Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quartus II version 15.0 - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Quartus II version 15.0

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I may try updating from version 13.0 update 1 to 15.0 update 2 (or parallel install, because I need v13 for Cyclone II) on my 64-bit nearly-Jessie setup. I'm planning for tomorrow but no guarantees. If I get the time for it I'll look for dbus issues. (Never liked dbus btw - it sems to mostly create trouble. And it seems to be more popular with 3party and/or bloated stuff like Skype and Firefox. But then again I don't know what it's used for. )
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I seriously doubt dbus is used for documentation/update downloads. That is what HTTP is for. 
    As far as I know dbus is used for desktop notifications of system shutdown, user log out and other such events that it might be useful for an application to know about.
    Useless fluff that we can live without. 
    Tor: Exactly, I have never managed to find out what dbus is actually used for anywhere and everything seems to work just find even when there are a ton of messages indicating dbus is totally broken. 
    Bah, I just tried googling around again for ten minutes to find out what dbus is used for in KDE. Still none the wiser.   
    wow, trying a "sudo apt-get remove dbus" results in apt wanting to remove 97 packages including by beloved KDE desktop. OK I don't do that.
    Killing off the dbus-daemon resulted in most of my open applications instantly crashing out, including Chrome and my Atom editor. 
    That's nuts. An application should not crash out just because some communication channel has closed. Grrr....
    OK, I get it.
    The desktop icon some how uses dbus to start Chrome and whatever. Kill dbus and  the launcher dies and all the child processes die. 
    No probs, chrome and atom still run from the command line.
    But then, without dbus ALT-TAB does not cycle between running apps on the desktop. 

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-02 08:06
    HI,
    Okay, DBus doesn't seem to reach out to the web (my error in reading intro material), but it does pass information to and from running software applications.

DBus also seems to have originated out of the Red Hat side of Linux, so I am unsure how Debian will accept it.

+++++++++++++

What am I going to do?

A. I will continue with the Debian 8.1 Jessie amd64 bit OS and try to sort out Quartus II V15.0.2 installation.

B. To that end, I will attempt to compile and install Propeller 1V Verilog code on a BeMicroCV and a BeMicroCVA9.  Some of what is broken may not be immediately needed.  And rather than fool around with trying to compile and load code that no one has verified, I will work toward a target with confirmed success.

( My attempts to load VHDL code for the eP16 Forth will be placed on hold for now -- the RAM memory module is not compatible with the Altera FPGA produces -- asynchronous RAM.)

Heater,
    Either you are all in or all out.  You previously said that you don't have room to install Quartus II and now you are exploring D-Bus installation.

I have no idea if your observations are going to be useful or just distracting speculation.
    edited 2015-08-02 11:07
    Okay... it just may be that my Debian 8.1 install problems are all of my own making. Here are 3 points of clarification.

A. Why don't I have 'sudo' ..........
    My Intel Quad 64 bit originally had Ubuntu 32bit install on the / partition with a separate /home partition. I migrated from that to Mint 32 bit, then Debian 7.6 32bit, and finally to Debian 8.1 Jessie amd64 AND just replaced the /, not the /home partition.

So it may be that the lack of 'sudo' was a migration issue.  I am uncertain if there might be other migration baggage. I quit Ubuntu because I couldn't use Brad's Spin Tool.  I quit Mint as it lacked Chinese language support.  And I quit Debian Wheezy 32 bit because Quartus II requires a 64bit OS.

B.  It seems that only the libcanberra-gtk-module is missing at start up.  And it seems that my Quartus II V15.0 performance vastly improved upon installation.  Material on the web makes mention of other missing libraries in V14.0, but that may have been resolved.

But, when I revert from Superuser to my normal user status, Quartus II reverts to poor starting performance and cannot locate  the module.

This appears to be a last of USER and GROUP rights that I will run down very soon.  The two documents I previous mentioned links to do mention the need for changing some of these rights.

