Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reasonable expectations for Polar sensor — Parallax Forums

Reasonable expectations for Polar sensor

JeffaJeffa Posts: 80
edited 2013-07-28 12:34 in Announcements
Hello,

(I usually get started on my homework pretty late....)

What are reasonable expectations of the Polar heart rate sensor setup included with the Inspiration kit? In the only documentation I've found so far, the "Polar Heart Rate Receiver" kickstart, I find this:
Important! A signal is received only if there is a compatible heart rate sensor transmitter within operating distance (typically four feet or less). The sensor must be worn in accordance with the instructions packaged with it.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Which leads me to believe a valid 'beat' is available from the Polar xmtr/rcvr. That I'm getting a legitimate or plausible rate count from the demo .spin code. Yet with the transmitter a good fifty feet away from the receiver I'm still getting a large number of 'beats'. With the receiver removed from the circuit I'm not receiving any false 'beats'.

Is there a
[/FONT]
  • Data sheet available for these parts?
  • [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More detailed documentation? Perhaps a technical blog post from parallax or Polar?
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are other folks experiencing with the demo setup and code?

[/FONT]

Comments

• TymkrsTymkrs Posts: 539
    edited 2013-07-26 22:49
    So I'm not using the demo code "code for code" so to speak, but I have noticed some false beats when the transmitter is on/off/close/far (mostly I can tell because I'm checking my pulse while using it). But this was largely due to my connection of the receiver to header not being secure. As long as the connection to the receiver is absolutely secure, I usually got a pretty accurate response.

I have a feeling with the beats that you're getting (when the transmitter is 50 feet away), that for some reason it's picking up something else that seems to trigger a default beat pattern. Other electronics?
  • JeffaJeffa Posts: 80
    edited 2013-07-28 12:34
    Thank you for sharing you experiences with the sensor.

I built mine off of the Prop BOE and on to a Prop proto board last night. It's better now. Still imperfect.I'll continue to fiddle about...

SensorsBlueTooth.jpg

Bluetooth (XBee form factor), Polar heart rate receiver, Sensirion temperate / humidity sensor.
    1024 x 714 - 99K