Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum issue: No preview on comments? — Parallax Forums

Forum issue: No preview on comments?

Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,507
edited 2015-07-18 09:02 in General Discussion
Well, i can't seem to find the preview butto when writing a comment, so i assume that it doesn't exist...Wow, and nobody noticed before?
Also, there is no button to get a codebox. On a Forum about microcontrollers. GG!
Also this... iframes work in the editor and preview but not on the actual topic... strange... To see it, edit this post!

Comments

• Wait... youtube iframes get converted to something that turns into an iframe when clicked, explaining the double click thing.Maybe allow all iframes and remove annoying ones by hand?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-07-18 09:57
    The edit box is a WYSIWG HTML editor so it deliberately has no preview button it previews as you type stuff in.
    Of course that WYSIWG editing is totally broken and or incomplete as you have found. Rather like MS Word.
    I can't use the thing for any formatted input I want to achieve, like inserting a quoted text or code block, without using raw mode.  
    A more modern approach is to have a preview pane shown near the box you are typing into that updates continually as you type and shows exactly how the final post will look. Of course they generally use markdown rather than HTML for post formatting. 
    I think iframe elements are filtered out of your input deliberately. Like the one below:

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,507
    edited 2015-07-18 10:00
    Why? Why not just have BBcode instead of HTML, like every other forum?Also when the edit window itself is the preview, why is there a preview button when starting a discussion?And why does that editor not have codeboxes, a forum software staple?
    EDIT: Also, there is a acronym for that kind of editor: WYSIAYG

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Deep an mysterious questions Wuerfel_21.

No idea. It all seems to be whatever configuration comes with Vanilla out of the box when you install it.

Somebody, Coutney perhaps, said that BBCode would be implemented here.

I'd rather see the adoption of markdown as used on github and many modern forums and blogs.

• hmm, markdown is also nice, from what i can remember from editing a github wiki once.
  • I believe if you peruse the Issues List, you'll see your comments have already been addressed and added to it.  BBCode is coming; markdown support is not.

Sinking this thread as there are no new issues to log.