Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My Wild Thumper Project — Parallax Forums

My Wild Thumper Project

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2014-09-10 17:24 in Robotics
I finally received my Wild Thumper today after much anticipation. It took about three hours to build. ( The instructions say 2 hours, but I took my time and made sure everything was correct before proceeding to the next step.) I also took breaks in between steps. I did make one mistake that I corrected. Not sure if it is noticeable in the pics or not . I turned the HB-25's around opposite the way they were suppose to be thinking the air flow would be a little better. However, the Servo cables are not long enough to work this way so I turned them back around again. Other than that everything went very smoothly. Pretty solid unit and I like the fact that the wire connectors and all of the screws were of a better quality than normal. The stock motors are 34:1 but in searching DAGU's site I see they also carry a 74:1 motor which I may end up upgrading to. I have many things planned for this Bot and need to come up with a catchy name for him. I have everything I need now with the exception of the leads for my batteries. I will visit either Fry's or the Shack in the morning to get those so I can get him rolling. I am going to keep track of my progress in this thread so feel free to follow along and make suggestions if you like. Below are some pics of the build. I will post video once he is up and running (rolling)!!

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
1024 x 576 - 72K
1024 x 576 - 73K
1024 x 576 - 75K
1024 x 576 - 80K
1024 x 576 - 68K

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-07-10 23:03
    Reserved For Video:
    edited 2013-07-10 23:03
    Reserved For Code:
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-11 07:11
    Looking good so far!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Have you given thought to what kind of remote you may use? I assume it will be both autonomous and remote controlled?

Thanks for taking time to document your build. It's always fun to follow along with other robot projects.
    edited 2013-07-11 08:55
    To start with I just have a standard TV remote and yes it will be autonomous and remote controlled. I also have a Parallax key fob that I ay use for remote. I do not really need anything fancy since for the most part it will be autonomous.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2013-07-20 12:38
    No time for the Wild Thumper huh? I've been considering this platform for awhile and need more iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinput.
    edited 2013-07-20 14:44
    Actually I have been working on it off and on. As usual, life came up!!! I am awaiting a replacement HB-25. Although I have a few spares since I have been short on time I figured I would wait to post more about it. I had to come to Montana to help take care of my Father In Law whom is ill. I brought my Prop Board and a couple servos, a PING and IR Sensors. As time allows I will be working on getting those functioning as I have been working on it a little bit and having problems. All in all I am very satisfied with the Wild Thumper. I like the fact that it can be programmed using the Prop Servo Objects. Ther are 3 motors in parallel to each HB-25. So, what other input are you seeking?
    edited 2013-07-20 15:36
    I hear you and hope you have a good trip and your father in law is doing well. I guess I was hoping to see some pics of it wired up and how well things fit in there. Also was wondering about the speed and how much torque it has at low speeds. I watched a few youtube videos and most don't show any details of the payload areas. Do you think encoders can be mounted anywhere on it? I still need to build something with encoders. I have a robots both too small and large to really do anything with. The Thumper chassis seems a good in-between.

HB-25s look pretty awesome, hope you get your replacement soon :)
  • remon404remon404 Posts: 5
    edited 2013-07-27 03:51
    How do u control this device by using wifi or Bluetooth or Remote control frequency? It looks like heavy weight and like as curiosity(working in MARS planet). If u face internal circuit fault or need to measurements then use this link.

Thanks
    Ahsan
    edited 2013-07-28 22:19
    The idea is to start with using a standard Sony remote control. Eventually it will have Wi Fi and run autononomusly. I am in Montana but should have some video up within the next week or so. I had to stop to come back to Montana and take care of my Father In Law. Hoping to get back by the end of this week so I can get back on my project.

I do not see a link to anything.
    edited 2013-07-29 01:54
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    I do not see a link to anything.

The link was to some little in-browser calculators which didn't have anything to do with the text of the reply. Post #9 was likely spam (see Mike Green's edit).

I'm a big fan of Nordic nRF24L01+ modules (there's a link in post #1 of my index to some of these modules on ebay). The Nordic transceivers are so inexpensive you can add them to all sorts of projects. I've used them to make a remote for some of my robots. What's nice about using a transceiver is you can get telemetry back from the robot. It can keep you up to date on the voltage of battery and send back other sensor information. You can also use the transceivers to send commands to the robot. You don't have to worry about sunlight drowning out the signal (or having the sensor blocked by an obstacle) like you do when using an IR remote.
    edited 2013-07-29 18:12
    @Duane Degn, So how do you use the Nordic Transceivers? Would I need two of them? And what do you use to control the signal?
    edited 2013-07-29 18:49
    @Duane Degn, So how do you use the Nordic Transceivers? Would I need two of them? And what do you use to control the signal?

