Why Are Too Few Females in Robotics? Could It Be the Robots?

Comments

• erco wrote: »
    Girls like fire, right? :)

You know. For cooking & baking stuff. :)

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • And motivation of their men.
  • Wait a minute! I am a female and I love burning stuff and blowing stuff up!
    Though I have been accused of being a weirdo at times. Mostly by other women.
    What I like about FIRST is those girls seem to understand. FIRST and STEM are the
    best things to have happened in our schools. Not only are the kids happily engaged in
    active learning it is bringing a much better mix of kids together!
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• Add one more girl.

11-year-old Gitanjali Rao won this year's Discovery Education and 3M Young Scientist Challenge.
    Her winning invention was a sensor that can more accurately detect lead levels in water compared to current methods.

http://www.businessinsider.com/winner-of-3m-americas-top-young-scientist-lead-levels-in-water-2017-10
    Infernal Machine
  • Great story Publison! Thanks.
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • And let's not forget these Afghani girls who've overcome incredible odds to win a robotics contest in Europe:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/world/afghanistan-girls-robotics.html

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • @PhiPi - another great story!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Great stories.

Just saw this doll on a balancing Segway, aimed at STEM girls.

https://www.educents.com/smartgurlz-with-maria-doll-app-controlled.html

smartgurlz_maria3_red_3ea9.jpg
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Met this tenth-grade girl briefly at Maker Faire, but didn't see her exhibit. Just checked out her website, WOW. She's a ball of energy. Watch out for hot Coco! She'll give Ladyada a run for her money in a few years!

https://dtla.makerfaire.com/maker/entry/126/

http://www.veryhappyrobot.com/

- Pablo Picasso
  • @erco, @Ken - We need to make sure that Coco gets a FLiP.
    Whit+

• Am I the only one who still thinks CoCo stands for Radio Shack's TRS-80 Color Computer?

- Pablo Picasso
  • No, I still have a CoCo2 and CoCo3.
    Infernal Machine
  • I saw Coco K - and went immediately to Coco(a) Krispies...

Whit+

• It might be Nadine keeping females (AND males) out of robotics. She's creepy and has MANHANDS (Seinfeld reference).

- Pablo Picasso
  • Not sure if my 8 y.o. twin girls will be roboticists, but they came to Dad for some electronic lights & sounds in their pinewood derby cars. It's a charming first step towards kicking some butt!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Go girls! Great derby cars and Dad hacks!
    Whit+

• Thingiverse has a whole bunch of 3D printed Pine car style cars. Maybe get your girls into 3D printing.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• WhitWhit Posts: 3,970
    I love this commercial for the University of Phoenix encouraging women to enter tech fields. Their YouTube page says this about the one-minute spot (there is a 30-second version too), "As automation takes over manufacturing jobs, a single mom chooses to adapt instead of being left behind. In this inspirational video, she finds the motivation to rise above her circumstances, reinvent herself with updated skills and become more relevant in today’s workforce. We can do it."

Whit+

• ercoerco Posts: 19,264
    That is AWESOME! Thanks Whit!

- Pablo Picasso
    edited April 23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Was Lady Ada Lovelace the first computer programmer? Her dad, Lord Byron and Limor Fried would say so. She would be certainly good in robotics!

http://www.businessinsider.com/worlds-first-computer-programmer-2018-3?utm_source=microsoft

- Pablo Picasso
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,088
    edited April 24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Lovelace was the first computer programmer. As it was open source you can read the program yourself:

1280px-Diagram_for_the_computation_of_Bernoulli_numbers.jpg

Sadly the computer to run it did not get built until 1985.
  • Whit wrote: »
    @erco, @Ken - We need to make sure that Coco gets a FLiP.

I sent her some hardware, including a FLiP!

Could one of you check in to see if she has put it to use yet?

Ken Gracey

• Ken Gracey wrote: »

I sent her some hardware, including a FLiP!

Could one of you check in to see if she has put it to use yet?

Ken Gracey

I sent her a note to find out Ken and invited her here and to Blockly for Microcontrollers Facebook!

Whit+

• I believe that the analytical engine, never having been built, was intended to be operated by Georgiana Whitmore, she married Charles Babbage, the man who designed it.
  • Where on Earth did you get that story from? Links please.

Of course then, as now, there is a lot of difference between a computer operator and a computer programmer.

With the Babbage machines the operator only had to turn the crank !

• Actually the Analytical engine had punch cards that would have been made by Georgina Whitmore. These cards were the program. It was like doing math in PBASIC is now. If you want addition, you say: Var = 2+5. That was how these cards worked. The actual engine took about 100 to 300 sqft and was to be powered by the engine of a steam loco.(a lot of hp, probably about 50+)
    https://www.biography.com/people/charles-babbage-9193834?scrlybrkr=46b01c12
    charlesbabbage.net/
    computerhistory.org/babbage/engines/
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 316
    edited April 27 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Did this for a school project last year. Pulled these out of my bibliography.
  • AwesomeCronk,

There is no mention Georgina Whitmore or whatever she may have done with punch cards in the links you provide.

Googling around I don't find much about Georgina Whitmore apart from the fact she was married to Charles Babbage and had 8 children. One of which was also called Georgina Whitmore, just to confuse things.
  • I cannot find any of my other links, sorry. she may have been mentioned as Georgina Babbage. One of my sources said that the machine(analytical or difference engines) was programmed by punch cards made and inserted by "...his wife.".
    Cindy Crawford graduated valedictorian in 1984, then went to Northwestern University to major in chemical engineering before dropping out to model. With the right push, she could have been a noteworthy roboticist!

http://omglane.com/2330/celebrity-iqs-that-are-truly-incredible/14/

- Pablo Picasso