C. The D-Bus problem shows up only when I try to download support material from within Quartus II that is available on-line.  So it certainly does somehow relate to Quartus II's reaching the outside world for some unclear purpose.  I do have an active dbus-daemon. So this may be a PATH issue.

++++++
    Hopefully these points will clear up any confusion created in the above discussions about my SUDO and D-Bus.
    Loopy,

I am neither all all in or all out. I am in a superposition of states.

When it comes to Quartus, it went away when my last terabyte drive failed and I have not had the urge to replace it since. Still waiting on a PII image for that impetus.

You mentioned a problem with d-bus and obviously had no idea what it was or what it was for. Neither did I much so you made me curious to find out. And I commented on what I found.

Sorry if that is not helpful. My observations are often helpful to those who can understand them. Just a distraction to those who cannot.

For example this:

When I kill the dbus processes in my system desktop things start to not work, the start menu, the icons on the desktop, the ALT-TAB cycling around running apps. As I said dbus is used as a communication medium for desk top and system events. A system event is something like plugging in a USB stick.

Quartus is not a single monolithic program it runs many sub programs. I'm betting it uses dbus to talk between its parts. I'm sure it does not use d-bus to reach out to the net as such, but it may use it to get some loader running or some such.

To something more practical:

I notice you have been bitten by the "install new OS and use old /home partition" problem. Having a home partition is great but there are many configs, login scripts and other info in hidden files in your home directory (.files), for example .config, .bashrc etc. If you just use those old dot files with your new OS install many things may not go well.

I notice that I have a .dbus file in my home directory:
    $ cat  .dbus/session-bus/f3130a6e261184430ec4421a530a87a6-0 
    # This file allows processes on the machine with id f3130a6e261184430ec4421a530a87a6 using 
    # display :0 to find the D-Bus session bus with the below address.
    # If the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable is set, it will
    # be used rather than this file.
    # See "man dbus-launch" for more details.
    DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-3ReZnVMGWY,guid=88b5d0e4508bd79455ca031055bdfe0b
    DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=2133
    DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID=4194305

Do you have such a file on your system?

A suggestion:

1) Login as root

2) Create a new user on your system

3) All hidden files for that should be set up nicely now.

3) Login as that new user and fire up Quartus.

If that works we will have a handle on what needs to be done getting d-bus working as you normal user.

If it does not work ignore what I say as a distraction :)
    - If the actual 'sudo' executable is missing you can install it (as root) with 'apt-get install sudo'
    - It's safe to remove old dbus cruft from your home directory, it'll sometimes fix dbus issues: cd $HOME; rm -rf .dbus/
      Although you should then probably stop quartus first, do the rm, log out, log in, restart quartus.
    - Check your $PATH as your own user.  I have Quartus installed in /opt/altera/15.0/ (but it could be anything), and I use a symlink in /opt/altera/ to make it easier: quartus -> 15.0/quartus/
     because my $PATH then includes /opt/altera/quartus/bin, e.g. /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/altera/quartus/bin: and so on. 
     Then I don't have to edit my $PATH just because I upgrade quartus. I just move the symlink to the newest version installed (or back to an old one if necessary).

OK I have Quartus II 15.0.2.153 installed and running on my nearly-Jessie-but-more-like-Sid 64-bit Debian. I start it with quartus --64bit
    I have a couple of dbus messages in the terminal I start it from, nothing to worry about - other dbus apps make much more noise. The Quartus software certainly executes a lot of different parts, depending on what you click on.. I selected Help and various sections, and at one point it even tried to start wine/winebrowser.. that didn't work (my wine installation is pretty minimal), but it fired up Opera (for some reason) and started a flash tutorial. Which seemed to work, but when I did that part in Firefox (just copied the local URL) it worked better. Nothing to do with Quartus really.
    But that's the extent of my testing, I've not really figured out much to do with this software.
  • Thanks Tor,
    I have been searching, downloading and reading anything I can find on installed V.15 in 64bit Linux.  I found a Linux/Unit specific installation manual from Altera, and an ArchLinux v15 install web page that seems most directly applicable.

