Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Unboxing Videos: Rock Bottom? — Parallax Forums

Unboxing Videos: Rock Bottom?

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
edited 2015-05-29 23:02 in General Discussion
Now I'm sure there are many people who consider my Youtube channel junk: nothing but robot and kid vids. But a few people seem to have similar interests, so I continue my mad quest for world domination through video updates of my latest exploits.

But more and more, I see "unboxing" videos. People reverently opening boxes and taking the product out, savoring each tie wrap and romancing the jewel-like quality of each Styrofoam insert. Wearing gloves. Seriously. Some of them are for outlandishly rare or expensive items that mortal men can't afford, but most are for phones and watches. Whatever's new, I suppose. Apparently there's an irrepressible "first on my block" gene that forces some people (bloggers?) to show off their latest item, obtained by camping out in a line at Best Buy for 32 hours.

Here are 10 minutes unboxing a DVD. Including the mailing envelope, woo-hoo! The reviewer doesn't even sound excited. And no, you'll never get those 10 minutes back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG6NofuUJb8

Other than watching an occasional pretty girl (now what was she unboxing?), I really don't understand why anyone would watch these. Have we bottomed out? Isn't that Youtube server space better used for something else?

If I'm wrong, just tell me. I'll start a whole new channel, nothing but unboxing vids of latching relays and cheap Chinese H-bridges.

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-05-26 09:05
    Just yesterday I was thinking the same. I was looking for reviews of a certain product, and all I could find on youtube was unboxing videos.. how utterly useless.

-Tor
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-05-26 09:18
    I have watched one or two unboxing videos - for example when I was looking for a new camera.

I did find some that had useful information but they are rare.

I wonder how many quadrillion, zillion terabytes of youtube videos are out there?!?!?!?

Maybe I'll buy some project boxes from Jameco or Digikey and then I can make a Box unboxing video...
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-05-26 09:39
    erco wrote: »
    Now I'm sure there are many people who consider my Youtube channel junk: nothing but robot and kid vids. But a few people seem to have similar interests, so I continue my mad quest for world domination through video updates of my latest exploits.

But more and more, I see "unboxing" videos. People reverently opening boxes and taking the product out, savoring each tie wrap and romancing the jewel-like quality of each Styrofoam insert. Wearing gloves. Seriously. Some of them are for outlandishly rare or expensive items that mortal men can't afford, but most are for phones and watches. Whatever's new, I suppose. Apparently there's an irrepressible "first on my block" gene that forces some people (bloggers?) to show off their latest item, obtained by camping out in a line at Best Buy for 32 hours.

Here are 10 minutes unboxing a DVD. Including the mailing envelope, woo-hoo! The reviewer doesn't even sound excited. And no, you'll never get those 10 minutes back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG6NofuUJb8

Other than watching an occasional pretty girl (now what was she unboxing?), I really don't understand why anyone would watch these. Have we bottomed out? Isn't that Youtube server space better used for something else?

If I'm wrong, just tell me. I'll start a whole new channel, nothing but unboxing vids of latching relays and cheap Chinese H-bridges.

I can't wait to see the sequel.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-05-26 09:49
    There are a few "unboxing" channels that are entertaining because of the presenter. The item being unboxed doesn't really matter.

There are YouTubers that see unboxing videos and think, "I could do that!" but they don't understand why there are popular channels and popular presenters. I imagine for every one good video, there are 200 bad ones.

Here's an example of an engaging presenter: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+jontron

I'm not sure if he's done unboxing videos, but there's probably some in there along with his other reviews. Many of his vids have >3 million views each, so you can see why a wannabe YouTuber might see these and think they could do the same. That's why there's so much Smile on YouTube. (Of course your vids are great, because you're not trying to be anything you aren't, or rack of views just to make money.)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-05-26 09:56
    So the ultimate unboxing video would be if you ordered a set of nested boxes or a collection of Matryoshka dolls........
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-05-26 10:22
    mindrobots,

You mean like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkksRloH8_0
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-05-26 10:39
    Heater. wrote: »
    mindrobots,

You mean like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkksRloH8_0
    Yawn. :)
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-05-26 11:42
    How about reboxing videos - here's one I can appreciate...

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2015-05-26 13:19
    Of course, I will post a video when I unbox the new S3 later this year. That's must see TV.
  • Jeff HaasJeff Haas Posts: 418
    edited 2015-05-26 16:43
    My inclination would be to make videos that parody the genre, such as...

- Unwrapping a candy bar. ("Now let's have a look at this...it comes in a shiny wrapper, with this clever area folded over on the back...")
    - Opening up a box that is full...of packing peanuts. ("Ooooh! Look at this one! It's just a bit different than the last 37!")
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-05-26 17:46
    My first inclination was that this can't really be a thing, can it? So I did the following search on Google:
    unboxing site:youtube.com

Okay, I guess with 38,900,000 hits, it qualifies as a thing. Who knew?

I think someone should take a video of a boxing match (preferably a short one with a KO in the first round), reverse the frame sequence so it runs backwards, and post it to YouTube as "unboxing."

-Phil
    edited 2015-05-26 18:40
    I think someone should take a video of a boxing match (preferably a short one with a KO in the first round), reverse the frame sequence so it runs backwards, and post it to YouTube as "unboxing."

