Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nikos' Fibonacci Spiral Challenge - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Nikos' Fibonacci Spiral Challenge

Comments

• NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2016-02-21 06:53
    Whit wrote: »
    Okay - here are a few images - not perfect, but not bad. 1 minute and 1 minute and 12 seconds - Bulb, f20, ISO 100.

I thought that I have seen all, but it seems that creativity here is endless!

Congratulation Whit!!!!
    This is Amazing!!!!!!

You and Carol have raised the bar!
    Right now I'm going to Saravali (on my parent's farm) with my ELEV-8 to try an aerial Fibonacci spiral......
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Man am I missing out! I'm too busy with real paying jobs & deadlines to participate in this extravaganza but I'm loving this recent burst of enthusiasm & activity. I'll keep cheering from the sidelines. Go Team Fibonacci!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    erco - somebody has to crank out those great Servo articles!
    erco - somebody has to crank out those great Servo articles!

Something far bigger, I'm afraid...

erco - can't wait!

Carol - have you tried these great (attached) programs that Ken wrote for his educator's course with your pen port light? I would love to see the results!
  • Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 312
    edited 2016-02-22 18:32
    I was just thinking about that! They are already fairly spirograph looking. Nikos can easily make a light for the Artist and do some large drawings. I will do some Monday night and post them. I have to wait for dark to do it.
    edited 2016-02-22 12:20
    NikosG wrote: »
    Congratulation Whit!!!!
    This is Amazing!!!!!!

You and Carol have raised the bar!
    Right now I'm going to Saravali (on my parent's farm) with my ELEV-8 to try an aerial Fibonacci spiral......

Thanks Nikos - Can't wait to see your aerial scribbling!

edited 2016-02-22 20:22
    More experiments with the S2 Spirograph. This time we have one LED Green and one LED Red, a larger "Ring" - the "Wheel" travels clockwise and spins counter-clockwise. Different expose lengths give a different number of orbits around the "Ring."

Note: It is very difficult to end the expose exactly where the exposure began (making neat ends)! Also, the bumps in the previous photos were cause by the two S2 flopping a bit as the heavy side of the top "Wheel" S2 spun around the bottom "Ring" S2 making it tilt forward. I solved this by adding a weight to the bottom S2 to stabilize it.
    1044 x 1025 - 336K
    1068 x 1033 - 439K
    1056 x 1014 - 535K
    1083 x 1041 - 585K
    1051 x 1032 - 590K
  • Whit, are using the lights already on the S2?
    edited 2016-02-22 22:37
    Whit, are using the lights already on the S2?

Yes. In my application the Spirographic effect depends on the LED or LEDs NOT being in the center of the the top - or what I call the "Wheel," S2. As both S2s travel the bottom S2 path or "Ring" the rotating "Wheel" LEDs create the effect - Like the gif above in this thread.

I know you understand this - but the clarification may help others.

edited 2016-02-22 22:18
    Slightly more complex third trial - Same "Ring" size and speed - "Wheel" travels one speed with the green LED (left) on for about two orbits, changes rotation speed and to red LED (right) for about 3 orbits - Shutter was open about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Looks like a I jiggled the camera a bit...
    1097 x 1038 - 528K
    Trial Four S2 Spirograph - Small "Ring" - Green, Green and Blue, Green and Blue More.
    1071 x 967 - 492K
    1004 x 946 - 496K
    1009 x 992 - 511K
  • Here is a very simple way to add a flashing LED to the S2. I will make a more sophisticated version when my parts arrive. The final version will have an on/off switch and I changed the Radio Shack LED for a more available one.

