Quartus II version 15.0 - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Quartus II version 15.0

13»

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-09-20 04:10
    [justis@toasty ~]$ cd altera/15.0
    [justis@toasty 15.0]$ ./quartus/bin/quartus
    /home/justis/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /lib64/libproxy.so.1)
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
    Ouch. The problem seems to be that Altera install their own versions of shared (dynamic) libraries. And their setup inserts LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables to overrturn where libraries are looked up (see quartus/adm/qenv.sh). And now you seem to run into a case where when a native system library happens to need libstdc++.so.6 it finds the one that came with Quartus instead of the system one. And it needs a newer one than what came with Quartus. So the system libstdc++.so.6 is newer than home/justis/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so but the latter gets selected due to LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to point to Altera's version first.

That's why it's generally not a good idea to provide own versions of system libraries with applications, and you won't see that done with standard applications. And in the case specific (e.g. custom) versions are needed, the application is simply compiled with a static version of the library, which won't need an installed library. Altera is maybe thinking Windows here, where I understand it's quite common to provide own 'system' libraries.

(If, on Linux or Unix, an application is built against an older version than the system provides that is almost never a problem - most libs are backwards compatible, and if they aren't, the major version (the .6 in the above) changes, and you can have old and new versions installed at the same time. In general it should never be necessary to provide standard system libraries with a product, instead you simply list required libraries, or you link statically. Some do both, and provide two versions, a small dynamically linked version, and a big statically non-dependency version).

The workaround for this for you may be to install an *older* version of Fedora..

EDIT: Or, a simpler, faster try: Rename /home/justis/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6 to /home/justis/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6.NOTINUSE
    and start quartus again.. as you almost certainly have that one installed as a system provided library already (as a newer version), it "should" work.

-Tor
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-09-20 08:51
    Arrgh...
    I will give the renaming a try and see if I get good results.

Yes, I had considered installing an older version of Fedora to start out with as Altera seems to stay away from the most recent. (What happened here? Altera only mentions preferences for older Red Hat versions, which I would have to pay for. The relationship for Red Hat releases to Fedora releases is a bit unclear to me. Fedora is the free version.)

But it was so easy to download the latest. My mistake.

+++++++++++
    And so, it seems that I may have to go back to work on my triple boot installation. Maybe DistroWatch can indicate which version of Fedora is optimal.

Thanks.
    edited 2015-09-20 08:53
    This site provides an argument for staying away from Fedora and using CentOS for Quartus II. The setup.sh file provided by Quartus II v15.0 also indicated that CentOS is an acceptible alternative. One really has to look at this setup.sh carefully and sort out what Altera is not saying.

https://danielmiessler.com/study/fedora_redhat_centos/

SO, I may dump the Fedora 22 if I cannot make it work and go the CentOS. I am just not sure which version would be best.
    edited 2015-09-20 08:57
    Okay... here is something that I have obviously overlooked or ignored.

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html

From what Altera presents, I should be looking for a CentOS version that is equivalent to RedHat Enterprise 6.5. Fedora 22 may just be a distraction.

It seems that CentOS-6, minor release 6.7 should be my best available .iso shot at a clean installation of Quartus II v15.0.2

Further information indicates that CentOS actually is intended to provide free educational software for those training to manage RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) software. Seems I have been looking at Debian too long.
    What I wish is that Altera would clean up their act and start providing proper software setups, without all their own versions of standard system-provided shared libraries, doing that always leads to headaches. It may be a good way for Windows, it's totally backwards for Linux. Even with all the various distros in mind. They should simply build their software against a conservatively old distro, that'll run on everything that is the same or newer, never mind the distro (Debian, Red Hat, SuSE, whatever). It's fine to deliver their own software as shared libraries, but system libs shouldn't be part of Quartus.

If you try that rename trick we may learn something interesting. . I wish I could do that myself but as previously mentioned I'm in the "wrong" location for that right now.

-Tor
  • Loopy, I'm not sure what happened (is happening) with your OS installs.

I have Quartus running without any complaints on Fedora22 64 bit with 32 bit support installed (it was installed for another product). I type in 'quartus &' and it bounces into view. I can't recall anything special I did to make it work.

You are correct in the assumption that Centos will be a truer representation of a RedHat distro than Fedora will be.
    edited 2015-09-20 10:42
    @Mindrobots
    Thanks for the input.
    My thinking is that either I don't have the PATH configuration correct, or that I may have omitted the 32bit support.

The Quartus II v15.0.2 is installed in /home/justis/altera/15.0/<here>.
    Did you install your Quartus II elsewhere?

For what it is worth, I got the same error after the initial install of v15.0 without the add on software for simulation. From what I read, it is the add on software that requires the 32 bit support.

I have got my home computer downloading the complete DVD iso for CentOS 6.7 in BitTorrent and I am now out for the evening. I haven't decided if it is worth making Fedora 22 work, or just changing over to CentOS.

+++++++++++
    I really do wonder why I might be having so many problems when other's do not. The clean install of a third OS is intended to get rid of trouble.

