Propeller 1-2-3 FPGA Board (#60054) available to Forum Members $375

1235789

Comments

  • Rayman wrote: »
    Now that there's a new P2 image, what will be the cog# and RAM differences between A7 and A9?
    Chip indicated that the A9 would support 16 cogs and 1MB hub ram. :)


    Melbourne, Australia
  • Rayman wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide between the A7 and A9 version...<br />
    Is the A7 version with resistor fix now available?<br />
    Now that there's a new P2 image, what will be the cog# and RAM differences between A7 and A9?

    The A9 will hold all the cogs,, plus every pin can be a smart pin.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 8,893
    edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Well I don't need smartpins or all the cogs.
    Just want to work on lcd interface...
    Do need Ram though. 256k minimum
    Also is clock speed the same?
    Prop Info and Apps: http://www.rayslogic.com/
  • I ordered an A7 123 board a few days ago, I hope to join in the fun soon
  • Roadster wrote: »
    I ordered an A7 123 board a few days ago, I hope to join in the fun soon
    Sounds like they're going like hot cakes! We'd all better get our orders in or they will be all gone! :-)

  • David Betz wrote: »
    Roadster wrote: »
    I ordered an A7 123 board a few days ago, I hope to join in the fun soon
    Sounds like they're going like hot cakes! We'd all better get our orders in or they will be all gone! :-)

    Only 22 available as of 1:00PM EST. Waiting to hear if they go out with the Pin 1 fix, but I think Chip or Ken said they would.
    Infernal Machine
  • Ken at one point offered all existing A7 customers a $100 upgrade to the A9 board when it comes out. I don't suppose that offer will be extended to those who buy A7 boards now? It's basically like getting the A7 for free if you had planned to buy the A9 anyway.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Ken at one point offered all existing A7 customers a $100 upgrade to the A9 board when it comes out. I don't suppose that offer will be extended to those who buy A7 boards now? It's basically like getting the A7 for free if you had planned to buy the A9 anyway.

    It is vital to Parallax to get as much P2 code exercised as they can, as soon as they can.
    Plus I cannot imagine they treat any A7 customers differently => all A7 buyers would get that offer, and any board shipped now, would be Resistor patched.

  • jmg wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Ken at one point offered all existing A7 customers a $100 upgrade to the A9 board when it comes out. I don't suppose that offer will be extended to those who buy A7 boards now? It's basically like getting the A7 for free if you had planned to buy the A9 anyway.

    It is vital to Parallax to get as much P2 code exercised as they can, as soon as they can.
    Plus I cannot imagine they treat any A7 customers differently => all A7 buyers would get that offer, and any board shipped now, would be Resistor patched.
    If that's true I may consider ordering one myself.

  • RaymanRayman Posts: 8,893
    edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I think that offer was for people with a broken board when no solution was in sight. I doubt they would extend it to repaired boards, now that they have a fix...
    Prop Info and Apps: http://www.rayslogic.com/
  • Rayman wrote: »
    I think that offer was for people with a broken board when no solution was in sight. I doubt they would extend it to repaired boards, now that they have a fix...
    Yeah, I figured it was too good to be true. I don't really need it anyway since I have the DE2-115 which works fine.

  • I'm waiting to hear from Ken or Chip.
    Infernal Machine
  • Publison wrote: »
    I'm waiting to hear from Ken or Chip.

    We will upgrade any A7 customer to an A9 when it's available for $100.
  • We need to fix our inventory of existing a7 boards, so that the resistor is added to the A1 ball.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    I'm waiting to hear from Ken or Chip.

    We will upgrade any A7 customer to an A9 when it's available for $100.
    Wow! That's very generous of Parallax. Of course, that should come as no surprise. Parallax has always been generous! Thanks!

  • Just ordered my very own 1-2-3 A7 board! :-)
  • Do we really need the fix?
    Isn't 50 MHz good enough?
    What freq can we get with fix?
    Prop Info and Apps: http://www.rayslogic.com/
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Do we really need the fix?
    Isn't 50 MHz good enough?
    What freq can we get with fix?
    I think the idea is that you can get a real PLL with the resistor fix rather than just a fixed 50mhz clock.

  • Rayman wrote: »
    Do we really need the fix?
    Isn't 50 MHz good enough?
    What freq can we get with fix?

    50MHz is good enough to run code, but the PLL is likely to be useful for more complete testing of designs that are frequency specific, like USB and Composite.

    I've not seen a table summary of how the final P2 PLL differs from the FPGA PLL.
    ie it would better to test using P2 PLL rules, if those are more constraining than FPGA PLL.

  • User Name wrote: »
    Tranquilo, Loopy. Chip isn't supporting the BeMicroCVA9 just for you. I rather doubt you even entered his mind when he declared a few weeks ago that the BeMicro CVA9 would be one of the supported boards.

    I now understand this. I have attempted to be very clear that I am not demanding anything that distracts from the development path.
    Hwang Xian Shen, Puddleby-on-the-Marsh.
    All things considered, I can live and thrive without Microsoft products. LINUX is just fine.
  • I'm going to order mine today.
    $100 upgrade offer makes it an easy decision...
    Prop Info and Apps: http://www.rayslogic.com/
  • What pins are PB0-PB3 connected to? The schematic PDF is only providing the FPGA pins.

    Actually, is there a full listing somewhere for the P2 pins?
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 12,929
    edited October 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Before I fry my new 1-2-3 A7 board, what is the recommended supply voltage? I know the board says 9-14V DC but what is the best choice? Also, I assume that the connector is center positive. Is that correct?

    Edit: I also notice that 5A are required? Is that really true? The DE2-115 power supply is only 2A.
  • 12v is good david

    Center positive is correct

    At least for the stuff we're doing now, a few hundred mA is enough, so using the DE2-115 supply is fine

  • Tubular wrote: »
    12v is good david

    Center positive is correct

    At least for the stuff we're doing now, a few hundred mA is enough, so using the DE2-115 supply is fine
    Thanks for the info. I will try the DE2-115 power supply for now. I also ordered a 5A supply from Amazon that should come in a few days.

  • I used mine, and it works great on the 123. Just plug it in.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball! @opengeekorg ---> Be Excellent To One Another SKYPE = acuity_doug
    Parallax colors simplified: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/123709/commented-graphics-demo-spin<br>
  • potatohead wrote: »
    I used mine, and it works great on the 123. Just plug it in.
    I need a separate supply for the 1-2-3 board because I may be sending my DE2-115 board back to Parallax so they can give it to someone else. They gave it to me for P2 work the last time around but it seems selfish to keep it if I have my own 1-2-3 board and someone else could make use of it. Of course, I guess they still have lots of 1-2-3 boards they could give away if the wanted to.

  • David,

    I bought the power supply in this message (earlier in this thread) it has been working fine with my 1-2-3.

    MOV OUTA, PEACE <div>Rick </div><div>"I've stopped using programming languages with Garbage Collection, they keep deleting my source code!!"</div>
  • Got my 1-2-3 A7 board working after having to install new FTDI drivers on my Win7 laptop. I assume that we get only 12 COGs on the 1-2-3 A7 board? At least that is what it seems like after loading the "all cogs blink" demo.
Sign In or Register to comment.