This set up makes it easy to have the LED right over the pivot point of the robot.
    922 x 692 - 130K
    1107 x 830 - 237K
    922 x 692 - 165K
    edited 2016-02-23 17:46
    In the meanwhile, as Whit and Carol make miracles in the ground,........ I'm trying to make an aerial Fibonacci with my ELEV-8. My 1rst attempt on Sunday 02/21/2016 was a frustration!
    So I decided to start again from zero. Today 02/23/2016, I tried to make 9 sequential homocentric circles with radius the Fibonacci numbers:
    1st circle radius=1m
    2nd circle radius=2m
    3rd circle radius=3m
    4rd circle radius=5m
    5rd circle radius=8m
    6nd circle radius=13m
    7rd circle radius=21m
    8nd circle radius=34m
    9rd circle radius=55m
    I think I did it! Here is the result:
    circles9_fibonacci04.png
    In the next posts will follow a mathematic analysis about how we can create a Fibonacci spiral with the Mission Planner and the Elev-8.
    The progress of my research is very slow, because experiments in the air are more demanding....
    So please for your understanding.....
    979 x 944 - 2M
    1070 x 944 - 1M
  • That is totally impressive. Thanks for sharing!
    edited 2016-02-23 20:24
    Publison wrote: »
    That is totally impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Publison,

Here is a video in order to take an idea where the experiments take place:
    https://youtu.be/_uHnMxwCiV8
  • Has anyone done this with WS2812 yet?
  • Some more doodling with the Scribbler 2! I need to do these again with a little better focus though. Nikos wrote the template for the Goatface Spiral and I wanted to try that out too.
    345 x 305 - 40K
    598 x 541 - 131K
    381 x 611 - 40K
    513 x 464 - 32K
    Great work, all. This is the coolest burst of activity in a long time!
    Everybody's waiting on the S3 and getting excited to play with a new toy!
  • ..... Nikos wrote the template for the Goatface Spiral and I wanted to try that out too.

Carol, I have a Canon G7 10.0 Mega pixels digital camera,
    I tried to set up it, according your suggestions. The maximum exposure time I can achieve is 15 sec. A spiral robot path with the Artist robot lasts much more time. Any idea what do?
    Anyway I've got some images (not from spirals) but from a moving Parallax badge. The result is very good but I need more time for a complete spiral with a robot....
    1277 x 958 - 279K
  • My hubby checked (he is the camera guy) and said it looks like your camera won't do longer time lapses. The "bulb" setting on his camera allows him to manually time the exposure.
    @Nikos - what is wrong with a little abstract art?
    edited 2016-02-25 10:38
    @Nikos - what is wrong with a little abstract art?
    Nothing with the photo.
    The only problem I have is the limited time of the 15 seconds that is the maximun time that my camera can take the photo.
    So I can't finish a spiral only in 15 seconds! I need at least 1-1.5 minutes!
  • It makes a good justification for getting a new camera!
    edited 2016-02-27 03:17
    My LED "no warranty void" hack is shown here on the Scribbler Taillight thread - http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/163655/scribbler-taillight#latest

I am working on a pen port mount now so I can keep up with Carol!

Edit: Pen Port Light (LED) now shown at the thread above. Photos of the "scribbles" follow.
    This flurry of S2 & LED activity reminds me of Gareth's excellent body of work in the UV LED field: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/148270/s2-scribbler-turtle-goes-ultra-violet-infra-red-with-8x8-bit-graphics

• Dang there's some wicked awesome pics in this thread!

I'm in the 15 second bulb mode boat. I used CHDK to increase the time and the image starts to look really bad. I'd love to get a better camera but that's not happening.

There is another option, you can combine the pics post process using something like this. - http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html I haven't tried it yet but probably will over the weekend and report back.

Here are some of my Pen Port Light Spiro Doodles. These use Ken's Educator's Course GUI Code posted above. I did toggle into the Spin and turned off the Blue power LED. Check these out. The diffuse lens on the bi-color LED gives a soft effect.
    1023 x 1047 - 437K
    873 x 840 - 307K
    1056 x 960 - 295K
    450 x 462 - 106K
    edited 2016-02-27 04:32
    xanadu wrote: »
    Dang there's some wicked awesome pics in this thread!

I'm in the 15 second bulb mode boat. I used CHDK to increase the time and the image starts to look really bad. I'd love to get a better camera but that's not happening.

There is another option, you can combine the pics post process using something like this. - http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html I haven't tried it yet but probably will over the weekend and report back.

@xanadu - Fantastic! This is just what Nikos needs!

@erco - I remember! Gareth is the best!