Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum Issue: Speed — Parallax Forums

Forum Issue: Speed

Ha!  No, this isn't another item to put on that big list.  Instead, I want to say the software operates quickly.  I've been using it desktop some and mostly mobile.  Runs great, is quick, interactive, and all that stuff.

I find I can move through a few discussions more quickly.  And others may vary in this, but the basics are working and the interaction is nice and fast.

Appreciated.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ah yes, no complains in the speed department from me.

• I noticed while participating in another venue.  Sloooow.  I show up here to check in, and zing!  Done, next.

Love it.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    Yes, nice to see this improvement. The old software had a flaw that always reloaded every page when using page back and forth. It also had that quirky flaw of reposting to a topic if refreshing after a post.
  • What is really impressive is that the software is running on servers that have half the resources of those we used on the old site. The software appears to make much better use of caching. The database traffic is about 30% of what we were seeing on the old site.
  • Excellent.  Let's hope that trend continues.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    It seems to me that the speed improvement must have been an artifact of the low number of users at the changeover. Because lately the forum has slowed down a lot, it doesn't feel fresh and speedy anymore. Just clicking 'Recent Discussions' takes a fair amount of time.

-Tor
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Yes, I get lots of timeouts and need to try reloading the page. I thought it may be the internet here although other sites don't seem to have the same problems.
    I certainly hope it's not the forum servers as forum activity has dropped so much, if there are problems now, then we are in for a rough ride if it ever gets back to the old days.
  • I've not seen much of a change.  Yes, overall activity is a small fraction of what it can be.  Bet it doubles as the nice months pass and the P2 FPGA starts rocking proper.

Most requests of mine complete in a few seconds tops.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    What is really impressive is that the software is running on servers that have half the resources of those we used on the old site. The software appears to make much better use of caching. The database traffic is about 30% of what we were seeing on the old site.

Is that 30% absolute, or corrected for a lower user rate in the new forum ?
    Just now all pages are fully loaded in almost exactly 4 seconds. According to Chrome's dev tools. Which compares nicely with many other sites I visit. Faster than  some slower than others. 
    I don't recall seeing any time outs or annoying hangups.
    That is over the pond in Finland.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Yep, sounds about right, Heater. But for some time after the changeover the pages loaded much faster. When I clicked 'Recent Discussions'' it came back so quickly that I sometimes thought I hadn't clicked anything. Not anymore.

-Tor
    We all have a different experience. Didn't somebody complain already the forum being slow almost immediately after it was launched?
    Here at the office the forum pages are up in a tad over two seconds. A bit quicker than at home just now. 
    That's even with cache disabled in Chrome's dev tools.

• The reduction in database traffic was an accurate measurement. The previous software was constantly generating backend queries to manage sessions that did not need to happen. Our largest consumers of bandwidth are still the web crawlers from the major search engines.