Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Low cost wifi module ESP8266 - Page 12 — Parallax Forums

Low cost wifi module ESP8266

Comments

• Changed "port forwarding" settings in my router (IP and port 80). Still no joy (using cell phone outside my local network). Still have not changed from "station" to "softAP". Will try that when I get the chance. Happy 4th to all.
    Bob
  • I am currently running 3 esp's on win 10 with no problems. They show up as Espiff with seperate IP's. Two of the boards are Sparkfun ESP DEV boards and currently 1 Adafruit Huzzah +esp for system display. Dont care moch for using the Arduino ide but it works for me!
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2016-07-03 16:38
    NAVFAC10 wrote: »
    Changed "port forwarding" settings in my router (IP and port 80). Still no joy (using cell phone outside my local network). Still have not changed from "station" to "softAP". Will try that when I get the chance. Happy 4th to all.
    Bob

Unless you have a business account your ISP will block it. You probably don't want port 80 anyway it attracts malicious intent. Try forwarding a higher port, like 12000 to port 80 on the ESP. Then put in your internet address http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:12000 and it should work.

You might also want to look into dynamic DNS to prevent issues with your home IP changing. http://www.noip.com/free is free.

• KMyers wrote: »
    I am currently running 3 esp's on win 10 with no problems. They show up as Espiff with seperate IP's. Two of the boards are Sparkfun ESP DEV boards and currently 1 Adafruit Huzzah +esp for system display. Dont care moch for using the Arduino ide but it works for me!
    I've had three ESP units on a single network and they seemed to work fine. I've never tried setting up my router for access from the internet though. I also dislike the Arduino IDE. Some people have complained about SimpleIDE but I think it is far better than the Arduino IDE. I've done most of my ESP development just using the command line tools with BBEdit on the Mac and gedit under Linux.

• Kmyers, Is that before or after flashing?
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    yeti wrote: »
    Probably holding the Propeller resetted by an ESP8266 GPIO pin and filling the EEPROM using the ESP8266 as i2c master is far easier... this is waiting on my to do list...
    If you get this running I and I am sure others are interrested as well. Please post our progress.
  • They ran fine right out of box with original firmware!

Yes I like simple ide much better but in project mode and not simple. How hard would it be to enable simple to work with the esp's san prop? Plan here is to bring in a prop in the future.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2016-07-03 23:01
    KMyers wrote: »
    They ran fine right out of box with original firmware!

Yes I like simple ide much better but in project mode and not simple. How hard would it be to enable simple to work with the esp's san prop? Plan here is to bring in a prop in the future.
    The Arduino IDE has a framework for adding new targets. Unfortunately, SimpleIDE does not as far as I know so adding an ESP8266 target would likely require quite a bit of work. The good news though is that SimpleIDE is open source and the sources are available in the Parallax github account under the project SimpleIDE so you are welcome to work on a port. If you get one working, please submit a pull request so Parallax can consider adding it to the official version.

https://github.com/parallaxinc/SimpleIDE

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    David,

Sounds like another plan to make SimpleIDE into ComplexIDE. :)
  • Heater. wrote: »
    David,

Sounds like another plan to make SimpleIDE into ComplexIDE. :)
    Maybe but they seem to have done this to the Arduino IDE without complicating it beyond just requiring the user to select the board type.

• Would be nice but its WELL beyond my programming skills!
    Would be nice but its WELL beyond my programming skills!
    What exactly are you interested in doing with the ESP8266 that can't be done with either the stock AT+ firmware or NodeMCU?

• I was getting format problems and wrong statements when I used Notepad++ in a copy paste attempt. The AT commands I never really tried!

I can use Arduino but prefer Simpleide. Never could get into CodeBlocks. The simpler the better but I like ide's much better then copy/paste.
    I was getting format problems and wrong statements when I used Notepad++ in a copy paste attempt. The AT commands I never really tried!

I can use Arduino but prefer Simpleide. Never could get into CodeBlocks. The simpler the better but I like ide's much better then copy/paste.
    Notepad++ is a Windows editor? I think I've used it in the past but not recently. I can understand the desire for an IDE. I've enjoyed using them in the past but I started programming long before they existed so I'm also comfortable just using a text editor and command line tools. I realize I'm in the minority there though. I hope you find an acceptable IDE.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    David Betz wrote: »
    I was getting format problems and wrong statements when I used Notepad++ in a copy paste attempt. The AT commands I never really tried!

Notepad++ is a Windows editor? I think I've used it in the past but not recently. I can understand the desire for an IDE. I've enjoyed using them in the past but I started programming long before they existed so I'm also comfortable just using a text editor and command line tools. I realize I'm in the minority there though. I hope you find an acceptable IDE.

That minority may be larger than you think. I started with punch cards for 1401 SPS, then paper tape on PDP8, then a terminal to hard disk using a line editor. After that came an 8080 and edlin to 8" floppies. Pretty sure more than a few folks on the forum had a similar experience.
  • kwinn wrote: »

That minority may be larger than you think. I started with punch cards for 1401 SPS, then paper tape on PDP8, then a terminal to hard disk using a line editor. After that came an 8080 and edlin to 8" floppies. Pretty sure more than a few folks on the forum had a similar experience.
    Yes, I think many have that kind of background but many also are not interested in going back to that mode of interaction and still demand an IDE. Nothing wrong with that. An IDE can be more productive for some.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    kwinn wrote: »

Yes, I think many have that kind of background but many also are not interested in going back to that mode of interaction and still demand an IDE. Nothing wrong with that. An IDE can be more productive for some.

