Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Watch an F-16 fighter jet blast a drone out of the air — Parallax Forums

Watch an F-16 fighter jet blast a drone out of the air

Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
edited 2015-07-01 22:13 in General Discussion
http://www.cnet.com/news/watch-an-f-16-fighter-jet-blast-a-drone-out-of-the-air/

The F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet is a venerable machine that's been around since the late 1970s. Despite its long history, it can still learn new tricks. A Royal Danish Air Force F-16 participated in a live-fire exercise that involved shooting down a remote drone in mid-flight with a guided missile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=19&v=SdWBjhUrw5U

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Was this jet on a treadmill, by any chance?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    The video doesn't work for me.
  • The video doesn't work for me.

Trying to figure out video syntax...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Works now. For some reason I was expecting to see it shooting down a quad-copter. This is what happens when the media keeps calling them drones.  >.>
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Back in the 1970's the Seawolf missile could knock out an incoming artillery shell.
    So nah, not impressed.
    The problem is that whilst that jet can take out a drone or two the enemy can have so many of those, for millions of times less cost,  that you cannot win.
    That's why the star wars initiative thing was so silly. 
    It's like burning ants in the forest.
    Oh yeah, I want that drone, never mind the quad copter thing.  

• Works now. For some reason I was expecting to see it shooting down a quad-copter. This is what happens when the media keeps calling them drones.  >.>

Bummed here as well. That drone is an easy target for an F-16. Seeing an F-16 try to take out a quadcopter would be a cool video. Or at least limit the F-16 to guns only. That's at least a challenge, but dates back to WWI: