Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 32 bit serial - inverted more useful than non inverted? — Parallax Forums

P2 32 bit serial - inverted more useful than non inverted?

TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
edited 2014-10-07 17:13 in Propeller 2
I've been making use out the SEROUT feature of the prop 2. Its great for intra-cog debugging because in a single instruction you can send out a byte, or indeed a non inverted (0=Low,1=High) 32 bit long.

However I think the 32 bit inverted mode could be more useful than the non inverted mode, because then you can pack 3 characters, with forced start/stop bits at appropriate places within the 32 bit frame, into a single instruction, and still read it with a standard serial adapter at the PC end. The non-inverted 32 bits would need a logic analyzer (or intermediate prop) to decode.

As its currently implemented, only the 32 bit non inverted mode is available, in addition to 8 bit inverted and 8 bit non inverted.

If it ends up being possible to invert on the final pin driver, then I guess that would solve this problem.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2014-10-07 17:13
    Tubular wrote: »
    If it ends up being possible to invert on the final pin driver, then I guess that would solve this problem.
    I would expect a smart pin cell to include polarity option, ( as well as Pull Up / Pull Down and Drive Strength choices etc)