Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New to spin user menu question help — Parallax Forums

New to spin user menu question help

dmkmediadmkmedia Posts: 9
edited 2015-06-25 00:15 in Propeller 1
i am using spin to create a user menu that will be on a TFT screen hopefully but i am just playing with spin at the moment to see how to do the menu and store feedback from the user

ie
(u) to store users name
(p) to store users number
(m) to store a pre written message 144 letters long

once this is stored it will stay in the propeller activity board even after boot im assuming these values will be stored on the mem card??

whats the best way about this??
is there a menu sample around here somewhere i tried searching but i cant find anything that stands out

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,926
    edited 2015-06-24 13:41
    Which parts to you have to input? If you save a variable or DAT item to the EEPROM using the item's RAM address, it will be persistent between boot-ups (you'll need and EEPROM object). Long messages can be pre-built in a DAT section.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-06-24 15:19
    I'm guessing this is for your FONA project?

I haven't had time to work on it lately but I have some of these sorts of methods added to my "FonaMethods" object.

https://github.com/ddegn/FonaWithPropeller

The method "DisplayRecordNames" lists all the names and numbers stored in upper EEPROM and the method "SaveNameAndNumber" saves this data to upper EEPROM.

The method "SaveNameAndNumber" uses pointers as its parameters. I think the top object "FonaTest" accepts input from the terminal in order to fill the buffers with the correct info.

I just checked and "NewRecord" is the method which prompts the user for name and number input. I haven't tested this and many of the other methods yet.

I'll try to at least get the program to compile and update the GitHub with the latest code.

Unfortunately the object "FonaMethods" doesn't compile and I don't have time to do more than to get it to compile right now. Hopefully some of the code will provide hints on how to do this sort of stuff.

Which screen do you plan to use?

Edit: The GitHub repository has been updated with code which compiles. The code is still untested. I'd be very surprised if there aren't large errors in the code at this point.
  • dmkmediadmkmedia Posts: 9
    edited 2015-06-25 00:15
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is for your FONA project?

I haven't had time to work on it lately but I have some of these sorts of methods added to my "FonaMethods" object.

https://github.com/ddegn/FonaWithPropeller

The method "DisplayRecordNames" lists all the names and numbers stored in upper EEPROM and the method "SaveNameAndNumber" saves this data to upper EEPROM.

The method "SaveNameAndNumber" uses pointers as its parameters. I think the top object "FonaTest" accepts input from the terminal in order to fill the buffers with the correct info.

I just checked and "NewRecord" is the method which prompts the user for name and number input. I haven't tested this and many of the other methods yet.

I'll try to at least get the program to compile and update the GitHub with the latest code.

Unfortunately the object "FonaMethods" doesn't compile and I don't have time to do more than to get it to compile right now. Hopefully some of the code will provide hints on how to do this sort of stuff.

Which screen do you plan to use?

Edit: The GitHub repository has been updated with code which compiles. The code is still untested. I'd be very surprised if there aren't large errors in the code at this point.

the screen is from ebay a chinese import with no instructions. i managed to get the details eventually its in my other post about my screen so i will continue that over there dont want to tie them both up for now.......

but i will check out the code and see if i can learn anything from what you have done thanks Mr Degan