Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What is "activity" ? — Parallax Forums

What is "activity" ?

What is "activity"?
When I hit that link I get a page full of random gibberish from all kind of people with no sense to it.
What is it? Why do we have it?
Perhaps it should go  away?

Comments

• I think it is a public wall that people can post things to. Each item posted then has a "comment" button you can use to add comments to that item.

It's very social media-esque. Kind of like Twitter or Facebook for the entire forum....that right there should seal its fate!

I see no value to it in my world. 
  • There was one on the old forum as well. 
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    mindrobots,
    "Kind of like Twitter or Facebook..."
    OK I'm with you. Random gibberish as I suspected.
    Should be removed ASAP.

• "Tear down the Wall!
    Tear down the Wall!
    Tear down the Wall!"

:lol:
  • Never mind, I was looking at activity in my profile, not the site activity. You might have to let the site activity collect more before it is useful. 
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-07-02 16:34
    === removed my complaint as it no longer applies ===
  • So, that's "the wall"? I saw in notifications preferences (if you are
    able to find them) some options relating to "your wall". I was
    wondering what that was. More childish nonsense I guess.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Well, a wall is something we make use of the way home from the pub and we realize our bladders are a bit full. It all makes sense to me now. 

• As Xanadu mentioned, isn't this "activity" the same as "visitor message" in the old forum?In the old forum, I believe one could turn off visitor messages.IMO "activity" is almost a non-issue. There are plenty of other things to grumble about besides this.
  • There are plenty of other things to grumble about besides this.
    And that's the real problem. Given Parallax's past failings with forum software, this roll out should have been so well prepared and tested that going live was almost a non-event and users knew exactly what to expect. Instead, look what we got. It just baffles me why a company would do such a thing to themselves.

• And that's the real problem. Given Parallax's past failings with forum software, this roll out should have been so well prepared and tested that going live was almost a non-event and users knew exactly what to expect. Instead, look what we got. It just baffles me why a company would do such a thing to themselves.

I don't know enough about forum software to know what sort of options Parallax had before switching to this version.
    I was prepared to have all the old threads read only. Being able to update previous threads is a huge plus to me. Having links to these previous threads broken was a big issue but this has been fixed.
    My main complaint now is the loss of the robotics forum (and with it Gordon McComb). I have a feeling this will be fixed.
    The annoying new avatars and the general layout I imagine can also be fixed. I'm not above grumbling a bit as I wait for these things to be fixed but I am willing to wait.
    It would be hard for me to put into words what the Parallax forums mean to me. I feel like a big chunk of what I know about electronics and robots I've learned from this forum. An even bigger chunk of what I know about the Propeller I've learned from this forum.
    I'm very grateful Parallax has provided this forum and I'm willing to wait semi-patiently for them to get it fixed.
  • Hi all,
    My opinion of what is Activity and how useful it is, is changing.

It appears to be available to post an public announcement.  And then allows the originator to remove the announcement when no longer required.

I have managed to take down all the junk I unintentionally put in Activity.

I won't debate pro and con. It may be useful if everyone understands it.
  • Loopy,
    PM's are now documented:
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/161418/how-to-sending-a-pm#latest

I just tried it and it is private.