Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Finally, cleaning up the mess in My Bookmarks — Parallax Forums

Finally, cleaning up the mess in My Bookmarks

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2015-07-05 11:00 in General Discussion
Having acquired 2942 unwanted bookmarks in My Bookmarks has really set me off.

But without any help from Parallax or youall, I have discovered how to clean up.

Those little Gold Stars in the listing with change to White Stars and go away if you need to manage your list.  Right now I am down to 2915 bookmarks. 

At least this is a bit faster for removal than unwanted 'conversations' (previous called Private Messages").  I spent 30 minutes removing unwanted listing back to 2010 on a one-by-one basis.

Comments

• Arrgh...................
    97 pages of Bookmarks are not going to go away without some serious effort.

I wonder how many Heater has?
  • Well, I am down to 46 pages of Bookmarks after some dedicated effort at tedious mouse clicking.

Am I mysteriously the only person that acquired 2974 unwanted Bookmarks?  Heater claims he got none, and the glitch seems possibility related to the level of one's previous participation.
  • I didn't get any either.But you have far more posts than I do, in many more discussion threads.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-07-07 14:38
    Well, Heater has beat us all in posting activity, but claims that he didn't get any.

I have gotten down to 20 pages remaining, but this is taking hours to get the Bookmark feature into useful shape. And of course, I presumed that if I got so many that a lot of people did as well.

BTW, in recent years I really have tried to let others have their chance to say things and slowed down on posting.... trying to get beyond the reflexive posting nonsense.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    I have 22 pages of bookmarks.Thanks for letting me know how to delete them.I don't know if I'll take the time to delete all of them or not....
    Bean
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2015-07-07 15:40
    Bookmarks seems to be a feature that hit a snag while info was being ported from old to new during the switch. Some people started out with many bookmarks, some started with none.

It wasn't tagged as an issue, but it has caught my attention as being strange. Adding it to the list.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I don't even know what a bookmark is. I certainly don't have any. Where does one get them from? How would one make ones own? Very mysterious. 
  • The star in the first post of a thread, upper right corner, creates a bookmark to that thread.

How people started out with varying amounts of these, I couldn't say for sure.
    edited 2015-07-07 16:46
    Ah, you mean that end of  the thread I almost never read because posts get added to the other end of the thread? That star thing that is so grayed out one would hardly notice it. 
  • Well, I never meant to complain just for me.  I presumed that if I got hit with all this, others did as well.

I am down to about 500+, and it is a tedious process to remove thousands. It has taken hours, not minutes.

So it seems that a wholesale removal of all as a reset just might be a good option.  Some of us do tend to clutter up our lives, and then want to just start over with Bookmarks. So it wouldn't merely be a transitional one-time feature.

The suggestion to allow one is allowed to organize them  in a Tree Structure, same as a Directory system would just make them all the more useful.  Now that the server is  'in The Cloud' that should be affordable in speed and space.

At this point, I just desire to have one page of book marks at most, and then be able to learn how that feeds into notifications to me of changes in information in those threads.
    Loopy,
    Look on the bright side. On the next forum migration all those old PM's and bookmarks you have just spent hours deleting will be back again! :) 
  • I am down to 212 Bookmarks for now.  It does seem that removal has been increasingly responsive, faster to do.

Regarding the next Forum migration, I hope to be long gone and have had my ashes scattered across the deep blue sea.
    Loopy,
    Noooo, don't say so.
    I am determined to live through another forum migration or two.
    I  want to see  this come right before I shuffle off my mortal inductor .
  • Studying Chinese and building bird houses seem more appealing right now that spending my old age clicking a mouse for hours on end to clean up a data field that an administrator might do in two minutes.
    Hmm...funny you should mention bird houses.
    I was just building a bird house. Not  for the birds  mind you, I need a place to keep my Raspberry Pi with a  peep hole for it's camera  module. 
    :)
    http://bccbb0d6f38d1c3dec17eaeddc737106d477d88a61d67d23ac5acf2adb463c.resindevice.io/

• All done, down to 5 Bookmarks of material worth revisiting.
  • I had two pages of bookmarks. Really odd selections, too. Most of it not stuff I would've selected. They're gone now.
    -Phil