Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum issue: Read unread posts? — Parallax Forums

Forum issue: Read unread posts?

There doesn't seem to be a way to list only unread posts, which is the way I read all forums. I see 3045 pages of posts, am I supposed to wade through all of them to find the unread posts? It is not practical.

- Tor

Comments

• Click on Mark All Viewed in the top banner, and you'll be set from now on.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    ? Why would I mark all viewed? That's what I would do when I have read what I wanted to read. Which I haven't, and which I can't, the way it works. I can see the read threads together with the unread threads. I do not see a button to read (see) only unread posts/threads.

-Tor
  • SapphireSapphire Posts: 496
    edited 2015-07-03 18:10
    You have to do it once to flush the buffer. When this first came on-line, every post from the past was unread, so I hit that, and it's been fine since.
    When you click Recent Discussions', do you only see threads with unread posts? Even after you read some of them, leave, and come back?
  • I see all the posts, but the un-read threads (discussions) have a blue background, and a # New next to the title. Read discussions have a white background, an no # New.
    Well yes, exactly. And that's what doesn't scale. When I haven't read the forum for some time I will read the most interesting threads first, and come back to the rest later. But now that will be spread out over several pages because it's interleaved with already read threads. That makes the forum difficult to follow. Every decent forum has a way to get to your unread posts as one stream, in fact that's the only way I read forums I actively follow. And I could do that with the VB version of this forum. It's mandatory for high activity forums.

-Tor
    Found another horrible bug. If a thread has, say, 10 unread pages (which can easily happen on this forum), then when you click the thread title you go to the first unread post. Perfect. But if you don't have time to read all the pages, or have to stop for other reasons, the forum software believes you have read all the remaining pages! You basically lose all the posts! The VB version kept track, this software doesn't. This won't do.

-Tor
  • Yup, that's how it is working. Kind of annoying on both points (interleaved read and un-read discussions) and the jump to the last post after leaving the discussion. Just  keep one train of thought, read through all the post in order from beginning to end. This is not something YOU are in control of. Dumbed down for the average user. No power user options. 
  • Apparently the record of who has read what thread wasn't migrated, so as far as the new forum is concerned nobody has read anything yet.  This results in UI fail because the visual design only works if most of the threads have been viewed (normal-weight text for the thread title, grey vertical swatch on the left) and only a handful are unread (bold-weight text in the thread title, color vertical swatch).