Not sure if I am capable of resolving the D-Bus messages.  The application may be verbose. But there is useful info for anyone that needs guidance.

https://www.altera.com/.../2-5-1-quartus-install-unix.pdf

++++++++++++++
    At this point, I suspect I need to mostly learn how to use Quartus II V15.0.2 in order to know what is working or not. 

The Altera  Quartus install manual for Linux/Unix does allow one to begin to have an idea of how to verify everything is working right.

edited 2015-08-09 08:38
    Hi everyone,
    Just a short progress report about install of Quartus II V15.0.2.xxx on Debian 8.1 Jessie amd64.

Having removed an reinstalled the complete Quartus II, I have successfully compiled Verilog code of Propeller 1v from jacgouldsmit (Parallax's downloads seem outdated and problematic) of BeMicroCV without fixing anything that seems broken.
    I still get a missing canberra-gtk-module at startup in Terminal. And attempting to open PDF Tutorials for VHDL and Verilog in the Help menu are remaining problems.

The MAIN point is that the compile of a BeMicroCV, a BeMicroCVA9, and the Propeller 1-2-3 all appear to be feasible and working if one used jacgouldsmit's Github files.

+++++++++++
    What is NOT working....
    I still cannot Program the BeMicroCV as my USB and jtag toolchain seems broken.
    I have located a document that mentions that the usbfs is no longer enabled on Ubuntu, but my investigations so far indicate that usbfs may also be omitted from Debian 8.1. Jessie amd64.

I am now trying to run down what to do about the missing usbfs. Until then, I can't actually load my BeMicro CV or CVA9.

======
    I have pretty much accepted that there are other aspects of Quartus II V15.0.2.xxx that may not supported by my OS choice, but may be trivial to actually compiling and loading devices. Running down those details can be an immense distraction.

edited 2015-08-09 11:51
    Loopy,

Sounds like you need a quick "apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module".

Apparently that module "hooks into all kinds of events inside a GTK+ program and generate sound events from them". Which sounds like the kind of annoyance we could do without :)

I'm not sure about the usbfs thing. That was deprecated over seven years ago! For security reasons it seems: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=483392 http://www.libusb.org/ticket/119.

usbfs put your usb devices under /proc/bus/usb. It was replaced with udev which puts usb devices under /dev/bus

edited 2015-08-09 18:39
    Quartus II V15.0.2 on Debian 8.1 jessie amd64 has now proven itself to me. I compiled and installed a working PIV on a BeMicroCV But it still throws errors in Terminal and has some parts that don't want to play right.

Heater
    Yes, it does sound like I need a quick "apt-get libcanberra-gtk-module", but when I check in Synaptic, it is already installed. Perhaps, it wants an older version.

And I still get the message. And I also figured that about all I might be loosing out on in 'sound events'. So I moved on.

I took a break and attempted to reboot my computer with a special line added to /etc/fstab to seek the usbfs. The computer wouldn't boot and went into an emergency root.

Creating the change to /etc/fstab was claimed necessary in one of the documents that a search brought up. Don't try it. It seems a dead-end.

So I commented out the troublesome new line in /etc/fstab and was able to restart the computer.

+++++++++++
    I returned to an ArchLinux Quartus II Howto file on the internet under the USB-Blaster Download Cable Driver that suggested I run down the jtag problems. (I mentioned this link previously above)

ArchLinux DID NOT suggest any changes to /etc/fstab - so I followed their procedures exactly.

I may have neglected to unplug the BeMicroCV before running 'udevadm control --reload and thus didn't get anywhere. There is more that follows that, and it all needs doing.

So that appeared to fix everything for programing the BeMicroCV. I apparently have to login as SU and from Bash I need to start the jtagd and run a jtagconfig. Only after all that is done may I start Quartus II and get into Tools for a proper loading.

