Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Why wasn't a forum made for discussing the new forums? — Parallax Forums

Why wasn't a forum made for discussing the new forums?

RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
edited 2015-07-04 00:00 in General Discussion
Posts that will be of no use once the bugs are worked out are spreading rapidly through the General Discussion.

Excerpt from Migrating your forum to Vanilla Forums

Organize the feedback
... set up a special discussion thread where users can post their questions and concerns. Seems like a good idea, same as just about every other recommendation on that page.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-07-04 00:01
    It says to set up a thread not a whole forum.
    Besides we do have a forum for discussing the new forum. It's the new forum. :)
    Are other things being discussed in the forum? (Okay, there are a few other things being discussed but it sure seems like the new forum is mainly filled with discussion about the new forum.)
  • Yeah, I probably should have said "Category" instead anyway. This forum software seems to want to use a different way of organizing stuff. And the way it formats posts is absolutely bizarre. I had to edit 8 times to get something that looked like a human wrote it.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2015-07-04 00:35
    Yeah, I probably should have said "Category" instead anyway. This forum software seems to want to use a different way of organizing stuff. And the way it formats posts is absolutely bizarre. I had to edit 8 times to get something that looked like a human wrote it.

Just how much is this software used out in the real world ? The flaws are truly basic ones,and many.
    Amazing that this was the best choice found ?!

Ken has said there are more categories coming back, maybe they will create a Forum Feedback one, and shift the chaff into that ?  Yes, of course that should have been done from the start....
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-07-04 00:49
    I sure wish we had a preview mode so I could test what I learned on Vanilla's website.
    Oh well. Here it goes.
    1 * 2 * 3 * 4 = 
    4! or 24
    Edit: That didn't work. Here's the page about spoiler tags.Sorry for going OT. It seemed to fit since I learned from the Vanilla site.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    The spoiler thing is some kind of plugin for vanilla that I guess is not plugged in here.
    A typical example of useless fluff that I hope never comes here. 
    Hmm...RDL2004,
    I kind of know what you mean. But the problems here are legitimate and deserve to be up front and in your face. As it were. Not buried away in some basement. 
    I beginning to wonder if this can ever be fixed. It seems to be broken by design.
    If they are fixed then all this will become history soon enough, so no need to worry about it being in a separate section. 
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2015-07-04 01:09
    It was just a thought. Seemed like a good idea if stuff about the new forum was separated out somewhere. It could be archived later, when it becomes irrelevant.

By the way, you get a preview button when writing a completely new post, just not for a reply. Don't know why you can't preview a reply. Another quirk I guess.
    RDL2004,
    See, now you are doing it. The preview thing got me to, I forgot  to  mention it amid all the other troubles here.
    Thing is, if there were a whole new branch for forum complaints the entire tree would keel over in that direction.
    I'm seriously wondering if this software is worth continuing with. But then it's not up to me. 
  • Since the changeover bookmarked everything I every commented on, I am finding acrimonious threads from the previous changeover.

Should  we did those up and compare complaints then and nows.  We could then see if Parallax has learned anything.