Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropellerGCC XMM with multiple 23LC1024 — Parallax Forums

PropellerGCC XMM with multiple 23LC1024

yetiyeti Posts: 818
edited 2015-07-06 16:07 in Propeller 1
Is PropellerGCC-1.9.x capable of handling multiple 23LC1024 SRAM chips as XMMemory?
How would that be declared in the board's config file?
I'm thinking of 2 or 4 such RAMs and a Gadget-Gangster-Propeller-Platform-SD(-USB) (or Propellers on breadboards)...

Comments

• There is no reason this couldn't be done but it would require a new cache driver. The C3 cache driver supports two 32k SRAM chips so the code in that driver could be used with some modifications to support two or possibly four 23LC1024 chips.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2015-07-06 16:21
    Ok... so it definitely is not an "it is easy but yeti just didn't see how to do it" thing with e.g. a tricky config file using 2 or 4 declarations with the existing SRAM24 driver... that's the good news...
    ...the bad news: I just got an extra stack of things on my desk for my ever lasting near to endless to do list and exploring this deeper has to be beamed into the future.  :-(Maybe we'll have 23LC2048 or even 23LC8192 then... :-)
  • Sorry there isn't a simple configuration file value to change to make this work. In fact, we're moving from one XMM model to another so it would probably be better to implement this in the new model anyway. Maybe by the time this bumps to the top of your list the new model will be in production. :-)
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2015-07-07 01:37
    Sorry there isn't a simple configuration file value to change to make this work. In fact, we're moving from one XMM model to another so it would probably be better to implement this in the new model anyway.
    I noticed fewer board config files in 1.9.x than in 1.0.y and differences in in them... it looks like work in progress...Maybe by the time this bumps to the top of your list the new model will be in production. :-)

I was thinking about a minimal board with up to C3+Synapse's memory sizes (EEPROM, flash, SRAM, SD card) but without all the other bells and whistles of the C3 while favouring simplicity over speed whenever I have to choose between both of them.

Ok... the new XMM model will evolve while I am distracted... probably... we'll see...