I am not sure if this logging in to start the jtagd will be necessary in the future. I have to work with Quartus II under the current changes to see what has been achieved.

======
    I did get a report than Download was 100% successful. And my BeMicro has all 8 of its LED lit after the programing, but I have yet to plug in the Prop Plug and run an actual binary download.

(Later note - I finally confirmed that I could load a Propeller program and run it within the targeted FPGA, a BeMicroCV. I am so happy to get beyond all this learning a new IDE on a new OS upgrade)

In short, I seem to have resolved my difficulties. But I am not through convincing myself that all is right.

+++++++++++++
    I am a bit miffed and weary of having to go in and out of Quartus II and to get a daemon started as SU before the USB-Blaster sees the jtagd. It seems that Altera has hung on to a rather bizarre tool-chain while LInux has marched forward with simpler solutions.
  • It seems quite obvious to me that my migration from 32bit to 64bit Linux overlooked the need to enable multi-arch on my Debian 8.1 Jessie amd64. Quartus II runs some applications in 64 bit and others in 32 bit.

So I am now working on resolving the multi-arch installation. Hopefully, Quartus II then perform flawlessly.
  • Hi all, I am going around in circles of my own making. My 64-bit Debian upgrade has likely not taken properly and I am looking into fixes to my specific problems === pretty much unrelated to a generic install of Quartus II V15.0.2 on Debian 8.1.

Sorry if I led anyone astray.
    edited 2015-08-13 20:07
    Heater suggest I create a new user, install and run Quartus II in that.

Okay, I created a new user ... georg on my Debian 8.1 installation, installed Quartus II 15.0.2. but I still get the same errors as before (and the same functionality). Next, I am going to try an installation as /root.

Also, my BST and SimpleIDE (which worked finE in 32bit are now broken).
    =====================================
    Here are the errors...

georg@smokey:~/altera/15.0$ ./quartus/bin/quartus
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
    Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 762: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!

evince: /home/georg/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/liblzma.so.5: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2)

(evince:3328): EvinceDocument-WARNING **: /home/georg/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpoppler-glib.so.8)

(evince:3328): EvinceDocument-WARNING **: /home/georg/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpoppler-glib.so.8)

Loopy,

Could it be that you are installing something that does not exist: Quartus II 15.0.2. ?

When I go to http://dl.altera.com/ what I see is the latest: Quartus-web-15.0.0.145-linux.tar

Does any of this help for tunning 32 bit code on your 64 bit Jessie it worked for myself others wanting to run BST there:
    $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade
    $ sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0:i386
    $ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386
    $ $ unzip bst-0.19.3.linux.zip 
    Archive:  bst-0.19.3.linux.zip
      inflating: bst.linux               
    $ ./bst.linux

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-08-13 17:25
    It's actually 15.0.2.153:

http://dl.altera.com/#tabs-5

That is the subscription version. He probably needs the the corresponding free Web version.
    Ah, I assumed we were talking the free version. Which is not at 15.0.2 yet.
    edited 2015-08-13 20:02
    Umm... I have the free versions of 15.0.0.143 and update 2 for 15.0.2.153.
    The install process is done in two separate steps.

It seem obvious to me now that I have only two problem issues with Quartus II 15.0.2.153 in the Debian 8.1 amd64. Other problems with other software are separate cases created by going from 32bit to 64bit.

1. The libcanberra-gtk-module seems to require an older library that is no longer available in Debian 8.1 Jessie amd64

2. The other messages seem related to not being able to use my Iceweasel to get out to the internet to download PDFs from Altera. Maybe, a switch to Firefox would help.

+++++++++
    It takes a bit of time to understand so complex an IDE and to verify what is really working and what is just not provided in the FREE version.

Everything else that the FREE version promises seems to be available and working.

