Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-12-09 04:38
    Remind me again, what is a P1? :)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-09 05:05
    Heater. wrote: »
    Remind me again, what is a P1? :)

It's the one with a design you can write code for that will still work when you wake up the next morning!
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-12-09 06:26
    Brian,

I am laughing from ear to ear. Believe it or not I didn't want to post my question, because I thought, "jeez if this doesn't work," something must really be wrong and Chip doesn't need to hear it from me:)
    I could have been working on my camera!!!!

Thanks

Rich
    edited 2013-12-09 06:31
    By the way, I'm good with either P2 or P3. After that, I would like to stick with prime numbers… and I'm talking real prime numbers. Not the kinds of numbers that our larger agencies pass off as primes.
    Has anyone held Chip down long enough to figure out which Cyclone V board we are moving to?
  • KC_RobKC_Rob Posts: 465
    edited 2013-12-09 06:53
    User Name wrote: »
    What humor? I'm entirely earnest.
    ^viz.
  • KC_RobKC_Rob Posts: 465
    edited 2013-12-09 06:56
    T Chap wrote: »
    Maybe the petty back and forth bickering is best for PM? Not really beneficial for the forum members to be part of this.
    Direct that at "User Name" - who has in fact already taken time to harass me via PM as well. There is no *petty back and forth* here - it's a one-way street.
    edited 2013-12-09 14:50
    Having pushed the right button at Brian's direction, I have had a chance to play around with Balls_txt, Chip's serial out version of the demo. I am using a DE0. What I find is that the lower I put the Baud rate, the more the SDRam memory gets corrupted… I believe this is because we have 10 pounds in a 5 lb. bag. And no matter what I set the baud rate to, the animation stops at the first frame. I have had my DE0 running constantly since I got it… just to see how long it would last. Is it me again?… Is it my Nano? Is it because the memory driver doesn't handle the serial delay correctly? The noise pattern disappears completely with a baud rate of 40M:>)
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-12-09 14:56
    rjo__ wrote: »
    Having pushed the right button at Brian's direction, I have had a chance to play around with Balls_txt, Chip's serial out version of the demo. I am using a DE0. What I find is that the lower I put the Baud rate, the more the SDRam memory gets corrupted… I believe this is because we have 10 pounds in a 5 lb. bag. And no matter what I set the baud rate to, the animation stops at the first frame. I have had my DE0 running constantly since I got it… just to see how long it would last. Is it me again?… Is it my Nano? Is it because the memory driver doesn't handle the serial delay correctly? The noise pattern disappears completely with a baud rate of 40M:>)

You need to extract the short code sequence that refreshes the SDRAM and make a separate routine from it that you can call while serial is being shifted out. You'd need to code it something like this:

:wait
    call #refresh
    serouta data wc
    if_nc jmp #:wait
    edited 2013-12-09 14:59
    I was hoping not to bother you:)… go to bed.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-12-10 08:03
    rjo__ wrote: »
    By the way, I'm good with either P2 or P3. After that, I would like to stick with prime numbers… and I'm talking real prime numbers. Not the kinds of numbers that our larger agencies pass off as primes.
    Has anyone held Chip down long enough to figure out which Cyclone V board we are moving to?

I like the idea of prime numbers.... of course that means we have to stay with the P2 as 2 is the next prime number. Right?
    edited 2013-12-14 12:05
    Just an update on my serial out issue. I first compared the original Balls example without the serial code to Chip's file with the serial code… they appeared identical except for the serial code. So, I tried to remove the serial stuff to return the code from Chip's serial out version to its original state and it remained broken… I then went to the original example without the serial code and added in Chip's serial code and it worked like a charm. I have no idea what is going on here, and don't much care. Right now I'm waiting for a new prop-plug. I tried to jury rig one from a usb proto board, but ...
    edited 2013-12-14 12:32
    rjo_
    ...stick with prime numbers...
    and Loopy,
    ...of course that means we have to stay with the P2 as 2 is the next prime
    number. Right?

