Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My Wild Thumper Project - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

My Wild Thumper Project

2»

Comments

• George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2014-09-06 06:42
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Finally! I have a video. I have my Sony Remote programmed using the arrows for high speed forward and reverse, medium speed turning left and right and the number 1 and 2 for high speed turning left and right. Next I will make it turn while in reverse. I want to figure out how to do ramping of the speed also because as you can see, it would not take much to lose control at the speeds it is going. Eventually it will be autonomous, I promise!!!

http://www.nwupgradesplus.com/Downloads/Wild_Thumper_Test_Run_1.avi

Where did you get the remote code... from the OBEX? Did any sample code come with the WT?
    edited 2014-09-06 06:50
    Finally! I have a video. I have my Sony Remote programmed using the arrows for high speed forward and reverse, medium speed turning left and right and the number 1 and 2 for high speed turning left and right. Next I will make it turn while in reverse. I want to figure out how to do ramping of the speed also because as you can see, it would not take much to lose control at the speeds it is going. Eventually it will be autonomous, I promise!!!

http://www.nwupgradesplus.com/Downloads/Wild_Thumper_Test_Run_1.avi

Looks like that WT can move really quickly. I can't wait to see it when you make it autonomous!
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-09-06 08:16
    Knoxville? Then bring it to me as you pass by! I live in Morristown, just off of I-81. I will take good care of it for you LOL!
    Sorry George - left it at home.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-09-06 10:17
    Fun video. I'm surprised how well the IR remote works outside.

Andy, I hope I can talk you into getting a YouTube account. Attaching videos to forum posts uses lots of server space and we have to download the video before we can start to watch it. We also have to remember to delete the video from our hard drives after we've watched.

Uploading to YouTube can be a bit a pain sometimes but it would sure make it easier on the rest of us. It's also nice to have a place (YouTube) where you can keep your all your videos in one place.

I need to find a nice gravel patch for my next figure 8. You WT left nice trails in the gravel as it turned. Maybe one of my bots would leave similar trails.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-09-06 10:24
    Where did you get the remote code... from the OBEX?
    Yes, I can not remember which one it is that I used to get the codes though. I will go through and check again.
    Did any sample code come with the WT?
    No sample code comes with it. I have pretty much been winging it with forumistas and Andy Lindsey's help. Originally I thought 250 was max speed in Spin and 100 in C but Andy advised me differently and this thing moves along quite nicely.
    I hope I can talk you into getting a YouTube account.
    I think I have one, just no videos uploaded. I put my latest video on my own web site since Parallax is limited to the size.
    edited 2014-09-07 21:04
    So I got a little further today. I finally mounted and wired my Ping sensor. I have code that Andy Lindsey provided but I have not tested it yet. I know it works on my test board and servos so it will hopefully work once ported to the WT. The IR code I have is working great and I have modified it so I can back up while turning and several other commands. I added On/Off switches to my motors and the Project board. I have been wanting to do this for some time as it makes it much easier than unplugging the batteries all the time. I want to make a plastic box that will hold the switches and all my other electronic add on pieces. If I have enough room I may add a fan to keep things cool.
    edited 2014-09-08 07:23
    I am pleased as punch that you are able to work on your Wild Thumper project! I envy you... just not able to get one for myself yet (something goes wrong everytime I get ready to place the order). You appear to be doing much with your WT as I have plans for mine, which actually is very similar to Robert Beatty's All-Terrain TREKKER: http://beatty-robotics.com/all-terrain-gps-robot/. This pretty much sums up what I had been wanting to do with mine, which I stubbled upon at about the same time I found your original project posts. Keep the development coming!!!
    edited 2014-09-08 14:40
    Yea, Beatty Robotics has some cool stuff. The plan is to eventually use GPS/Compass/whatever else I have around for positioning, etc. Over the years I have acquired pretty much everything I need. I just need to get it implemented now!!!!! Baby steps as Bill Murray learned in "What About Bob".
    edited 2014-09-08 18:14
    Good movie, and agree with the baby steps. I can't wait to get a WT. It is the best value for the money, with the two motor controllers, Propeller board, and really good design. I myself have a GPS, XBee, battery packs, LCD, PINGs, compass module, and other goodies just waiting to put on the Wild Thumper. Daggum can't wait to put it all together!
    edited 2014-09-08 20:57
    It would have been great if you could have nabbed one during the sale. I think it was like $260.00 plus tax and freight. I got mine on sale but not that much was knocked off!!!

EDIT: I have everything you have listed except the XBees. I think I may go a different route though for my wireless. @Duane Degn really likes the eBay Nordic modules so I think I will work on getting them going. I bought like 10 sets of them so hopefully can get them working well!!!!! I eventually want to have the wireless connected to my home network and be able to control via the Internet. I have a couple of Spinnret's and a PINK so that should be easy enough. I have a mini wireless router that runs on 5V DC so I can revert to that if necessary!!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2014-09-10 16:47
    Nice Andy! I got home and finally saw your video. I agree with Duane, your IR remote works unbelievably well outdoors in sunlight. IMO IR is underrated. Everyone is Bluetooth, XBee and Wifi mad these days, when a dollar IR sensor and remote can do the job as well.

Now make your bot programmable (no R/C) and get that figure 8 down around some plates, per Ttailspin!
    edited 2014-09-10 17:24
    Thanks erco. That actually means a lot coming from you!!! I have to say that the cheap Chinese IR's I originally tried did the job but not as well as the ones I got from Parallax, which is what is in use in the video. I am currently working on getting it to roam using a single Ping. I have plans for the figure 8 but that may not be until this Winter. I am currently working on using GPS. I would like to have that going before the weather turns ugly here and I can not go outside as much with the WT as it is not very weather proof, at least not right now!!!!!
  • Andy,

Any further items of interest with your Wild Thumper?
  • Unfortunately no. Life has come upon me!!! Hopefully this summer though.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Life has come upon me!!!

Better than death.