+++++++++
    Brads Spin Tool installaton might be a lost cause. And SimpleIDE just might require a version compiled for the 64bit machine.

=========
    I do see an improvement in the performance and configuration with creating a new user. So I am just trying to figure out how to migrate all my data over to the new user.

I can likely use Rsync to copy the bulk of it while leaving behind the problems in the hidden files.

So it appears I am getting close to cleaning up whatever mess I have. And comments youall have are welcome.

Quartus II 15.0.2 on a clean install of Debian 8.1 Jessie may never be a perfect install, but it is quite adequate. When the downloads fail, Quartus has a screen pop up that shows the download path to the document at Altera. So I can manually open the browser and download.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    I am ready to move on and use Quartus II to actually work through tutorials and explore Verilog and VHDL.... lots of goodies.

I had already tried the add-architecture i386 solution and it seemed that my installation was telling me it was already done. But I will try one more time in the new user login. I do have to take an inventory of 32bit applications that I am still trying to use or that I must upgrade.

All that I can think of so far are these:
    1. BST
    2. SimpleIDE
    3. Adobe Flash
    4. Skype
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-08-13 19:42
    Quartus-web-15.0.2.153-linux.tar is the latest update for the web version also.

It calls itself 15.0.2 build 153 in its "about" dialog.

Link -> dl.altera.com/?edition=web#tabs-5 - this page has both the incremental download if you already have 15 installed as well as the complete download of 15.0.2 if you need to install the whole thing and want the latest.
    How on Earth did you get to http://dl.altera.com/?edition=web#tabs-5 with 15.0.2 on it?

Every which way I navigate the Altera site I end up here:
    http://dl.altera.com/15.0/?edition=web with the older version on it.

@Loopy,

Brads Spin Tool installation works fine on jessie, see my post above.

• Go to altera.com, click on "Downloads" at the top.

When you land on that page, click on the Download button in the "Quartus II Web Edition" section of the page.

Once you land on that page, you can click on "updates available" or the Update tab.

I'm used to navigating poorly designed websites.....my company excels at creating them for internal purposes!!!
    edited 2015-08-14 08:40
    Thanks Heater, I will keep slogging through cleaning up my OS, and try to get BST working.
    Quartus II V15.0.2 is ONLY supported on 64bit computers - Windows or Linux, no OSX.

So I had to get active with my 64bit platform.

My 64bit Quad computer has been ignored for awhile as I use a 32bit notebook for most of my daily use. Plus it has a 2TByte hard disk that stores 'dd' and 'rsync' copies of all the hard disks on various computers that I have.

Clutter accumulates, but now I need to reorganize... maybe dump some rather large outdated backups.

In sum, lots to do that is unrelated to the use of Quartus II 15.0.2 and other Parallax software on Debian 8.1 Jessie 64bit. The changeover just made me realize how sloppy I was getting.

Meanwhile, I can still use BST and SimpleIDE on my 32bit notebook. So I am not shut out of anything.
    edited 2015-08-14 09:51
    Loopy,
    Plus it has a 2TByte hard disk that stores 'dd' and 'rsync' copies of all the hard disks on various computers that I have.
    Oh dear, you are in a mess.

It happened to me to. Drives got bigger and bigger over the years. Great, I can backup the content of 1G drives on various machines to a new 10G. Drives got bigger. Great I can backup that to a new 100G...after many years you find you have a couple of terabytes filled with old disk images, zips and tarballs of whole directories of long gone laptops. Backups of backup of backups....like Russian dolls.

Tens of thousands of files, mostly redundant old Smile, with anything valuable and precious buried and hidden in layers of packaging.

A few years back I came to a stunning and frightening realization: I was never going to live long enough to sort through all that mess. There is no point in having backups of stuff you can find or use or appreciate.

I made a decision:

I don't do back ups any more!

If I happen to create, or acquire, any even slightly increasing code it goes immediately out to github or other git repo.

Photos get backed up with family and friends !

