Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ruminations while awaiting an FPGA image (was "Hello...... Anyone out there?") - Page 13 — Parallax Forums

Ruminations while awaiting an FPGA image (was "Hello...... Anyone out there?")

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-08-06 07:41
    ctwardell wrote: »
    That leaves the question of if there will be a P1 image for the DE0-nano and/or DE2-115? I can see only releasing it for the new board to drive those into the field, but that has the risk of alienating those that invested in the previously used boards.

C.W.

Alienated is a mild description..........

OK, It's a P1 FPGA package PLUS, when Ken was last over in China, he bought a FAB so you can create your custom P1 design, send it off to Rocklin and have your chip fabricated. Ok, it will be expensive but it can't be much more than most of us have already spent with Parallax! :smile: I'd do it just for the customer service!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-08-06 07:44
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Alienated is a mild description..........

OK, It's a P1 FPGA package PLUS, when Ken was last over in China, he bought a FAB so you can create your custom P1 design, send it off to Rocklin and have your chip fabricated. Ok, it will be expensive but it can't be much more than most of us have already spent with Parallax! :smile: I'd do it just for the customer service!
    Cool! So when can I buy a P1-forth chip from you? :-)
    edited 2014-08-06 07:49
    David Betz wrote: »
    Cool! So when can I buy a P1-forth chip from you? :-)

Haha!! These are the only wafers I'm smart enough to make!

vanilla-wafer.jpg
    295 x 216 - 15K
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-08-06 07:54
    Haha!! These are the only wafers I'm smart enough to make!

vanilla-wafer.jpg

Do you have a datasheet for your wafers? :lol:
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-08-06 07:56
    What time do we expect the announcement?
    edited 2014-08-06 07:58
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    What time do we expect the announcement?
    I assume not until at least 9am Pacific time plus however long it takes to put a web page online.
  • John A. ZoidbergJohn A. Zoidberg Posts: 514
    edited 2014-08-06 08:01
    I've skimmed through the P2 development process - and I hope I'm not beat up for this: When's the next actual physical test of the processor? Are these still in beta stages? I knew that the fabricated ones are out for test but due to some internal circuit issues the thing is being redone.

I'm still waiting for that P2 - maybe it'd be a great chip for those big 7" screens with GUI I'll be working on nowadays. If it's there, it would just make it much easier. :)
    edited 2014-08-06 08:02
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Do you have a datasheet for your wafers? :lol:

Certainly!

vanilla-wafer-nfp.png

They are also very good in embedded applications!
    nilla-wafer-banana-pudding.jpg
    278 x 390 - 8K
    590 x 400 - 36K
    edited 2014-08-06 08:02
    I assumed the web pages were done and only needed to be linked in.
    Parallax hours say 8:00am to ?
    edited 2014-08-06 08:03
    I've skimmed through the P2 development process - and I hope I'm not beat up for this: When's the next actual physical test of the processor? Are these still in beta stages? I knew that the fabricated ones are out for test but due to some internal circuit issues the thing is being redone.

I'm still waiting for that P2 - maybe it'd be a great chip for those big 7" screens with GUI I'll be working on nowadays. If it's there, it would just make it much easier. :)

TBD - To Be Determined

Still don't have all the new pieces stiched together to make an FPGA image.
    edited 2014-08-06 08:04
    What geometry sizes are those wafers?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-08-06 08:05
    I'd love to post a screenshot of the email... but.. because I opened my mouth, I can't...

Maybe one of the other distributors who are here who haven't been asked to stay quiet will...
  • John A. ZoidbergJohn A. Zoidberg Posts: 514
    edited 2014-08-06 08:06
    TBD - To Be Determined

Still don't have all the new pieces stiched together to make an FPGA image.

Ah, I see. Hopefully it will be good to go for the second or third test afterwards.

I would just wait patiently. Meanwhile I may use other alternatives for the TFT screen GUI in my work while waiting for the Parallax's R&D to finish creating the P2.. :)
    edited 2014-08-06 08:09
    I'd love to post a screenshot of the email... but.. because I opened my mouth, I can't...

Maybe one of the other distributors who are here who haven't been asked to stay quiet will...