Wrong. 2 is actually the first prime number. Ergo we cannot "stick with primes" starting from the P1.
  • dMajodMajo Posts: 855
    edited 2013-12-23 08:59

Wrong. 2 is actually the first prime number. Ergo we cannot "stick with primes" starting from the P1.

Isn't a prime number the one that can be divided only by 1 and by itself? In what "1" not apply with the former statement?
    edited 2013-12-23 09:46
    dMajo,
    Isn't a prime number the one that can be divided only by 1 and by itself? In what "1" not apply with the former statement?
    The problem here is that your definition of prime is out of date.

This is best explained by a real mathematician so here is a five minute video by Dr James Grime explaining what is going on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQofiPqhJ_s#t=18

After that you will be wanting to watch all the numberphile videos, they are great.
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2013-12-23 11:31
    It seems the aliens agree about excluding 1 from the prime list:

edited 2013-12-23 12:36
    Euclid defined prime numbers as "A prime number is that which is measured by a unit alone."
    Having previously defined the "unit" as "A unit is that by virtue of which each of the things that exist is called one."
    Clearly if a prime is defined in terms of the unit then the unit cannot be a prime. The unit is one, therefore one is not a prime.

He made these definitions 2300 years ago and somewhere between then and my primary school he was misunderstood. Hence we were all taught incorrectly.

Aliens, of course, are so not dumb. Else they would not have got here now would they?

Edit: I meant to say "not so dumb" above.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-12-27 03:49
    First we banished Pluto from the solar system, now we have banished 1 from prime number. All this change is just sinful.
    edited 2013-12-27 04:54
    Loopy,
    All this change is just sinful.

Or is it that one not being a prime and Pluto not being a planet are just correcting mistakes of recent times and restoring harmony and innocence to our age?

Now, if only we could fix that evil trick of the devil that Newton does in his differential calculus where he divides zero by zero and gets a "sensible" result.

And that guy that can always accept a new guest into a hotel with infinitely many rooms when all rooms are already occupied is clearly the spawn of Satan.
  • tritoniumtritonium Posts: 540
    edited 2013-12-27 16:29
    ....and the square root of -1 ? who dreamed that up?
    Mind you mandelbrots are really cool.....

Dave
    edited 2013-12-27 22:34
    tritonium,

Jees, you want to take the square root of minus one?!

Up until 900 and something zero was not recognized as a number. I mean really, have you ever seen zero cats? Clearly zero is a work of a deranged mind.

Minus one? What? Have you ever seen a negative cat?

And now you want me to take the square root of that totally imaginary negative cat?
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2013-12-27 23:49
    I rather like zero. It's a convenient place from which to measure everything else. Besides, binary is probably more useful than unary.
  • tritoniumtritonium Posts: 540
    edited 2013-12-28 01:41
    tritonium,

Jees, you want to take the square root of minus one?!

Up until 900 and something zero was not recognized as a number. I mean really, have you ever seen zero cats? Clearly zero is a work of a deranged mind.

Minus one? What? Have you ever seen a negative cat?

And now you want me to take the square root of that totally imaginary negative cat?

imaginary - that's the word....
    Isn't it great?
    And yet mathematicians use it all over the place as I'm sure you know.
    AC theory is full of it. (look for i or j before an expression) eg jwc

Personally I could never fully get behind calculus - I had all the set formulae and used them to pass exams - but really....

They even say the universe started with a big bang..... and that life evolved......(ducks quickly)

Dave
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-12-28 05:11
    And that guy that can always accept a new guest into a hotel with infinitely many rooms when all rooms are already occupied is clearly the spawn of Satan.

Heater, that statement in itself is incorrect, how can all the rooms be occupied? if it's infinity rooms!
    Also why is it always add one? why not add a 0 to the end you will get never get to infinity, but you'll get a lot closer than just adding one :P Although in all seriousness, how can you add any number, when all the numbers are used up in trying to get to infinity. haha

Hope you're all enjoying the holidays :)
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2013-12-28 06:23

To be clear, he's not the spawn of Satan because he runs a hotel with infinity many rooms. He's the spawn of Satan because he makes an infinite number of existing hotel guest move to another room (from n to 2n) just to make room for more guests! I mean, really! Who else would treat guests like that?
    edited 2013-12-28 07:31
    Heater, that statement in itself is incorrect, how can all the rooms be occupied? if it's infinity rooms!
    Easy. You see on the web booking page of the Infinite Hotel there is a button "Reserve All". I just hit that button and then give them the details of my infinite credit card.