While I do have an all Intel Quad 64-bit, it is on an odd-ball motherboard that limits me to 4Gbyte RAM, has both PATA and SATA support, and does some other things that I am uncertain about - like the BIOS (it is Gigabyte brand motherboard).

I have two hard disks - one is a rather cramped 320Gbyte, and the other is a 2Tbyte. The new third partition is about 43Gbytes and seems cramped in Fedora 22. I had to remove software applications to fit the installation files and still have room for the install.

Partitioning in Fedora seems very slow compared to gparted in Debian. I couldn't get Fedora 22 to install a separate /home on the second hard disk.

I am just mentioning all this for those that might have similar troubles.

edited 2015-09-20 15:02
    Well, Quartus II v15.0.2 seems to be working in Fedora 22 now. And I can get the Megatrends in IP Code to generate a 2port Ram of some kind.

My skills at clean housekeeping and project management need to develop to get further than this. But at least I am in Quartus II and learning to use it.

Startup from the Icon doesn't seem to throw an error message. But when I try to go into Help material on the web, it throws the same error message as mentioned above (that was from startup via Terminal).

+++++++++++++
    Even though I downloaded CentOS-6.7, I will continue for now in Fedora 22. I simply want to attempt to get some actual work done in Quartus ii v15.0.2 and not keep jumping to another Linux distro every time I seem blocked.

Fedora 22 does have a configuration that required activation to get Trash to empty. By turning that on, I suddenly have adequate space to work in. So it now appears I have adequate space for Quartus II, Diamond IDE, and FPGA projects.

++++++++++
    Conclusions ---
    My first choice of Linux OSes for Quartus II v15.0.2 would be CentrOS-6.7 - but I have yet to try it.
    Fedora 22 seems to be a workable alternative choice.

I still may have to clean up Fedora 22 to improve utility.

My overall impression is that Altera, and other FPGA makers desire to support Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) because they all have a position in proprietary software. Debian may be left out in the cold due to its strong open-source position.

CentOS seems to be the closest to RHEL that one can get for free.

As for Lattice Diamond IDE, the rpm file for installation is no longer supported in Fedora 22. That presents a separate problem.
  • Tor wrote: »
    What I wish is that Altera would clean up their act and start providing proper software setups, without all their own versions of standard system-provided shared libraries, doing that always leads to headaches. It may be a good way for Windows, it's totally backwards for Linux. Even with all the various distros in mind. They should simply build their software against a conservatively old distro, that'll run on everything that is the same or newer, never mind the distro (Debian, Red Hat, SuSE, whatever). It's fine to deliver their own software as shared libraries, but system libs shouldn't be part of Quartus.

If you try that rename trick we may learn something interesting. . I wish I could do that myself but as previously mentioned I'm in the "wrong" location for that right now.

-Tor

Well, I am completely gobsmacked. Renaming that one complaining item as you suggested appears to have cleaned up everything. I can now even get the Tutorials and Help screens from the Web.

So I am very good for Quartus II v15.0.2 in Fedora 22.

I know this may sound a bit greedy, but I am going to try to install Lattice's Diamond IDE 3.5 in Fedora 22 as well. Along with buying the BeMicroCV, the BeMicroCVA9, I purchased a Lattice XP2 Brevia2.

++++++++++
    The main point here is that a completely clean install of v15.02 seems to have been done.

edited 2015-09-21 10:33
    Just a bit of follow-up...
    While the Quartus II v15.0.2 seems to be running its core functions nicely by renaming the problem file, it seems that Firefox now complains of an older database software (SQLite) when Quartus opens it (but it does complete the task after the complaint). I guess my version of Firefox is too new for what Altera Quartus II.

I consider this a Whack-a-mole sort of problem and will just ignore it. If I attempt to fix it, I just end up with more unexpected problems. NOTE - see below, this SQLite problem was solved by running a complete update of the Fedora 22 from web repositories. I should have run the dnf update immediately after installing Fedora 22, but was confused.

++++++
    Pondering PATH configuration...and the Environment..........
    On other fronts, I worked on getting Lattice Diamond IDE 3.5 installed in the same Fedora 22. For Linux installation of Quartus II or Diamond IDE, one should acquire the Linux installation guide, and read it... ignore at your own peril.

I am beginning to have doubts that it is wise to actually have Diamond IDE installed along side of Altera Quartus II. They may have conflicting installations and both seem to be a bit 'special/non-standard'. In particular, both Quartus II and Diamond IDE want to change the environment to their own uses, including PATH. If the changes are made in a permanent fashion, rather than in a shell script that starts up the software; the OS might easily get messed up. At that point, the only thing to do is reinstall the OS and research a way to keep the two from corrupting the basic installation.

If you do read the Quartus II guide and the Diamond IDE guide, they both make requests that the user change the PATH before running. So that might provide the info to create a BASH or other shell file to start up with temporary modifications to PATH.

Running both applications at the same time may not be wise. Keep It Simple and run just one may be best.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    The PATH variable is purely local to a user. Changing it will not "mess up" the OS. You can always get in there and fix PATH.

Hopefully the changes to your PATH these programs suggest are additive. That is to to say that they add a PATH to the location of their executables. That should do no harm. If they are actually changing PATHs to the normal programs you run in "/usr/bin" etc that would be very bad practice.

