Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 28 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2014-09-05 21:02
    I haven't paid much attention to the work that is happening on this project but tonight I thought I would give it a try. Wow!! Congratulations!! you guys! What a great job you did. Very nice.:cool:
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-09-07 09:06
    Thanks Bob.

We are still working on the PropellerIDE.

Today, I'm trying an RPi build.

The RPi build is horribly slow. Hope it works right the first time.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-09-07 10:40
    My fingers are crossed jazzed. I just tryed the Windows version and it looks great! I finally built Opencv 2.4.9 yesterday. I didn't track the time but is was more than several hours and finally I have my first video

C++ program built on the Pi. Now to have a Propeller Spin tool on the Pi is fantastic, much improvement over SimpleIDE's Spin tool..
    edited 2014-09-07 11:29
    PropellerIDE is running on my RPi, but I'm having FTDI driver troubles.

I've added code to the linux/pack.sh script for building a .deb package that can be installed and run on RPi. A binary .deb package may be available later once the FTDI troubles are understood and resolved. The /dev/ttyAMA0 device is not found at the moment ... it is being artificially filtered.

Follow the instructions on https://code.google.com/p/easyside/ .... Let me know if the instructions don't work (assuming you are reading them).

SimpleIDE will never offer the kind of support that PropellerIDE is targeting. The open source PropellerIDE is an official Parallax program (published under ParallaxInc as of last month), but support and bug/feature maintenance are only available via the forums. PropellerIDE functionality and packaging still have some issues that need to be resolved.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-09-07 11:41
    jazzed wrote: »
    PropellerIDE is running on my RPi, but I'm having FTDI driver troubles.

I've added code to the linux/pack.sh script for building a .deb package that can be installed and run on RPi. A binary .deb package may be available later once the FTDI troubles are understood and resolved. The /dev/ttyAMA0 device is not found at the moment ... it is being artificially filtered.

Follow the instructions on https://code.google.com/p/easyside/ .... Let me know if the instructions don't work (assuming you are reading them).

SimpleIDE will never offer the kind of support that PropellerIDE is targeting. The open source PropellerIDE is an official Parallax program (published under ParallaxInc as of last month), but support and bug/feature maintenance are only available via the forums. PropellerIDE functionality and packaging still have some issues that need to be resolved.
    How is that different from SimpleIDE? Isn't it also an official Parallax program?
    edited 2014-09-07 11:44
    David Betz wrote: »
    How is that different from SimpleIDE? Isn't it also an official Parallax program?

PropellerIDE is only for Spin programming.
    edited 2014-09-07 12:04
    jazzed you probaby know this but I had to learn the hard way to use ttyAMA0. The information I found here is were I started to use that device.
    edited 2014-09-07 12:10
    PropellerIDE is only for Spin programming.
    Yes, I understand that but they are both official Parallax programs, right?
    edited 2014-09-07 12:20
    ratronic,

Your post reminded me of a general problem with FTDI chips! A new driver build is required to support the new FT230X series of chips.

So, I plugged in a board with the old FT232RL chip, and it works no problem!

attachment.php?attachmentid=110834&d=1410120960

I'm using RPi with VNC which is much better performance for me at least than other solutions. The colors are horrible, but at least my keyboard and mouse ALWAYS work right with VNC by contrast with the RPI soluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuution. Gak!
    edited 2014-09-07 12:21
    Yes, I understand that but they are both official Parallax programs, right?

Not sure what I said that would make anyone think otherwise.
    edited 2014-09-07 12:28
    Not sure what I said that would make anyone think otherwise.

I wasn't entirely sure that this meant:
    SimpleIDE will never offer the kind of support that PropellerIDE is targeting.
    You followed this by a statement that PropellerIDE was an official Parallax product which made me wonder about SimpleIDE. I guess you probably just meant that SimpleIDE would never have the extensive Spin support that is planned for PropellerIDE?
    edited 2014-09-07 12:42
    jazzed I looked at the instructions you posted and it says I need Mercurial. I only see versions for Windows and OSX. Is there a chance you can add an instruction to install to post 808?
    edited 2014-09-07 12:43
    I guess you probably just meant that SimpleIDE would never have the extensive Spin support that is planned for PropellerIDE?