You could accidentally send it to close personal friends that say send you an email telling you they put that 28 pin ZIF socket in the mail yesterday and you should have it today.

(Shoot, I was supposed to put that last part in an email! Dang!)
    edited 2014-08-06 08:11
    You could accidentally send it to close personal friends that say send you an email telling you they put that 28 pin ZIF socket in the mail yesterday and you should have it today.

I got that socket just now.. Thank you Rick.. Nope.. sorry, lips sealed..

Guess what else arrived this morning with my mail from H.K.... :) I'll be in the shop most of the day today.
    edited 2014-08-06 08:17
    Boards??? You got boards???

Kit one up and send me a bill!!
    edited 2014-08-06 08:18
    While we patiently wait (what!Who is patient!) for the announcement, what goodies did you get from H.K.?
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2014-08-06 08:21
    It must be a day for getting stuff from Hong Kong as I just got a delivery too :-)
    edited 2014-08-06 08:23
    While we patiently wait (what!Who is patient!) for the announcement, what goodies did you get from H.K.?

I'm guessing it is the first batch of boards for this:
    ** The MicroMite Companion Board (MMC) **

This board is expected to ship (mid-August) in "kit" form with uMiteCompanion on the EEPROM & MMBASIC on the PIC.
    The kit includes parts required for VGA 64/256 output, Audio output, PS/2 Keyboard input, Wii input , SD card, & breadboard area.

The MicroMite Companion Board is designed to behave as a retro-style BASIC mini computer, but with additional horsepower of MMBASIC. MMBASIC provides extremely strong, yet simple to use access to common I2C, Onewire, and serial devices from BASIC. In addition it is capable of LCD output, and servo control. The MMC kit is more like a self-contained BASIC STAMP or PICAXE environment, additionally compatible with Propeller programs. Access to open Propeller and Micromite I/O provides the user with the best of both worlds in a single project.

This kit is perfect for:

* Retro computer enthusiast who desires a powerful retro-style platform
    * The beginner to intermediate microcontroller experimenters.

Which a few of us are eagerly awaiting!
    edited 2014-08-06 08:24

I just got the PEB restock, and..... a box containing the first run of Micromite Companion boards...

I really should be getting my butt over to the shop to start building a test unit so I can get one to Rick. :)

...but here I am, still chatting it up on the forums..
    edited 2014-08-06 08:24
    Too early for the postie here - its 1:25am here
    edited 2014-08-06 08:27
    I just got the PEB restock, and..... a box containing the first run of Micromite Companion boards...
    Cool! Can I place my order now? :-)
    edited 2014-08-06 08:32
    It's not like YOU don't know what the big announcement is!!!

I'd vote for getting your butt over to the shop and building up a test board! :lol:

Ok.. Ok.. I just finished my second cup of coffee. I'm loading up the Jeep now.. I'll check in after a couple hours and see if Parallax has posted up.

Heading for the shop.. Looking forward to a good day of building Micromite Companion. :)
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2014-08-06 08:39
    @JRetSapDoog

re:Mr. Lawrence: I have asked you before and now I'm kindly asking you again: please stopping tapping into my webcam and watching me!

Ok but not before you clean that mess up LOL
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    edited 2014-08-06 08:42
    Don't see anything yet. Is the interview with Steve new? Might be fun to read that.
    Looks like he may have gotten SimpleIDE to show spin code with colored background based on the image.
    That probably took some custom coding...
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-08-06 08:53
    Rayman,

Looks like he may have gotten SimpleIDE to show spin code with colored background based on the image.
    SimpleIDE has been colorizing Spin sections for years now.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-08-06 08:56
    Rayman wrote: »
    Don't see anything yet. Is the interview with Steve new? Might be fun to read that.

That went live a week ago. Not sure Steve's happy with the mug shot though. :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-08-06 08:57
    Here it is! the ELEV-8 V2 is in stock!!

http://www.parallax.com/product/80200

NOT!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2014-08-06 09:00
    It's a good interview.

OK kids, it's 9:00. Let's have it! :)
    edited 2014-08-06 09:05
    You guys still haven't been told??!!?!

/me ducks and runs back to his soldering station...