Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can new forum have RSS feeds? — Parallax Forums

Can new forum have RSS feeds?

I know the old one didn't, does this fancy new software have it?

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    What is an RSS feed?
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-07 18:14
    Roxanna, don't listen to him. Heater's wearing his curmudgeon hat today.
    With that out of the way, the forum does support RSS, but there doesn't appear to be a link to it. You can View Source and see it right at the top. Here's the one for the General Discussion category.
    http://forums.parallax.com/categories/general-discussion/feed.rss

I am assuming it's proper RSS. It looks like good old fashioned RSS XML when you open the link in Chrome.
    Gordon,
    Yes, my curmudgeon hat is getting bigger every day, Soon I will not be able to see out.
    Seems if I want to partake of an RSS feed I have to install an extension to Chrome or whatever browser I use. 
    Why do people do that? I have far to many notifications in life already.
    Oh, and who is using XML in this day and age? Get with the times guys,
  • Thank you Gordon! Just what I want.
    Heater, I'm old school, what can I say?
     I use no plug in, I let feedroll create Java that I put on my homepage so I have a single page with all my tech RSS feeds.
    Parallax, how about adding a link to that?
  • These forums do natively produce RSS Feed data but Parallax is not actively supporting it.

If you'd like to use RSS, you are welcome to subscribe to it on any browser that still supports it but we will not be adding a specific link to it.
    edited 2015-07-08 20:51
    Roxanna77,
    I use no plug in, I let feedroll create Java that I put on my homepage so I have a single page with all my tech RSS feeds.
    Sorry I don't understand. There is no way I can get any Java into  my web browser with out installing a plugin to display old time Java Applets.
    Of course Java is never going anywhere near any browser of mine, what with being trojanware with it's Ask search invasion. Not to mention being slow and clunky.
    I  have no idea what feedroll is. The best link I can find to it is nearly ten tears old. 
    Edit: Sorry for the old style quote delimiters above. I cannot be assed with messing with the new style HTML block quotes.

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-08 21:17
    I don't think I've ever used RSS except for testing, but for site owners, one benefit of it is that search engines love it. They use the feeds as a kind of sitemap. If they find an RSS link they'll hit it regularly -- like every hour or even more -- to keep the listings updated.
    If Parallax doesn't want to actively support the feed by having an overt button, you might consider having it as a simple link along the bottom of pages, even if just on the category and tagged pages only, to let Google and Bing find the feeds. It's in the page source, but without a <a> link to it, the search engines may not put much weight to it.
    So while fewer people may be using RSS these days, it still offers a hidden benefit for SEO.