One-Servo Robot Challenge

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 18,184
    edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    No electronics, either!
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
    One-servo biped in progress. I hope no one beats me to it...
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,675
    @erco - that Pololu video make me miss Jessica and her creative video tutorials! And I agree - I am a Parallax guy all the way... As you know.

Cool simple walking bot video to. I am trying for something novel and a bit more mechanical for your Tower of Hanoi challenge!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited May 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    erco wrote: »
    One-servo biped in progress. I hope no one beats me to it...

No takers, so I roughed out a quick breadboard late last night. One servo, one hour, two paperclips and some scrap styrene & superglue later, it "walked".

I proudly showed the twins today. Lindsey said, "That's not very cool." Those four words hurt more than you can imagine... :(

- Pablo Picasso
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,488
    Regardless of what your "other child" says, I think its cool! :)
    MOV OUTA, PEACE <div>Rick </div><div>"I've stopped using programming languages with Garbage Collection, they keep deleting my source code!!"</div>
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,275
    I bet it could make the figure 8 challenge tho !!!

Beau Schwabe -- Metallurgical Machine Design and Development Engineer
    ෴My Message෴www.Kit-Start.com - bschwabe@Kit-Start.com ෴෴ www.BScircuitDesigns.com - icbeau@bscircuitdesigns.com ෴෴

"I've said it before ... If you follow the directions for apple pie and then expect it to taste like cherry pie then your absolutely insane"
    Thanks for your kind words of re-affirmation, lads. And yes, the rigor mortis biped will tackle the figure 8 whenever I can fit a controller to it. I design around those $1 servo testers just to get things moving, as I did with Turtlebot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uz0d-fAKJc

- Pablo Picasso
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,056
    That is awesome! Its movements are fun to watch!
    edited June 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Looks like somebody at UC is making a graduate project out of one-actuator, figure 8 robots. I want college credit !

- Pablo Picasso
    Cool find erco! Those guys are smart cookies. Lots of great videos on that page too! My seminary was just north of U.C. Berkeley. I want to go visit now!

Don't know how I missed your earlier walker either. You know I would have and DO NOW give you a big thumbs up! - "A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home." Mark 6:4
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    Whit wrote: »
    My seminary was just north of U.C. Berkeley. I want to go visit now!

You can also see Brett the robot when you visit UC Berkeley. A new video from May of Willow Garage's PR2 robot. And yes, it uses at least 2 servos so it is exempt from the one-servo challenge.

- Pablo Picasso
    Yes - at least two servos.
    Whit+

edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Another 1-servo "biped", a walking breadboard. The rear-mounted servo is not actually touching or dragging on the ground, it's just down low for the most efficient geometry.

- Pablo Picasso
  • Neat little robot.
  • Thanks MH. It's got Figure 8 written all over it!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Very nice, my breadboard would run away for sure.
    Great video and bot erco. That would be one spooky noise hearing that thing clomp around your house late at night!

This could be posted in the Halloween project thread too!
    Whit+

• Erco, that thing is brilliant! I wish I had one to show my class today. It's show 'n' tell day: first full day with the students.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    Thanks for the feedback guys. My simpleton stuff walks the fine line between clever and stupid. I'm too close to it to tell, so it's helpful to get some input from you boys. Can't always trust my twins' opinion, my stuff is up against some pretty stiff competition, pink glitter ponies, flying fairies and such.

As one of my favorite VPs used to say, "My definition of a well-informed man is someone who agrees with me. "

Re: flying fairies; I assume everyone has seen this sad but hysterical video?

- Pablo Picasso
  • The most fun I've had with two photocells. These are EBay's 10 for a dollar types. I finally found a use for them.

- Pablo Picasso
  • I'm surely going to h3!! for laughing at that first video! Perhaps I can be redeemed by enjoying the second one on a far more intellectual level. Nice work, erco!

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    prolific
    [pruh-lif-ik]

Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    adjective
    producing offspring, young, fruit, etc., abundantly; highly fruitful:
    a prolific pear tree.
    producing in large quantities or with great frequency; highly productive:
    a prolific writer.
    profusely productive or fruitful (often followed by in or of):
    a bequest prolific of litigations.
    characterized by abundant production:
    a prolific year for tomatoes.
    Whit+

• More pressure than prolific, Whitster. I'm stiil working on a magazine article with a deadline of YESTERDAY!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Might I suggest a magazine article on mobile tower of Hanoi?
  • Subtlety, thy name is Martin!

Actually, that exact challenge crossed my mind yesterday when I saw Phil's disks that need no post. Would make it easier for such a beast.

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco wrote: »
    More pressure than prolific, Whitster. I'm stiil working on a magazine article with a deadline of YESTERDAY!

Prolific is as prolific does! You have been highly productive friend - Thanks for sharing it all here - great Servo article too!

Whit+

• It's been a while since I've updated this thread, so I'll add Paddlebot: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/164054/paddlebot

Also of interest to me is this quad walker kit I just found. It's "dumb", has one motor and only walks in a straight line. It would probably not be a good candidate to try to make turn since the legs are mechanically phased to move in an X pattern. The legs move much like Theo Jansen's Strandbeest, but unless I'm way off, this geartrain uses noncircular gears to get a faster return stroke to pick up the leg and move it forward. Check the video from 2-12 seconds. At $18 it's overpriced compared to the $6 Spider Robot kit but I'll eventually get one for my walker collection since the mechanism is unusual.

- Pablo Picasso
  • Love it!
    Whit+

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,033
    edited April 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    erco wrote: »
    I proudly showed the twins today. Lindsey said, "That's not very cool." Those four words hurt more than you can imagine... :(

Your video is a bit old by now, but I just saw it. You know, you could make it "cool" by adding a low-density foam jacket of an Easter Island Moai:

Ahu-Akivi-1.JPG

These "walked" too, but with the help of people. There was a great documentary a while back where they figured out how they did it. (The answer turned out to be facepalm-simple -- it's all in the center-of-gravity of the stone monument.)
  • Thanks Boss. You're spot on. You'll see next year.

- Pablo Picasso