It's more of a problem that the Quartus startup script adds LD_LIBRARY_PATH, actually that wouldn't be much of a problem except that a) they include their own versions of system libraries, and b) if they execute other programs, e.g. a browser, from within Quartus then that browser will inherit LD_LIBRARY_PATH and get a different system library than normal. So that 'a)' is the problem here.
    edited 2015-09-21 10:38
    Well, I went back into Quartus II today to actually learn the software, and realized that I never did seem to update my Fedora 22 installation from the repositories on the Web. I finally succeeded in running a update from repositories. The SQLite problem has abated.

Forgive me, I am used to Debian and the new dnf command in Fedora 22 confused me into thinking I had the latest of everything.

I think I wlll spend at least a few days learning Quartus II before I tackle Diamond II. It seems that Quartus II v15.0.2 is stable and right for the moment.
    edited 2015-09-21 10:34
    Heater. wrote: »
    The PATH variable is purely local to a user. Changing it will not "mess up" the OS. You can always get in there and fix PATH.

Hopefully the changes to your PATH these programs suggest are additive. That is to to say that they add a PATH to the location of their executables. That should do no harm. If they are actually changing PATHs to the normal programs you run in "/usr/bin" etc that would be very bad practice.
    @Heater
    Thanks for mentioning that.....
    All I have to do to be conservative is create another User in Fedora 22 and install the other application, Diamond IDE where it is isolated from Quartus II by the User barrier. I was up to 3AM last night trying to figure out how to install both in under the same user... silly idea.

edited 2015-10-02 15:59
    Hello everyone,
    I seemed to have found an interesting behavior in Quartus II V15.0.2. This is important if you desire to generate IP Codes to added to projects.

When I use the 'regular' start up that included the --64bit option, I cannot get the IP Core that I need to properly run. But when I start the Quartus without the --64bit option, I can get teh 2-port RAM Memory core to configure and generate the needed code.

This seems to be an issue with have some of these cores runing 32 bit binaries. This is great news for my own project, but it also opens up all sorts of IP Cores that can be compiled for really useful modules.
  • The Quartus support is Horrible!!!!!!! ! You get auto reply emails and they are not willing to answer to a personnel email like aol, gmail , yahoo etc. they will only answer to your own companies domain. I finally got a rep to call me back on the phone I told her to forget it I will use the Xilinx Altera is only interested in the major universities and companies.
    edited 2015-10-04 06:11
    Well, I am a bit annoyed at the whole corporate world for unresponsiveness, but Altera does publish quite rigourously. Right now, I am trying to learn how to use the IP Core modules and they did promptly update it to V15. Of course, the document isn't exactly what I desire, but that is quite common in stuff as technical as this is.

I really don't expect Altera or any of the other FPGA sources to offer me person-to-person service for what I have spent on devices alone. Altera's Quarterly Earnings Growth has gone seriously negative on year-on-year basis recently, but profit margins are high so far.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=ALTR

Lattice isn't any better than Altera for support, and may be worse as they are #3 in the FPGA world with a single digit percentage of the market. I really suspect that the best entry to FPGAs might be to take a course at a university if one can afford the tuition.

My impression is that all the FPGA companies expected developers to perpetually pay top dollar for both their boards and their software, but the economy has gotten soft and those that did buy in at top dollar have gotten the most out of the hardware and software products already. Globally, the demand for blank silicon is looking forward to a very bad 4th quarter this year. Taiwan is beginning to admit it is in a recession.

So the real question is whether Altera, and all the others are going to find a broader market for FPGAs amongst us plebes or just go broke waiting for curious hobbyist to suddenly desire to spend thousands on software licenses, new computers, and development boards.

IOW, don't expect them to suddenly get generous while they slowly sink into bankruptcy. At least, Intel bought Altera and just may take FPGAs in a new direction. And right now, you have a chance to discover how this stuff really works. Their real paying customers are giants in the semiconductor industry.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    The Altera forum is the best way for individuals to get support:

http://www.alteraforum.com/
    edited 2015-10-04 12:55
    I have looked at the Altera Forums. I am not sure how much one can get out of them.

Here is a reply to guy with a Quartus V15.0.2 problem in Fedora 22 that is a private individual having performance problems.. and suggested to file a 'service request' directly to Altera.

"Re: Quartus 15 compilation deterministically hangs for several seconds

To create a service request, you will need to use a valid company email or else the service request might be rejected. "

And so, we that are private individuals pretty much have to seek support from other private individuals wherever we can. Or keep picking over the documentation while doing a lot of trial and error. I am doing the same in Lattice Diamond IDE 3.5, and gave up on using their Linux versions due to the Active-HDL binaries being entirely omitted. (That's why I am feeling Altera is a bit better -- but I could always discover a frustration that would easily change my opinion.)

BTW, the user did discover that turning off his wifi while compiling resolved the hanging. I am not sure if that means he still used his LAN.

Both companies perfer to support Windows and only Windows. Linux comes later in line. And both companies are extremely focused on servicing paying customers.