Interesting documents and other stuff goes out to the cloud some place.

Music gets deleted, pretty much anything I want to listen to now is on YouTube!

Nothing stays my local machines now. They can be all be burned and destroyed and I won't bat an eyelid.

From time to time I have a dig though that 2 tera bytes of old junk. Unpack some zips, see what's in there, reminisce over what we were up to back then. Like sifting through a dusty loft or cellar. Then delete most of it!

I'm down to about 300Gs after three years!

edited 2015-08-14 10:33
    Well, I was very wary of the 2Tbyte hard disk from the start as it takes forever to 'dd' one completely -- no matter how fast your system.

Mine is partitioned into archives for individual computer units. And I have NOT been ambitious on filling 2Tbytes.

I am reminded of friends that acquired a video records and would automatically record their favorite TV shows to watch later. Tapes would pile high, but never get viewed. One day, the person realized that they have thousands of hours of viewing material and more important things to do with their life.

So my 2Tbyte unit is just there in case I do something drastically stupid. When I need a complete backup, it is handy. But I would be a lot happier if it was 80% empty most of the time.

At least I can store the 6.0Gbytes of Quartus II installation files there... just in case I need them. Maybe I will add a partition for IDE applications.
    edited 2015-09-08 17:03
    Arrgh... I am still getting the 'inconsistency detected by ld.so and so on in Quartus v15.0.2
    And now I have found this occured in Quartus II v14.1 and Altera claimed is was fixed in v15.0

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd01272015_37.html

There is a Patch for v14.1. Do I dare attempt to run this for v15.0.2? Or will I just crash and burn.
    The problem seems to be that Curl is not thread-safe.

I did fire off an email to Altera via webmaster@altera.com because there seems no other way for me to tell them.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    They should have a local FAE that you can contact about the problem.
    edited 2015-09-09 08:30
    To everyone, Don't run the v14.1 patch in v15.0.2.xxx. It doesn't work. It won't roll back. You will have to reinstall your V15.0.2.xxx to start over.
    ==================================
    I guess FAE is Field Applications Engineer.
    It is possible that one might be available in Taiwan. I will look into if Altera doesn't reply within a week or two.

But there is always the likelihood that his English and my Chinese are going to make things a huge muddle. Even then, this is a Linux issue and local support may be rather scant.
    edited 2015-09-19 17:24
    Hello again...
    I finally got a few days of free time to do some major computer renovations just for Quartus II v15.0.2 and my FPGA projects.

To make a long story short, I added a third OS boot to my Intel Quad 64bit and reallocated the partition space. So I now have one installation of Fedora 22 that is entirely dedicated to FPGA work and Quartus II 15.0.2. Debian Jessie amd64 is still installed, and so is Windows Vista 32bit Chinese.

I did manage to install without getting the Curl errors that I was getting when starting Quartus II in Debian Jessie (I still suspect that my version is messed up in ways that I should take the blame for rather than Debian.)

But I do get a new set of complaints when starting in Fedora 22.
    And at least the /home/justis/bin directory mentioned in the PATH doesn't exist.

[justis@toasty ~]$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/home/justis/.local/bin:/home/justis/bin

[justis@toasty ~]$ cd altera/15.0
    [justis@toasty 15.0]$ ./quartus/bin/quartus
    /home/justis/altera/15.0/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /lib64/libproxy.so.1)
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

Not at all sure what the new complaints mean. I haven't had time to actually attempt to compile a project in Quartus II 15.0.2 on Fedora yet. I did try to use Megatrends IP Code to create a 2 Port RAM and that still freezes up.

I don't absolutely need v15.0.2 for now. So if these problems are not easy to resolve, I may remove the V15.0.2 and install V14.1 to see if that performs better.

++++++++++++
    The main thing here is that I got the triple boot and repartitioning resolved without any disasters. I can now swap out installations, investigate, and experiment more freely as I have a clean Fedora 22 installed just for Quartus II.