Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$23 Pocket Oscilloscope Kit - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

$23 Pocket Oscilloscope Kit

2»

Comments

• localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2015-06-27 07:58
    Ditto on the ground pad thermal relief, it is a very well designed kit. I also got the build done more quickly by levereging my last bit of Erco eBay crack, the magic component identifier.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    edited 2015-06-27 08:50
    localroger wrote: »
    I also got the build done more quickly by levereging my last bit of Erco eBay crack, the magic component identifier.

Leveraging my Ebay 3D glasses and kitten mittens didn't speed up the build any?
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2015-06-27 13:42
    I didn't go in for the 3D glasses or kitten mittens, I try to exercise some restraint. I do love that tester though. Yesterday I realized I had used up my box of 2N2222's and needed a small signal NPN transistor for a little project, so I went to a part drawer of unmarked and unidentified plastic transistors I've literally had since the 1970's and it took about six tries (two of them didn't even ID as transistors WTF?) to find what I needed. I have no idea what its part ID is but it was a NPN transistor and it worked in the circuit.
  • My o'scope arrived today. I want to use some sort of socket for the LCD so I can use with other projects if I can figure out how to use it with a Propeller.
    BTW, What's this "magic component identifier"? I didn't miss a chance to spend money did I?
  • Duane, the kit comes with headers so the LCD board is socketed if you just follow the directions.

Hmmmm, Dr. Forbin does not seem to have made the transition to the new forum for me.

Magic component identifier here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OWS9YW6
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-06-18 22:24
    Got this a couple of months ago, it's a FUN kit, and very useful if you feel your somewhat prolific at soldering, takes just a few hours of assembly, with some fairly good instructions. I have wanted a scope since the mid 70s, the only thing that I've owned that come close was a logic probe type. I would recomend this kit to anyone starting out in low freaquency electronics, it's a great learning project for the price. Just make sure you buy the original kit and not a copy, as noted in the firmware splashscreen.

Edit, also you will need a decent ohm meter for the through hole resistors, the color coding looks more like a bar code.
    1824 x 1368 - 405K
    1824 x 1368 - 539K
    1280 x 720 - 285K
    3264 x 2448 - 932K
  • A couple other waveforms of a 555 oscillator circuit. Waveform showing distortion and noise at the scopes limited frequency range.
    1824 x 1368 - 411K
    1824 x 1368 - 456K
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Got this a couple of months ago, it's a FUN kit, and very useful if you feel your somewhat prolific at soldering, takes just a few hours of assembly, with some fairly good instructions.I have wanted a scope since the mid 70s, the only thing that I've owned that come close was a logic probe type. I would recomend this kit to anyone starting out in low freaquency electronics, it's a great learning project for the price. Just make sure you buy the original kit and not a copy, as noted in the firmware splashscreen.
    Current price is $16.99. I think I'm gonna order one. That's almost free.
  • lardom wrote: »
    Current price is $16.99. I think I'm gonna order one. That's almost free.

Wow, well worth it just for the parts.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    At that price, Duane can afford a second unit to avoid hot-swapping his LCD.
  • I have built the DSO 138 Digital Oscilloscope Kit. It was a very nice project to build and all worked flawlessly.
    The scope was working well until today the screen lights up all white. Even 2 days ago I was testing a signal generator that I had finished building, and all was fine.
    Today the screen shows all white. I have used from 9V to 12 V to power up the scope, with the same results. I have tested all voltage references in the JYE Tech leaflet and all are fine. In fact, on power-up the LED flashes twice, which according to the literature is indicative that the main circuit is working well.
    Has anyone experienced this, or has any idea of what may be causing it?
    Thanks.
  • $16.00 now! I don't even have a oscope. Maybe this would be better than my current model :tongue:
  • pythagoras wrote: »
    I have built the DSO 138 Digital Oscilloscope Kit. It was a very nice project to build and all worked flawlessly.
    The scope was working well until today the screen lights up all white. Even 2 days ago I was testing a signal generator that I had finished building, and all was fine.
    Today the screen shows all white. I have used from 9V to 12 V to power up the scope, with the same results. I have tested all voltage references in the JYE Tech leaflet and all are fine. In fact, on power-up the LED flashes twice, which according to the literature is indicative that the main circuit is working well.
    Has anyone experienced this, or has any idea of what may be causing it?
    Thanks.

Never had a problem from my board. May be something a firmware flash will solve. When I built mine, there was an upgrade available but I hadn't wanted to fix something that wasn't broke.
  • I'm sort of thinking about buying one of these...

Did anyone buy an acrylic case for the 'scope? Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clear-Acrylic-Case-Shell-Housing-for-DSO138-2-4inch-/272548729572

I'm curious as to how accessible the connections, buttons, etc. are after you put it in the case.

Walter
  • wmosscrop wrote: »
    I'm sort of thinking about buying one of these...

Did anyone buy an acrylic case for the 'scope? Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clear-Acrylic-Case-Shell-Housing-for-DSO138-2-4inch-/272548729572

I'm curious as to how accessible the connections, buttons, etc. are after you put it in the case.

Walter

I have that case, but never used it. It should of had instructions, never did figure it out.

One thing I may do, is use it as a template for a case that holds a battery.
  • ceptimusceptimus Posts: 135
    edited 2017-04-26 22:16
    That cheap scope is a great kit, good value and recommended. I have one.

For anyone that wants to build another scope with a slightly better performance, and a nice case, though at just over twice the cost, I recommend this kit:

https://www.banggood.com/DSO068-DIY-Oscilloscope-Kit-With-Digital-Storage-Frequency-Meter-ATmega64-AVR-Microcontrol-p-981017.html

It's a slightly trickier build than the cheaper kit - it uses a number of 'BOBS' (board on board - where there are small daughter boards soldered standing up at right angles from the main PCB), and the screen is only monochrome. But it does have a greater bandwidth and includes circuitry to use a single-cell lithium battery to run it and also charge that battery from a normal USB connector. There's room inside the case to fit a phone-style LiPo battery and, of course, you can still run it from an external supply if you wish.

It also comes with a 'proper' scope probe lead with the usual 10:1 gain/impedance switch.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    ceptimus wrote: »
    That cheap scope is a great kit, good value and recommended. I have one.

For anyone that wants to build another scope with a slightly better performance, ...

Hmm, I wonder where they buy the Mega64's with the 2M Sample ADCs ?!
    The ones available on this planet, suggest 1MHz ADC clock for 77ksps conversion rate ?

• It uses a TLC5510/SO A/D converter - doesn't just use the Atmel chip's built-in A/D.