I see. Yes, that's precisely what I meant.

By "support" in "SimpleIDE will never offer the kind of support that PropellerIDE is targeting." you thought I meant that Parallax support engineering would not answer SimpleIDE questions?

Ken had to remind Parallax support engineering once that SimpleIDE is an officially supported product. So, they do officially support SimpleIDE.

Opensource PropellerIDE is not officially supported product yet AFAIK, but Ken is publishing it. So some day it may be officially supported. I don't know all the details for sure.
    edited 2014-09-07 12:44
    I see. Yes, that's precisely what I meant.

By "support" in "SimpleIDE will never offer the kind of support that PropellerIDE is targeting." you thought I meant that Parallax support engineering would not answer SimpleIDE questions?

Ken had to remind Parallax support engineering once that SimpleIDE is an officially supported product. So, they do officially support SimpleIDE.

Opensource PropellerIDE is not officially supported product yet AFAIK, but Ken is publishing it. So some day it may be officially supported. I don't know all the details for sure.
    I hope you're getting royalties on these programs! Let's see, if they ship 100k copies at $0/copy with a 10% royalty then you'll make.... Never mind.
    edited 2014-09-07 12:56
    ratronic wrote: »
    jazzed I looked at the instructions you posted and it says I need Mercurial. I only see versions for Windows and OSX. Is there a chance you can add an instruction to install to post 808?

You don't need mercurial to use one of the distributions in post #808.

For building from source on RPi, you need internet access, and must to run the commands below as root. I seriously recommending using bash on the RPi console.

$ apt-get install mercurial
    $ apt-get install libqt4-dev
    $ apt-get install git

In some folder

$ hg clone https://code.google.com/p/easyside propelleride
    $ cd propelleride
    $ hg update loader

$ git clone https://github.com/reltham/OpenSpin.git openspin

$ ./plinrelease.sh

Go eat lunch.
    Folder Propeller-0-19 is the output of ./plinrelease.sh today.

$ cd linux
    $ ./pack.sh ../PropellerIDE-0-19

$ dpkg -i propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb
    $ apt-get install -f

To uninstall propelleride:

$ apt-get remove propelleriede
    edited 2014-09-07 13:35
    Steve thanks for your time and sorry for my questions. I followed what you posted above and at the 'git clone ....' line it wants a user name and password to continue the clone.

EDIT: Nevermind got past that part - My bad - typo
    edited 2014-09-07 15:04
    Thanks to everybody that put time into this. I have it working on my Pi now. I like the colors matching the original Prop tool.
    edited 2014-09-07 15:15
    ratronic wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody that put time into this. I have it working on my Pi now. I like the colors matching the original Prop tool.

Congratulations.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2014-09-07 15:16
    Steve,
    I am missing something here too.

Isn't SimpleIDE a superset of PropellerIDE - ie supports C & C++ in addition to spin and pasm ???

If so, why would SimpleIDE not fully support spin like PropellerIDE ???
    If not, what is the main differences (in general) ???

I have only looked at SimpleIDE from a curious point of view since (at least currently) I am not interested in C/C++.

So, should I be trying to use PropellerIDE instead of PropTool to aid you in testing it ???
    I am quite happy to try if it helps. BTW I am on Windows 8.1 (and Windows 7 but less time now).
    edited 2014-09-07 15:41
    PropellerIDE was designed from the beginning to be a multi-OS Spin tool.

SimpleIDE was designed to be a multi-OS C/C++ tool for the Parallax Propeller C Education department. Spin was an afterthought in SimpleIDE except for integrating some existing PASM drivers.