Agreed. I prefer programming with an IDE but can (and still do on occasion) work with a text editor and command line tools.
  • I have mine loaded with lualoader. It is really odd because the only way they seem to work correctly is after hitting the AP button when lualoader is running. The init.lua file is there but never really seems to do anything unless running lualoader.
  • NWCCTV wrote: »
    I have mine loaded with lualoader. It is really odd because the only way they seem to work correctly is after hitting the AP button when lualoader is running. The init.lua file is there but never really seems to do anything unless running lualoader.
    I'm afraid I haven't done much with NodeMCU other than flashing the firmware and typing a few Lua commands to the prompt. I've mostly been programming the ESP directly using the Esspresif SDK and the ESP-HTTPD library.

• Try esplorer as an IDE for Nodemcu (Lua) and MicroPython on the ESP8266.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2016-07-05 06:31
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Try esplorer as an IDE for Nodemcu (Lua) and MicroPython on the ESP8266.
    ESPlorer has it's own strangenesses too but "mostly works".

For Lua you can run that telnetd like handfull of lines... look in the examples in your Lua's version (it depends slightly on the firmware version).

Running that on your ESP pet you can connect via "telnet" or "nc" (try "rlwrap nc") and on Github are some file transfer scripts like nodemcu-telnet-uploader... (I did not try them yet... that's on my acceleratedly growing (probably there is some dark energy :-( in it...) to do list...).

MicroPython has the nicer REPL with tab completion... and there is webrepl and a file uploader script for it. I prefer mpfshell which is a ftp like interface to MicroPython's flash and if someday fixed (work in progress), a client for the webrepl REPL too...
  • XANANU, thanks... setting-up port forwarding did the trick.
    Andy, I previously used LuaLoader and had the same problem as you. I was reluctant to use ESPlorer because it requires you to install JAVA. I was very frustrated with the lack of success, so I gave in. It did not work at first (init.lua not running after upload). But after getting used to the IDE, re-Flashing, and uploading init.lua, it seemed to start working (JAVA???). I have only tried on my -12 unit. Now, I can remove power, relocate unit, repower, and it boots and connects to my router. All on a WIN 10 machine. Have a good one.
  • @David yes Notepad++ is windows program and pretty functional at least does what i need. Found my potential cut and paste problem today with my wireless keyboard, feel very dumb...

Actually first computer I saw and used used toggle switches and paper tape, not a S100 system!
  • NAVFAC10, I tried that several times with no luck. Which firmware version are you using to flash? I have several of these now as I have a bunch of projects planned and cannot finish them without these working correctly. I see a lot of people are using Arduino and C to connect but I want to avoid having to use another MCU when they are supposed to be able to do what I need on their own.
    NAVFAC10, I tried that several times with no luck. Which firmware version are you using to flash? I have several of these now as I have a bunch of projects planned and cannot finish them without these working correctly. I see a lot of people are using Arduino and C to connect but I want to avoid having to use another MCU when they are supposed to be able to do what I need on their own.
    Using the Arduino IDE does not necessarily mean you are using another MCU. The Arduino IDE can be used to program the ESP8266 itself and allows you access to the GPIO pins and other hardware interfaces on the ESP. There is no need for another MCU if the ESP has the interfaces that you need.

• David, I understand this. I bought a USB/TTL device that allows me to connect and program with no problems. The problem is getting the device to run init.lua after a reset or power cycle. I have tried the -01 and -12 with the same results. Also, after first flashing the device and without loading anything, I can connect to the wireless network with a Win 7 system but Win 10 will not connect. My Android phone will also connect. All I want to do is create a simple web server for using the GPIO pins to start and stop various other devices. If I can find a simple way without using the Lua Loader I will go that route. I just need the darn thing to start back up after a reset!!!!
    David, I understand this. I bought a USB/TTL device that allows me to connect and program with no problems. The problem is getting the device to run init.lua after a reset or power cycle. I have tried the -01 and -12 with the same results. Also, after first flashing the device and without loading anything, I can connect to the wireless network with a Win 7 system but Win 10 will not connect. My Android phone will also connect. All I want to do is create a simple web server for using the GPIO pins to start and stop various other devices. If I can find a simple way without using the Lua Loader I will go that route. I just need the darn thing to start back up after a reset!!!!
    That's not what I mean. There is no need to use NodeMCU or Lua at all. You can program the ESP in C directly using the Arduino IDE.

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2016-07-07 00:20
    Got it.
    Progress!!! I found this site: http://nodemcu-build.com/ where you can go and select the items you need for your firmware. I did this, they built it for me and voila, the device now works after a reset and/or power cycle. I have it running currently on a -01 device. I will test the -12 in a bit. For now, I am just happy to get it going so it runs my program after a reset!!!!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2016-07-07 04:38
    A bit off topic question but subject is the same. Does anyone know the command in the LuaLoader to assign a specific port for the device to listen on? I have both GPIO's working on my LAN on a -01 but after forwarding port 80 from my router I cannot hit it from outside. I have a static IP assigned by my ISP.

Edit: I ran a Port Scan program and the device showed up with the IP address but it did not show a port being used.
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    If I undestand you question, you should be able to map the port both outside and inside on the router.
    So you hopefully can map something similar
    device 1: LAN port 80 on IP1 - WAN port 8080
    device 2: LAN port 80 on IP2 - WAN port 8081

Massimo