitting the theme buttons on that code highlight example? Perhaps Solarized Light
    [/list]Is more to your liking. It would be a user choice of course.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    Did you try hitting the theme buttons ...

That's using 'em nasty third-party scripts!  I guess it's only an example and can be better prepared on production setups.
    evanh,

That's using 'em nasty third-party scripts!

Not necessarily.

The atom highlighter is certainly written in JavaScript but it is used in the Atom editor which is a desktop application. One of the best editors I have ever used by the way.

That highlighter can be run on the server side under node.js. Users need not have JS enabled in their browsers to see the results.

Of course if you want real time syntax highlighting in the edit box as you type then the JS would have to run in the browser. Which is the case already with the current edit box.

Not sure what you mean by "nasty third-party scripts". I assume you are joking. The entire forum is created out of nasty third party scripts. The nightmare that is PHP :)

By third-party I mean the http referencing in the web page is pointing the browser to other sites to retrieve the scripts.  By nasty I mean the third-party-ness itself.

Parallax, for example, does not rely on such third-party scripting.  Kudos to Parallax.

edited 2015-07-25 16:32
    Ah, OK, I see what you mean.
    That "nasty third-party" script thing is one of the deepest mysteries of the web to me. How did anyone ever think it was a good idea to let a browser download and run scripts from any place other than the site one is visiting? 

For example when I visit a site that I know and trust a bit, like this forum, I don't expect to end up having scripts fetched from God knows where and run in my machine. I expect the site to take responsibility for what they deliver.
    Not even Parallax can be trusted though, they include the Facebook spyware into this very page: <script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1&quot; type="text/javascript"></script>
    No kudos to Parallax until they fix that glaring issue. I believe it is on their TODO list though.
    Even more strange is that browsers won't load data from "foreign" sites. How come that restriction is in place and not the restriction on runnable code!

Anyway, there is no reason such things as the Atom highlighter cannot be served up by Parallax itself. 
    edited 2015-07-26 03:50

Not even Parallax can be trusted though, they include the Facebook spyware into this very page: <script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1&quot; type="text/javascript"></script>
    No kudos to Parallax until they fix that glaring issue. I believe it is on their TODO list though.

Hmm, NoScript blocks all that rubbish for me so I don't notice it.  All the functional bits work for me just by enabling second-party access.

Actually, I don't even need to do that.  The forum is fine without scripting at all.  If the HTML edit box was set to sensible size I'd never be concerned any longer.

• Phil,

Adding to the issues list, then sinking the thread.

Thanks.
    Help, I'm drowning!