-Phil

LIKE. A top contender would be the infamous "Phantom Punch" of 1965's Sonny Liston/Cassius Clay fight. Jump to 4:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw8PqhMG5QE
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-05-26 19:50
    ...............................I imagine for every one good video, there are 200 bad ones.

Wow, you really are an optimist Gordon. I'd say you're off by at least an order of magnitude, possibly even two orders.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2015-05-26 21:21
    I think unboxing videos are ridiculous! OTOH, today when I unboxed my brand new MSD 8201 Pro Power ignition coil I would have loved to have had an audience to fawn and swoon at my magnificent treasure and listen with rapt attention as I extolled its virtues and revealed my special plans for it. ;)
    edited 2015-05-26 21:33
    User Name wrote: »
    OTOH, today when I unboxed my brand new MSD 8201 Pro Power ignition coil I would have loved to have had an audience to fawn and swoon at my magnificent treasure and listen with rapt attention as I extolled its virtues and revealed my special plans for it. ;)

Tesla coil?
    edited 2015-05-26 21:53
    Good guess. But in this case it is to be operated at resonance (via half-bridge) to drive a cascade generator. Just DC. No fancy discharge. No light & sound show. Completely boring to most.
  • wmosscropwmosscrop Posts: 406
    edited 2015-05-27 06:15
    erco wrote: »
    I'll start a whole new channel, nothing but unboxing vids of latching relays and cheap Chinese H-bridges.

erco,

I think it would be much more entertaining if someone started a "boxing" channel. No, not the "ultimate fighting # 1,368,612" contests, a channel demonstrating how to (or how not to) get an item back into its original packaging.

I've rarely been successful at this... usually the packaging is destroyed during the unboxing. And if the item was packed with Styrofoam, the room tends to be filled with millions of balls of statically-charged foam.

Walter
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2015-05-27 10:13
    Just to be slightly contrary, when contemplating sending a (to me) significant chunk of change to China for a CNC router, I looked for an unboxing video of the beast to see if it was packed well enough to really survive the trip across the pond. I found such a video, the packing looked adequate, and survive the trip it did. They aren't *entirely* useless, at least not always.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-27 15:02
    jones wrote: »
    Just to be slightly contrary, when contemplating sending a (to me) significant chunk of change to China for a CNC router, I looked for an unboxing video of the beast to see if it was packed well enough to really survive the trip across the pond. I found such a video, the packing looked adequate, and survive the trip it did. They aren't *entirely* useless, at least not always.

This is the only reason I can see for such things as "unboxing videos". It can be useful to know how well a product has been shipped. I've received some electronics in business envelopes with no padding. Needless to say not all items arrived safely.
    edited 2015-05-27 15:32
    User Name wrote: »
    drive a cascade generator.

I always wanted to build my own particle accelerator. Or is this a different type of cascade generator?

Anyway, please do make a video of it being unboxed, connected to a battery, and shocking the eyeballs out of anyone nearby!
    edited 2015-05-27 16:01
    I always wanted to build my own particle accelerator. Or is this a different type of cascade generator?

No, you've got it exactly right.
    Anyway, please do make a video of it being unboxed, connected to a battery, and shocking the eyeballs out of anyone nearby!

I do take pains to make sure no one could possibly be shocked. Indeed, a single spark would be a sign of failure of some sort. So far that has never happened. Even corona gets lots of attention (and potting compound). The Z-Machine it isn't. :)

http://www.sandia.gov/media/images/jpg/Z02.jpg
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2015-05-29 23:02
    This is typical oriental tradition. They have quite different mentality and they see and approach a lot of things differently.

For example, in Chinese restaurants, you can often order fake food, like whole roasted piglet, which is not edible, but serves as table decoration, and to show others, how "rich" you are.
    Furthermore, being fat in china is considered not as disease, but as fact of being solid citizen.

And also, chinese shops and sellers PAY to western reviewers for doing such reviews, or they provide good for free for reviews. Just go register at chinabuye, gearsbest, lightinthebox or whatever, buy something for $1 even, write on their site a short review, and shortly you will be contacted by shop, offering you some goods for free, in exchange for "in depth review", where unboxing takes about 40% of time.
    I suppose I can tolerate a video (from Unboxing Therapy!) about opening a robot I can't afford.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I recently discovered that an unboxing vid can be very helpful.

There are things I'd consider buying but I can't see one in a shop anywhere and I don't know anyone who has one. That leaves reviews around the net and, yes, unboxing vids.

So we need at least one unboxing vid for every product that it is possible to order online!

Sadly many of them are just very crappy.
  • I've watched them to see if they included the relevant wire etc, or to see if a TV/Computer/Stereo has the input/output I wanted since I couldn't find that in the description. But I found myself a bit nauseated and fast forwarding, and most of the time not even finding the answers I wanted related to plugs/ports.
    Great video, Keith. Now will it blend?

Three notches below "unboxing" videos: real time driving videos.

Who's got 4-1/2 hours of data on their cell phone to watch this dash cam of driving from Los Angeles to Las Vegas? 65 MPH is occasionally quite thrilling.

• Yet almost a quarter million views. Scintillating video!
    I should post the full video of my 31 hour bicycle race. :)