Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot movies...got a favorite? - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Robot movies...got a favorite?

124»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2015-06-03 18:12
    Ex_Machina's "Ava" sure is a hottie, but not exactly 3-laws safe, now is she?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-06-04 11:07
    erco wrote: »
    Ex_Machina's "Ava" sure is a hottie, but not exactly 3-laws safe, now is she?
    Maybe not even 1 Law safe...
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-06-28 14:14
    Got Chappie at RedBox today. That didn't take long. :)

Will report.
    edited 2015-06-28 16:30
    You could have saved $1.50 by asking! Filthy language, def not kid-friendly, BTW. http://www.solarmovie.ws/watch-chappie-2015-online.html

Lots more there too, look around.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-06-29 02:47
    erco wrote: »
    You could have saved $1.50 by asking! Filthy language, def not kid-friendly, BTW. http://www.solarmovie.ws/watch-chappie-2015-online.html

Lots more there too, look around.

Yup. A waste of a buck fiddy, and 2 hours of my time. Half of the dialog was unintelligible.
    Jim: You and me wouldn't last long in the gangsta rapper world, South African accents or not. I bet even Aussie Hugh Jickman had trouble keeping up with those thick accents.
  • Not necessarily favs, but ones I think most people would enjoy:
    Eva (Spanish) - neat way of programming the robots too (if a bit simplistic)
    Hugo - If I remember correctly, it's not a digitally controlled robot, but mechanical.  The kids will like this movie as well!
  • Also more computer than robot, but really also the first instance of what would eventually be called the Singularity in fiction, my avatar is Dr. Charles Forbin from Colossus: The Forbin Project, a movie made in 1974 with hilariously retro technology by today's standards.  But it had a tremendous influence on me and *cough* certain online writings of mine.
  • I liked John the Robot from the movie Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet. A remake of the movie was named Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet of Women. Second version is more watchable. A strong Russian robot that was left to destruction in a lava flow on the planet Venus.john-the-robot1.jpg

Kronos was cool too. Never could figure out how it moved though....kronos.jpg

-Steve
    Doesn't robot "Case" violate at least two of the three laws by climbing into the ship (saving itself) ahead of Doyle, who Case doesn't help, and gets washed away? BTW, for a rocket scientist, Doyle's kinds dumb. He stands around a lot watching and shows no urgency getting back to the ship.

Just saw this at Wiki:

In later fiction where robots had taken responsibility for government of whole planets and human civilizations, Asimov also added a fourth, or zeroth law, to precede the others: A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

Pressure's on, Activity Bot. Man Droid Up!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Hmm...
    A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
    There is about as much chance of being able to enforce such a law on our future AI overlords as any human government we have ever had.

• erco wrote: »
    Just saw this at Wiki:

In later fiction where robots had taken responsibility for government of whole planets and human civilizations, Asimov also added a fourth, or zeroth law, to precede the others: A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

A number of writers, including Brian Aldiss, Ron Goulart, Jack Williamson, DF Jones and many others ran with this concept to create robotic/super computers that protected their humans a little bit too much. There's just no winning against the more entrenched natural laws of human behavior. Robot programming can't overcome it.

Asimov's intention, well-placed at the time, was to counter the flow of evil robot stories that were common in science fiction. Already, the Adam Link I, Robot story had come out with a similar theme as the laws he'd later enumerate.

Alicia Vikander (robot of Ex Machina) is pretty buffed in the new Tomb Raider reboot. I'm calling that she will be the next female superhero in the MCU or DCU.

Is there a need for a lady cyborg, kicking butt & taking names?
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2018-04-07 18:54
    IF you are bored, and can handle violence level : INSANITY .. i mean really, you probably have never watched a movie with this much carnage in it, ever.

Watch HardCore Henry. LOL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_Henry

I don't even know if the movie is about a robot, but it sure seems like it.

If you can survive the movies completely insane, non-stop violence and chaos till the end, you will see why the movie might just be about a robot.

• localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2018-04-07 22:37
    Asimov's intention, well-placed at the time, was to counter the flow of evil robot stories that were common in science fiction.

And nearly all of Asimov's robot stories were about the unworkability of the Three Laws in various situations. A couple were about humans' inability to deal with robots trying to help them because of 3L imperatives. And the 4L/zeroL was about how robots might come to look almost evil to an individual human in the course of fulfilling some larger goal barely visible at the personal level, which is of course how a fair number of evil human beings end up motivating themselves.
    Your comment gave me a fiendish idea for a movie: SAW with robots. Put the robots in cruel fabricated dilemmas to test their programming, decision making, and abilities to save themselves or someone else.

DOH! DARPA beat me to it.

• Did anyone consider these two Doctor Who adventures, featuring Tom Baker as the Doctor?
    Robot, which got him started with the previous fellow's companion Sarah Jane, and then adding Harry Sullivan?

And of course the one where he and Leela sort things out? Robots of Death.

Oddly enough that one has been compared to I Robot.

And all of you know of some of my favorites.....