Why Are Too Few Females in Robotics? Could It Be the Robots?

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 18,499
    We need to get physics girl into the robotics fray.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco wrote: »

That would certainly help raise interest in robotics.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • That brings up the question if it are the MALES in robotics, causing the missing females?

just wondering,

Mike
    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

Ever seen ?
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am only an egg -- Stranger in a Strange land, Robert A. Heinlein
    msrobots wrote: »
    That brings up the question if it are the MALES in robotics, causing the missing females?

just wondering,

Mike

Hahahaha, you just cracked this case wide open, Mike!

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

Awesome info, that's very encouraging!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Thanks Carol!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • One reason that there are not many women in robotics is that most of you guys don't like this picture!
    After all it is a female robot.
    346 x 519 - 63K
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

Jahwohl, mit der Blumenvase in klarglas!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Es ist ein Boot-stepping-Roboter.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

OMG that's beautiful! Bravo, incredibly well done! Walking and turning quite nicely!

She only lacks a hair bow and a pink flamethrower. :)

- Pablo Picasso
    OMG that's beautiful! Bravo, incredibly well done! Walking and turning quite nicely!

She only lacks a hair bow and a pink flamethrower. :)

Lol
  • I have improved her walk now, she picks up her feet higher and does not sway as much. I will do a new video soon.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

Whoa Nellie, girl robots are all about swaying!

- Pablo Picasso
    edited April 22 Vote Up0Vote Down
    A chicken in every pot, and a nice dress for every girl in robotics!
    https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Queen-Digital-Low-cut-Bodycon/dp/B00YO8QBIO

r2d2dress.png
    650 x 950 - 548K

- Pablo Picasso
    Reiterating, it ain't for lack of wardrobe choices!

https://www.amazon.com/Her-Universe-R2-D2-A-Line-Dress/dp/B0116E9HS4/ref=sr_1_1

r2.png
    650 x 625 - 378K

- Pablo Picasso
  • They are not suitable for an old hen like me though. I wonder if they could make a robot bathrobe?
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

• Those dresses would look terrific on your twins Erco!
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

I keep offering those but they are holding out for Hello Kitty!

- Pablo Picasso
    IMO, this girl Tech-nic-Allie may have a future in robotics.

- Pablo Picasso
    They are not suitable for an old hen like me though. I wonder if they could make a robot bathrobe?

http://www.therobotstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FS-ROBOTROBE

- Pablo Picasso
  • Aw shucks Erco, it is a man's robe and even says "robot man" all over it.
    I did find these which sort of have your name on them.a549dad4f2ac36ab85d7c302e82b81.jpg
    174 x 175 - 13K
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

- Pablo Picasso
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,720
    This was a great story...
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

- Pablo Picasso

• There is this.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/86921/9-women-changing-future-robotics

Cynthia Breazeal was the inventor of Jibo which is quite impressive.
    https://jibo.com/

However, one telling sign of where things are headed, which I image is due to the focus of girls in STEM, is where Limor “Ladyada” Fried, founder of Adafruit, mentioned in a recent Make Magazine article that a watcher of "Ask an Engineer" sent in story where the person's 11 year daughter asked "Do boys do Engineering too?". She had been asked the same at at HOPE conference as well. I would image at some point the question in the title of this thread will be flipped between the sexes; although I thought we were not supposed to designate based on birth circumstances but rather that there are just Engineers.

• JonM,
    "Do boys do Engineering too?"
    So there we have it.

Through our educational system and culture in general we program kids expectations from a young age.

Back in my school days the boys had metal shop and did wood work. At the same time the girls did "Home economics". That is how to cook and manage the house for your future role as a wife.

The girl asking "Do boys do Engineering too?" is a product of some reverse world. Which is great. On the other hand it shows signs that she has been doing some kind of engineering in isolation from the boys. Which does not sound so great.

• @Heater,

I think this is a great point. What we should seek is a system where all are free to pursue their deepest love balanced with their ability.

By that I mean, my deepest desire may be to be an opera singer, alas I lack the physical and natural talent. We shouldn't encourage people to ignore what nature (God) has given them, but neither should we ignore that desire and love bring energy to the task of learning and creating - and that this is stronger than some natural ability combined with disinterest.

People should be free to pursue their love as is combined with natural ability. If I possessed the talent (or could learn the talent), my gender should not prevent me from being a nurse (traditionally thought of as a woman - though not anymore - thank goodness) for instance.

Whit+

But what if I'm a hardware guy, trapped in a software guy's body? Can I use the firmware guy's bathroom, at least? :)

Virginia middle schools were "progressive" for the early 1970's and broke through the stereotypes. Boys and girls all rotated through shop class, art class and home-ec. I actually enjoyed learning to cook & sew, it came in very handy for Boy Scouts & camping. I loved winter camping in the Shenandoah mountains and used to drool over camping gear catalogs from REI, EMS, Kelty, & Holubar. I couldn't afford most of their stuff, but a company named Frostline Kits sold affordable DIY gear. I sewed lots of kits making booties, gaiters, jacket and even a tent! I still have the 60/40 jacket I sewed over 40 years ago, works great.

- Pablo Picasso