Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum suggestion: Remove avatars from discussion lists — Parallax Forums

Forum suggestion: Remove avatars from discussion lists

The following is offered as a suggestion only, and not a bug report or other critical issue, and therefore can be given a lower priority.
I believe one way to help the forum look more "professional" would be to remove the avatars from the discussion list pages. All other elements, including the initial and last poster, date/time of post, etc., can stay.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Sounds like an idea worth trying.  The present defaults are clearly  ill-conceived.
  • I don't know, there are enough forums without avatar/user images that it can get really dry, stuffy and IBM corporate-like.  I think there is room for them, however the current default batch should all be canned and replaced with an empty white avatar unless/until someone adds their own.

• In defense of the idea, good design doesn't require lots of pictures. Sometimes, too many elements simply ends up being distracting. 
    With the above, it should come as no surprise I prefer Danish furniture to ornate Victorian furniture.
    Keep the avatars for the posts, though. In fact, make them bigger (sized appropriately for mobile presentation, of course).
  • Oops, my bad.

I agree, the discussion list avatars should definately go.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I like the avatars but not too big. I often use them as a visual to scroll down to my last post on a busy thread, and sometimes use it to determine if I skim or read or ignore a post. I would sorely miss this way I filter posts.
  • Cluso, I believe they are talking about the forum listing of topics, not inside the actual topic thread. 
    Ok thanks. Yes that makes sense. I would like that screen to show the first line or two of the posts like the old forum software, but will wait for more pressing items to be solved first.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Avatars on the discussion listing page is just fine. 
    Personally I would only have the avatar of the  thread creator.
    That page certainly needs al lot of layout and styling repair it's as ugly as sin. Simplify it like so:http://talk.resin.io/
    Make the avatars a bit bigger so we can actual make out the picture.
    Put back my old Avatar! 
  • I gave you a new avatar, why not try that?
    Sapphire,
    I didn't change it earlier because I was so annoyed that my old avatar got casually thrown away. The gravatar was so ugly I thought I'd leave it there to annoy people.
    Anyway, here we go: How do I look?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Posters will warm to it !!
  • 6.3V all the way!
    -Phil
    Heater: really, you don't have a backup?
  • Sapphire,
    I didn't change it earlier because I was so annoyed that my old avatar got casually thrown away. The gravatar was so ugly I thought I'd leave it there to annoy people.

Nice. I'd say "cool" but that's wouldn't be right. How about "glowing"?
    I'm glad to see the watermelon face gone!

• Sapphire,

The migration tool was corrupting some of the avatars during migration. We decided to exclude avatars to eliminate the error. If you do not have a copy of your old avatar, we can obtain it from the old site and email it to you.
    I have plenty  of back ups.  http://the.linuxd.org/
    It was the principle of the thing.

• That page certainly needs al lot of layout and styling repair it's as ugly as sin. Simplify it like so:http://talk.resin.io/

I just took another look, a little deeper.

That is a seriously nice, deceptively simply layout and action.
    Stats if you're interested under the first post, not cluttering up the main menu or discussion list.

Very uncluttered, and strangely the black bg doesn't make it dreary or too dark.
    Parallax probably could have saved a ton on admin/support costs if it could have been in some sort of forum software run-off.

• Yes, that is a very nice page, and clever use of CSS. But the avatars being dropped as the screen size decreases doesn't happen by itself. I think we need to be honest about the situation and move toward things -- at least in this initial round of fixups -- that can be realistically accomplished with the resources at hand.