Now, assuming that their web server does not crash whilst trying to do that I have reserved all of the infinite number of rooms at the Infinite Hotel.

Reserved is not occupied of course but that's good enough for now.

In case anyone is wondering this is how you get a room at the fully booked Infinite Hotel.

1) The receptionist reserves room zero for you.

2) Room zero is now double booked because I reserved it above already.

3) The receptionist changes my reservation for room zero to room one. That's OK for me because all the rooms are the same.

4) Room one is now double booked, both by me as it happens,

5) The receptionist changes my reservation for room one to room two.

6) OK, now room two is double booked, the receptionist can change that to three and so on and so and so on...

Whilst the receptionist is sorting out that mess you can check in and get a good night sleep:)
    edited 2013-12-28 07:45
    Seairth,

He's the spawn of Satan because he makes an infinite number of existing hotel guest move to another room (from n to 2n) just to make room for more guests!

That would be terrible, nobody would ever get any sleep.

However it need not be so. No moving of guests is required. How about:

0) Start with an infinite number of rooms. All occupied. Numbered from 0 to infinity.
    1) We just add one to all the room numbers, 0 becomes 1, 1 becomes 2 and so on. If the door numbers are changed quietly the guests will never be disturbed from their slumbers.
    2) We construct a new empty room and call it room 0. That's OK, we had an infinite number of occupied rooms before and now we have an infinite number of occupied rooms plus one empty room.
    3) Put the new guest in room 0.

Now. Satan has a trick for the guests in the morning. The breakfast room is at the end of the corridor !
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-28 08:21
    The true spawns of Satan are those who made it possible for someone to "like" the Infinite Hotel on Facebook and then 'tweet" about their stay (except for the breakfast complaints, of course!)!
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2013-12-29 15:52
    dMajo,

The problem here is that your definition of prime is out of date.

This is best explained by a real mathematician so here is a five minute video by Dr James Grime explaining what is going on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQofiPqhJ_s#t=18

After that you will be wanting to watch all the numberphile videos, they are great.

In order to accept the explanation that 1 is not prime, the video expects you to accept that a product includes the situation where you can multiply a number by a certain kind of nothing and get the number back. 2 x ? = 2 and 3 x ? = 3, but the ? is not 1.

I feel swindled.

pointless classification anyways.

I have 4 cells with which to fill to make a product of prime numbers...
    [7] x [2] x [11] x [1] = 154
    [7] x [2] x [1] x [1] = 14
    [7] x [1] x [1] x [1] = 7
    [1] x [1] x [1] x [1] = 1

What would it matter for the situation that you have more cells to put prime numbers in than needed, that these unused cells just so inconveniently have to be filled with 1 instead of 0 or null. So I take it math hasn't developed an "initialize" operator. so much so that it has to redefine basic math definitions.

Or I could write an academic paper using this thinking that "nothing" is in fact exactly 1! hey, we aren't surrounded by nothing, we're surrounded by the pure, perfect one-ness.

Or, we could just say that a lot of times reality can't be distilled down to fit an exception-less math rule.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-12-29 19:40
    Methinks perhaps these posters have imbibed too much of the Christmas spirit?
    edited 2013-12-30 00:56
    whicker,
    pointless classification anyways.
    I would not be so fast to say so. Given that all of the internet's security depends on the properties of prime numbers for it's crypto algorithms it's probably a good idea to have them defined accurately. Besides all of arithmetic depends on it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_arithmetic

Clearly the squares of integers cannot be prime numbers because they have factors. For example 9 is 3 * 3.
    So we have:
    4 * 4 = 16 Not prime
    3 * 3 = 9 Not prime
    2 * 2 = 4 Not prime
    1 * 1 = 1 Not prime

Oh look, 1 is not prime !

Seems having 1 as a prime number breaks things.