Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Saying adieu — Parallax Forums

Saying adieu

GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
edited 2015-07-01 20:31 in General Discussion
With the dissolution of the Robotics category, and no explanation forthcoming as to why the categories have been pared down, there is really nothing for me here. I've spoken my piece of mind regarding the rollout of this forum, and while I'm sure matters of aesthetics and usability will be eventually addressed, the lack of a "home" for my principle interest gives me no satisfaction of participation.
Hanging around in a <censored> isn't my idea of using my time constructively. I'd rather find those other nuggets out there that reflect an interest similar to mine. There are some new robotics-oriented forums started by other members here that I want to check out. I'm also looking forward to a new project I'm hoping to do with Erco.
I'm leaving PM notification on in case anyone needs to reach me. Best wishes to my friends here.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-07-01 16:37
    I'm not sure PM's are working. All I get is "Activity" which may be public. Not sure as I a a Moderator, and maybe I can see everything.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-07-01 22:28
    Gordon
    OMG no. Don't leave us. 
    I totally sympathize with you. Robotics is huge in the hobby world. Parallax makes robotic stuff. I cannot fathom the idea of not having a prominent robotics section on the forum.
    ***** festing is only a temporary diversion. Companies are always say they like customer feed back. Well if we don't give it nothing happens.

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    Private Messages are not private.

I am trying to be constructive and proactive, but I begin to wonder what real work can be done with the current situation being so odd.

• I'm not sure PM's are working. All I get is "Activity" which may be public. Not sure as I a a Moderator, and maybe I can see everything.

As a Moderator, you can easily open another account as a regular user with regular user rights to see what is actually going on.

We are all in the dark, but there are ways to get beyond being a Moderator.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2015-07-01 16:41
    Gordon, you are greatly valued here so hopefully the settling of dust allows a robotics forum to be found again. I agree that a robotics sub-forum is imperative on the Parallax forums. It is a specific application area of Parallax product that is critical in my opinion.

In the meantime, I have been spending a lot of time on the SuperDroidRobots site while investigating things for a niche market idea I have for an inspection robot. I am learning quite a bit from their site and this particular page is really nice:
    http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/custom.aspx/how-to-build-a-robot/70/
  • Gordon,
    Give Parallax a chance to fix the forum or if you feel so inclined give Ken a call but please don't leave so quickly.
    We all need your Arduino expertise.
    :chip:
  • Gordon,
    Give Parallax a chance to fix the forum or if you feel so inclined give Ken a call but please don't leave so quickly.
    We all need your Arduino expertise.
    :chip:

That's right. We're meeting on the topic today at 1:30. I'll make a post after the meeting. 
    Just hang in there and we'll get this in order. If you want to complain to me personally you can always call my direct line 916 625 6801 (rings straight to my cell) and I can simply listen. But it would be best to give us a little time to get our plans together.
    Ken Gracey 
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-01 21:48
    Thanks for the replies. I'll certainly check back now and then to see how things are progressing, but after voicing my opinion in numerous threads, I don't think any more harping is going to help me or Parallax. 
    I'm not sure why management decided to trim the categories; it's not the kind of thing that can be attributed to an oversight. Since there's nothing for me to do here other than <censored> -- have no desire to shuffle through a morass of topics that aren't interesting to me -- I'd rather use my time more productively. Should the organization of the forum improve I'm happy to contribute regularly again.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2015-07-01 21:44
    Gordon: I feel as strongly as you that Robotics needs its own forum restored. I'm also sure that Ken & team has been slammed with all of our comments & complaints, and will restore the Robotics forum ASAP. Check out other robot forums, there are plenty. And hopefully soon we will chatting in the revamped super dynamo Parallax robotics forum to discuss our hyperspeed antigravity death ray joint project.
    Edit: Oops, I accidently spilled the beans about our top secret project but my one-hour edit window has expired.
    Notice: erco would like to recall the comment about hyperspeed antigravity death ray joint project.
  • I hope to see you back Gordon. I am hopeful that Parallax will get the Robotics forum restored.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Please refrain from using words that aren't acceptable on these forums. Too much time is being spent editing posts for language I shouldn't have to.
  • So people don't get the wrong idea about my language, I used a common word -- often spoken on primetime television -- also meaning a dog in heat. 
    Feel free to apply the bad words list that surely is part of this fine forum software.
    Chris Savage,
    This is way off topic, but I never figured out what words were not acceptable. Is there a blacklist we can check somewhere?
    I know that the word for a horse like animal or stupid person would get replaced with three asterisks in the old forum. I never understood why such a harmless word would be though.
    Meanwhile far worse words seemed to pass by the forum software unscathed and never picked up by the moderators.
    As for school children, having once been one I'm sure that by the time they are old enough to be thinking about micro-controllers they already have command of far worse language than we like to specify here.
    In general I agree with the idea of using good language here and anywhere. It's not the words themselves though but the thought behind them.  

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    This is way off topic, but I never figured out what words were not acceptable. Is there a blacklist we can check somewhere?

I know that the word for a horse like animal or stupid person would get replaced with three asterisks in the old forum. I never understood why such a harmless word would be though.
    Meanwhile far worse words seemed to pass by the forum software unscathed and never picked up by the moderators.
    As for school children, having once been one I'm sure that by the time they are old enough to be thinking about micro-controllers they already have command of far worse language than we like to specify here.
    In general I agree with the idea of using good language here and anywhere. It's not the words themselves though but the thought behind them.  

Honestly, I'm not sure how to answer that and hoped it wouldn't be necessary. The way I speak around adults is often different from how I speak around young children. Whether children probably know the words or not it isn't polite to use them and since we have young children on this forum I would hope most adults know when not to use certain words, especially since they don't typically use them.

Quite frankly it's bad enough that they have to see some of the arguments that are going. Children are impressionable. I speak from experience coming from parents who divorced when I was very young. I do remember most of the fights/arguments. 
    Let's just please tone it down. Nothing positive or constructive is going to come from using strong language.
    Chris,
    I do know what you mean and I do agree with not using words inappropriately.
    What I don't  know is what is acceptable or not. And that is probably because I speak English as opposed to American. 
    It's an odd thing but even very educated, civilized and correct English parents can use words that might make you blush with their children. In an affectionate way.