Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller 1-2-3 FPGA Board (#60054) available to Forum Members $375 - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

Propeller 1-2-3 FPGA Board (#60054) available to Forum Members $375

Comments

• Publison wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    The A7 was $375. We are selling the A9 boards for $475. The A9 is all we are making now and we are building 20 more boards that will probably be ready in three weeks.
    Right from the horse's mouth! :)

Happy New Year Chip!

Naah, @Publison.

It's from the brother of the horse's mouth. Just look at the pictures...

3 weeks. Missed the first round. Still have to save for it.

Enjoy!

Mike

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    We just built 20 more Prop123-A9 FPGA boards. If anybody is interested, they are $475.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    I'm going to order another one this week. Still wishing there was P1V source code tailored for this board available...
  • Has there been a .qsf file released by Chip for the A9 board?

If we have one of those, we can incorporate it into the P1V github Jac Goudsmit has. I did it for the A7 with the .qsf file Chip provided for that version of the board. (If those brain cells haven't died off yet, I can probably do the same for the A9.)
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Has there been a .qsf file released by Chip for the A9 board?

If we have one of those, we can incorporate it into the P1V github Jac Goudsmit has. I did it for the A7 with the .qsf file Chip provided for that version of the board. (If those brain cells haven't died off yet, I can probably do the same for the A9.)

Here it is:

Prop123_A9_qsf.zip
  • How do we order? Are they on the store?
    KMyers wrote: »
    How do we order? Are they on the store?

Just call Parallax and tell them you want a Prop123-FPGA board that Chip has 20 of and is supposed to be testing.
  • Thanks Chip!
    KMyers wrote: »
    Thanks Chip!

You bet.

For everyone's information, our build cost on these boards is $350 each. It was too much trouble to try to get another deal from Altera, so we are paying something like $230 for those A9 chips.
    edited 2016-03-19 00:51
    I sent an email to sales@parallax today asking to order one, hope that works...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Still wishing there was P1V source code tailored for this board available...
    Rayman
    I have already built a P1V for this board.
    See here
    I thought I posted the source for this but apparently not.
    I will try and dig up the source for this later tonight.
    That would be great!
  • We have a new batch of these boards built and waiting for Chip to test them. The reason Chip is testing them is because he's the only person in the office who understands how this should be done. Due to the low-volume developer-only nature of the product we have no formal test procedure or hardware.

I spoke to Chip tonight and he said he'll test the inventory tomorrow so we should be able to ship these boards by the end of the week.

Ken Gracey
  • Did the P1 start out as an fpga? If so how did it differ from the final micro?
    lardom wrote: »
    Did the P1 start out as an fpga? If so how did it differ from the final micro?

The P1 was developed on an FPGA, but with full-custom layout in mind. That meant that it was very simple.

Now, we are intending to synthesize the logic, so no need to worry about how difficult something will be to lay out by hand, as it will be done by software.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    The P1 was developed on an FPGA, but with full-custom layout in mind. That meant that it was very simple.

Now, we are intending to synthesize the logic, so no need to worry about how difficult something will be to lay out by hand, as it will be done by software.
    I'm looking ahead to the day when you start developing the P3. You'll be able to say that the P2 "...was very simple."
    Thanks for all the work you've done. :smile:
  • jac_goudsmitjac_goudsmit Posts: 418
    edited 2016-03-24 22:38
    FYI, I added the QSF file for the A9 board to my Github P1V repo but I don't have time right now to add the Parallax A9 board as a P1V target yet. It shouldn't be very hard to do but it looks like Chip renamed some pins since the A7 QSF was posted, so it won't compile with the fpga123.v top level file.

Chip, could you post your most recent QSF file for the A7 board? Or is that no longer supported?

See https://github.com/jacgoudsmit/P1V/commit/73a28a2591ca08b759150990d1e6b2e72d52f119

===Jac
  • @Rayman
    I couldn't find my earlier P1V for the A9 so I built another one.
    Instructions for building it in Quartus Prime 15.1 are included.
    The included spin file shows the pin assignments.
    There is also a "ready to go" .rbf file as well to load with px.exe.

• Cool, I'm going to try it out
    Thanks! This will save me a lot of time figuring this fpga stuff out.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2016-04-12 19:27
    Deleted superfluous comment...move along#
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    Third paragraph reads: "The heart of this board is the Alterna Cyclone V A-9 FPGA with 301,000 logic elements and 12.2 MB SRAM. And the Propeller 2 uses 98% of the available resources of this FPGA. ​"

Couple of corrections suggested:
    - typo on Altera name.
    - and it's 12.2 Mbit not MByte.

• Thanks @evanh
    Feedback passed to product manager.
  • Edited the article. Thanks, @evanh.
    ozpropdev,

Been a while but I finally got around to trying out your top.rbf file for P1V on a P123-A9 board.
    It works! Thanks!

I guess I need to install an eeprom chip on P28 and P29 to make it bootable.

Was a little stumped at first when I tried to use PortB to turn on LEDs and it didn't.
    But, I just figured out that you have to set to 0 to make LED turn on.
    I think I need a new A9 board now, so I can leave this one in P1 mode...

BTW: How difficult would it be to access the DAC, ADC and colored LEDs?
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2016-06-02 20:41
    There's at least one P1V image that does all that, Ray. Pumps 'lost in space' through the dacs and exercises all the leds.

edit: Actually not 100% sure on the ADC.
    Can p2 boot from eeprom yet?
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Can p2 boot from eeprom yet?
    I thought P2 was going to boot from SPI flash? Has that been changed?