Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 DE0 to P8X32A DIP footprint converter pcb — Parallax Forums

P2 DE0 to P8X32A DIP footprint converter pcb

TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
edited 2013-12-06 15:51 in Propeller 2
I've had a first pass at this converter pcb so we can plug P2 enabled DE0's into P1-based designs

I don't have the DE0 with me at home to check the prop plug header gets out of the way, and I know it will have to move a little bit especially if the boards are connected using IDC ribbon. There is no real constraint on this though.

I can see about 3 ways of connecting the DE0 - one way would be to solder a right angle female header in the middle, elevating it a bit, so the DE0 would run up vertically above the P1 footprint.

Once checked mechanically I can post this to the OSHpark site so anyone can order them. They would be something like $9 for 3 that way.
1024 x 359 - 79K

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-12-06 15:14
    Nice idea. But since all of us with the DE0 have/need the Parallax P2 Emulator pcb too, wouldn't it make more sense to plug into the header on that board?
    If so, then your pcb would need to be wider with the header on one side of the P1.

BTW I am still not sure of its real value. It would only work with P1 boards where the P1 hasn't been soldered so that the socket can be under the users board instead of on top. Otherwise you would need to mirror the P1 on your board, and the users board would be upside down.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2013-12-06 15:42
    Hi Cluso

The parallax breakout board serves half a dozen functions
    - 4 resistive DACs broken out to vga/rca (from the other header of the DE0, I'll do a sep small board for that to 3.5mm phono 4c)
    - prop plug header - taken care of on this board
    - spi flash chip - also on this board
    - prototyping area - not really applicable, though you can plug this board into a breadboard as if it were a P1
    - regulator / dc in (n/a as you can just power the DE0 via its mini usb port

You can connect into other designs where the prop is socketed, or have a pcb such as tribladeprop or one off the smorgasboard. I'm going to hook this up to to some of those boards so it connects easily to the peripherals of those boards.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2013-12-06 15:51
    @Tubular,

This is great!

Hopefully it fits into the PPDB from Parallax without to much overlap in space.

P2 and a nice Breadboard and tons of stuff to play with...

Enjoy!

Mike