I'm under pressure to make PropellerIDE behave more like the PropellerTool for upcoming projects. There is no point in trying to make SimpleIDE into a PropellerTool clone++ ... it is what it is. PropellerIDE is more of a PropellerTool clone, and it will get other new features over time.

I would appreciate any testing on PropellerIDE that people are willing to invest.

Brett is writing a User Guide and doing some testing too. He found a few bugs that I haven't been able to address just yet.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2014-09-07 17:34
    You don't need mercurial to use one of the distributions in post #808.

For building from source on RPi, you need internet access, and must to run the commands below as root. I seriously recommending using bash on the RPi console.
    $ dpkg -i propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb

Everything seems to go well, but... At this point, I get :
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Monaco]$ dpkg -i propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]dpkg: error: requested operation requires superuser privilege
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]$ sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]dpkg: error processing propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb (--install):[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco] cannot access archive: No such file or directory[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Errors were encountered while processing:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco] propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb[/FONT][/COLOR]

I get the first error, then retry the command with 'sudo'... I'm not sure what file dpkg cannot access. All files within /propelleride are owned by the 'pi' user.

example:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Monaco]-rw-r--r--  1 pi pi 1701026 Sep  7 17:25 propelleride-0.19-armv6l.deb[/FONT]
    [/COLOR]

What could be the problemo, senior?

Thanks,
    dgately
    edited 2014-09-07 19:26
    Hi Dennis.

Back from Europe?

What Linux version are you running. I have the PI wheezy version (some variant of Debian).

The pack.sh script is trying to determine the ARM type using uname -n ... I get raspberrypi with that. I'm assuming that doesn't work for you at this point. Using uname -m gives the armv6l variant.

Can you copy/paste the output of pack.sh here ?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-09-07 21:38
    Jazzed,

I have the PI wheezy version (some variant of Debian).
    Do you mean that? Or do you have Raspian?

Raspian is basically Debian Wheezy but all recompiled to make proper use of the floating point hardware of the Pi.There is no current version of "real" Debian that is built for the Raspi SoC which was deemed to be an "old" architecture.

This is kind of important because real Debian on the Pi uses software floating point emulation instead of the hardware fp. And the vast majority of Pi users use Raspbian.
    edited 2014-09-07 21:48
    Hi Dennis.

Back from Europe?

What Linux version are you running. I have the PI wheezy version (some variant of Debian).

The pack.sh script is trying to determine the ARM type using uname -n ... I get raspberrypi with that. I'm assuming that doesn't work for you at this point. Using uname -m gives the armv6l variant.

Can you copy/paste the output of pack.sh here ?

Back about a week, now... Got some great sunset views with that fancy Canon lens I rented :-)

I have one of the newer B+ RaspberryPi boards. I'm on the Debian variant, that comes with NOOBS LITE:
    [FONT=Roboto]Network install only[/FONT]
    [FONT=Roboto]Version:[FONT=courier]1.3.9[/FONT]
    Release date:[FONT=courier]2014-07-08[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    my system says this about itself:

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Monaco]$ cat /etc/os-release[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]VERSION_ID="7"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]VERSION="7 (wheezy)"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]ID=raspbian[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]ID_LIKE=debian[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]ANSI_COLOR="1;31"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Monaco] $ ./pack.sh ../PropellerIDE-0-19[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Building debian package for PropellerIDE-0-19[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]make propelleride folders[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Copy propelleride.sh[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Ensure executable[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Copy PropellerIDE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Copy openspin[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Copy p1load[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Copy License Info[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Copy Spin Library[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Make .deb Package[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]dpkg-deb: building package `propelleride' in `propelleride-0.19-armv6l.deb'.[/FONT][/COLOR]

dgately
    edited 2014-09-07 21:53
    Heater. wrote: »
    Jazzed,

Do you mean that? Or do you have Raspian?

