Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help getting started with Spinneret — Parallax Forums

Help getting started with Spinneret

macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 353
edited 2014-10-08 23:41 in Accessories
All,
I have some prop programming and project experience.
I recently purchased a Spinneret and would like to get started.
I have downloaded and read the datasheets and tutorials from the Parallax site and your forum, but I am still not sure on how to get started.
The datasheet says a prop plug or similar external controller is required, so I presume a normal prop board will be acceptable as the external prop.

Please could you point me or suggest some simple instructions on the following;
a) diagram on how to connect the external prop and power supply to the Spinneret.
b) step-by-step description on how to load and save the multisocket base files from the external prop to the Spinneret SD card.
c) Once that is done I presume you can disconnect the external prop and follow the Spinneret Setup in your Spinneret multi-socket manual. which seems very clear and well written.

Please excuse my ignorance and inexperience in this matter. I guess I am used to the simpler modules with much more basic starting instructions.
[h=1][/h]

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-08-10 04:01
    Welcome to the Spinneret...
    a) diagram on how to connect the external prop and power supply to the Spinneret.
    There several methods to powering the Spinneret. I use a repurposed 5V cell phone charger connected to the Auxiliary Serial I/O header, J6. Connect the positive lead to the "R" and the negative lead to "B". See the Spinneret manual, page 3, for a image of J6 and a description.

An external Propeller is not required. Use a Prop Plug for programming the Spinneret (Propeller Chip). The 4 pin Prop Plug connects to the J2 header. See Programming Header and Jumper in the Spinneret manual, page 4.
    b) step-by-step description on how to load and save the multisocket base files from the external prop to the Spinneret SD card.

The SD card should contain an HTML web site not the Multisocket base. The SPIN code (Multisocket base file) is loaded and saved in the Propeller's EEPROM using the Spin Tool. See the help file(s) for excellent Propeller Programming documentation.
    c) Once that is done I presume you can disconnect the external prop and follow the Spinneret Setup in your Spinneret multi-socket manual. which seems very clear and well written.
    There is no external Prop! Are you referring to the Prop Plug by chance?
  • macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 353
    edited 2013-08-11 03:57
    Mike,
    Thank you for your quick response. I will look at this carefully and try it out and come back if I have any issues.
  • KellyWangKellyWang Posts: 1
    edited 2014-05-20 11:48
    Mike, I am a new user of spinneret web server 32203. Somehow, I can't open the webpage at http://spinneret.servebeer.com to download source code and tutorial. What can I do now?

Thank,
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-05-20 18:12
    Periodically check back . The site does work but on occasion it is off line.
    edited 2014-05-20 18:42
    As far as I can tell the site is not offline.

The source code can be found at
    https://code.google.com/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/#trunk%2F%20propeller-w5200-driver%2FSpinneret

And Welcome to the forum, KellyWang
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-05-20 18:55
    My bad, it was prior to my post.
    edited 2014-05-21 03:39
    No problem... the site was not offline when KellyWang posted either.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    edited 2014-10-08 14:26
    Whenever you start something new, you will run into a problem.
    I have installed Tortoise svn and when I try to checkout this link:
    [url]https://code.google.com/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/#trunk%2F%20propeller-w5200-driver%2FSpinneret[/url]

I get those errors:
    Command: Checkout from https://code.google.com/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/#trunk%2F%20propeller-w5200-driver%2FSpinneret, revision HEAD, Fully recursive, Externals included  
    Error: Unable to connect to a repository at URL  
    Error:  'https://code.google.com/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/%23trunk/%20propeller-w5200-driver/Spinneret'  
    Error: Unexpected HTTP status 405 'Method Not Allowed' on  
    Error:  '/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/%23trunk/%20propeller-w5200-driver/Spinneret'  
    Error: Additional errors:  
    Error: OPTIONS request on  
    Error:  '/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/%23trunk/%20propeller-w5200-driver/Spinneret'  
    Error:  failed: 405 Method Not Allowed  
    Completed!:   

Hope I will find some support here (like always) and will be back in the morning!
    edited 2014-10-08 23:41
    An update: in principle tortoise works, I could download tortoise itself.

Solved: I could checkout the sources from this address: http://propeller-w5200-driver.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/%20propeller-w5200-driver/
    Now I "only" have to understand, how this stuff works ;-)
    I come back to here after a long time. Goal: run my spinneret boards with latest software, will see if WizNet QuickStart SW runs ( W5100 <-> Ws5200)
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-02-22 18:32
    I assume you have already tried out Tachyon for the Spinneret which runs FAT32 plus sub-directories, HTTP and FTP server protocols as well as Telnet?

Personally though I find the Spinneret a bit of an odd ball in that it is almost like a WIZnet evaluation board but doesn't really have the I/O, footprint, or connectors to make it an embedded controller.
    edited 2016-02-23 08:35
    Yes, you are right, Peter. There are you, me and my customers ;-) I need free time to learn forth, time I don't have, because I waste this time learning what my customers want me to deliver. But the spinneret history sheds a light to the fact, that others also have to do first what generates cash flow. As I'm used to program spin and PASM and have a working infrastructure, it's already a burden to migrate these things to C. And if this is done, will I find companions or will I be another player in the game: what I do is superior? What I don't like to be.
    With the prop we can run programs using 32k + cog memory. A program that is serial in principal can not use more than one cog. When distributing moduls, communication will create overhead and the solution will be worse. BUT it may make sense in recognizing, how a serial process can be divided in parallel tasks. This gives a chance to discover ways to run the serial program in parallel and so open a way to run different processes concurrent making better use of resources...
    But it is hard to convince people.
  • I do what works and it works.
    I know I should invest into tachyon, ;-( But I found spinneret software in google code (by accident, other links from the forum were broken and exported to github were it can be found at https://github.com/neondata/spinneret-web-server I do not know, if this is a late version, but there are tutorials and demos