Raspian is basically Debian Wheezy but all recompiled to make proper use of the floating point hardware of the Pi.There is no current version of "real" Debian that is built for the Raspi SoC which was deemed to be an "old" architecture.

This is kind of important because real Debian on the Pi uses software floating point emulation instead of the hardware fp. And the vast majority of Pi users use Raspbian.

Does this make me a "Raspi-farian?"
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Monaco]$ cat /etc/os-release
    [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
    [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
    [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]VERSION_ID="7"
    [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
    [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]ID=raspbian
    [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]ID_LIKE=debian
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

dgately
    edited 2014-09-07 22:13
    Jazzed,

I think I see at least one issue in pack.sh...

It appears that pack.sh expects the RPi's uname -n to be "raspberrypi", but the user can easily change that name. In fact, one of the options in setting up an RPi is to run raspi-config, where the user is given an option to change the network name of the board. My RPi's are always named something like "gatorPi"...

I mod'ed the pack.sh script to test my theory and yes, I get further in the dpkg process, until I get a new error:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Monaco]$ sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Selecting previously unselected package propelleride.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco](Reading database ... 85686 files and directories currently installed.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Unpacking propelleride (from propelleride-0.19-armhf.deb) ...[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of propelleride:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco] propelleride depends on libftdi1; however:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]  Package libftdi1 is not installed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]dpkg: error processing propelleride (--install):[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco] dependency problems - leaving unconfigured[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco]Errors were encountered while processing:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monaco] propelleride[/FONT][/COLOR]

So, looks like I need a FTDI lib, if I've got a really clean Raspian system (This is a fairly stock RPi system with very few additions). Do I need to install some FTDI stuff?

dgately
    edited 2014-09-07 22:21
    Dennis,

What you are seeing is normal.

Now, do the command $ apt-get install -f

This allows linux to resolve dependencies for us!
    edited 2014-09-07 22:43
    Dennis,

What you are seeing is normal.

Now, do the command $ apt-get install -f

This allows linux to resolve dependencies for us!

OK, pack.sh still has an error in expecting "raspberrypi" as its uname -n, correct?

OK, so I continue the process...

Ran "apt-get install -f"

Hah! Now, you're talkin!

Here's PropellerIDE running on "gatorPi", as seen in XQuartz from my MacBook Pro. I use ssh -l "myUser" 10.0.0.nn -X to get the RPi to give me an X session on the Mac. From there I exec propelleride on the RPi and it shows up nicely in an X window, on my Mac... (oh, fun!).

RPiPropIDE.jpg

Up & running though, as you mentioned not yet able to load my QuickStart board...

loadErr.png

portErr.png

although, it does find the board, when I request "Identify Hardware"!

Identified.png

And, yes the QS is plugged into a USB hub attached to the RPi.

Getting closer...

Thanks
    dgately
    1024 x 857 - 114K
    480 x 334 - 23K
    696 x 216 - 22K
    540 x 216 - 20K
    edited 2014-09-07 22:49
    Patience is a virtue, I'm told...

I reran the load process several times with failure, until:

DahDah.jpg

It worked! Not sure what was going on during the failures, but about the 4th try successfully loaded the RAM and brought-up the terminal.

I'll try to load to eeprom, now.

dgately
    1024 x 831 - 107K
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2014-09-17 14:25
    On Raspberry Pi, I got as far as ./plinrelease.sh which quickly gave a fail message that qmake could not be found.
    What should I do? Start over? Reboot or something needed by Qt?

Other details:
    Used sudo passwd root" to set root password on fresh 8GB NOOBS Raspbian before starting propelleride install.
    Typed sudo and mypassword; Began entering the commands given above in this thread as root without startx, after first boot.
    Ignored "in some folder" because It wasn't specific about what to do. Maybe something needs to be done after startx?
    Things seemed going well until now. Looking hopefully for instructions for "everyone" to Spin the Propeller with Pi.