Yes, you need two of them.

Here's a driver to use with the Propeller. I've got a better one in the works but the one posted works.

Here's a couple of projects which use these Nordic transceivers.
    Panic Buttons
    Remote Controlled Roomba
    Mood Enhancing LEDs (with the Nordic fob from SparkFun)

You can also use them with Basic Stamps. Ron Czapala wrote some example code for the BS2.

The Roomba project shows a module plugged directly into a QuickStart header. I haven't found many of these modules that will work by receiving power from a Prop I/O pin. I normally don't connect the modules this way.

These transceivers use a lot of pins (six) but some of the pins can be shared with other SPI devices. XBees are easier to use than these Nordic modules but you can get over ten 16 of the Nordic devices for the price of one XBee.
    edited 2013-08-12 21:50
    Back from Montana. Have some catching up to do and need to rearrange my office/shop work space for better efficiency and room to work without having to clean every two days!!! Once that is done and clients are all taken care of I will be back on this project. Winter is coming and I have a lot to get done!!
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2013-08-25 17:13
    Back from Montana. Have some catching up to do and need to rearrange my office/shop work space for better efficiency and room to work without having to clean every two days!!! Once that is done and clients are all taken care of I will be back on this project. Winter is coming and I have a lot to get done!!
    I am glad to see your project post in this forum. I am planning to use the Wild Thumper as a platform for a culvert, pipe, and slope inspection robot that I am designing. Have you found the hardware to be constructed well enough for field (outdoor) use? I am wondering about how water resistant the motors may be. Please keep us posted with your project developments. Thanks,George.
    edited 2013-08-25 17:47
    Have you found the hardware to be constructed well enough for field (outdoor) use?
    It is a very durable unit and will, I am certain work great outdoors. However, since I live in the Pacific Northwest, I am going to have to come up with a better solution to protect the motors from water. They are housed in a plastic case but there are "breather" holes in which water can easily seep in to. I have a few different ideas to try once it is running. I am still trying to get my shop/office taken care of !!!! I am really anxious to get this thing going and it just seems like life keeps getting in the way.
    edited 2013-10-16 19:37
    @Duane Degn,
    Here's a driver to use with the Propeller
    Is this the new one you were working on or still the older version?
    edited 2013-10-16 19:57
    @Duane Degn, Is this the new one you were working on or still the older version?

It's still the old one. I has to remove some proprietary code in the new driver. After I removed the proprietary code I attempted to write a demo for the new driver. My first attempt wasn't successful.

The older driver does work. I'm pretty sure there's a bug in the old code which can cause problems in a few circumstances. The newer version should work better (once I get it to work). I got busy with a couple of different encoder projects and with my CNC project. I'll take another look at the newer code soon (let's say within a week).
    edited 2013-10-30 19:18
    Back to my Wild Thumper again!!! I have been busy with other things but the WT is still a priority. Some times I wish I could just retire and play full time!!! Any how, I came up with an idea to use a Tripod leg as an "arm" so to speak that will have a gripper on the end and extend out. After some searching and help from other fourm members I decided that I could use a tape measure to extract and retract the Tripod arm. After putting a prototype together I forgot one important thing, I want the wires to be mostly hidden and had not run them through the leg before using JB Weld to secure the tape measure!!!! And then I realized I need a way for the wire to wind up without getting all messed up. Which brings me to the reason of this post. I found this slip ring on EBay and it works pretty well with my Servos thus far.Once I get another Tripod leg ready to go I will post some pictures of everything. I am thinking of using the inside pieces of the tape measure to wind everything on to.
    edited 2013-10-31 19:22
    Back to my Wild Thumper again!!! I have been busy with other things but the WT is still a priority.

I am looking forward to seeing more about your WT project! Hope you find some time to play!
    edited 2014-07-02 23:58
    So, With my many projects I already have going I think it is finally getting time to devote more time to this project. I can not promise anything but hopefully I can get something accomplished soon. I was laying in bed the other night trying to think of a good use for my Laser Range Finder that I recently snagged for $50.00. Then it came to me. A missile launcher. Not just any missile launcher mind you, no. A Laser/Radar guided missile launcher. I just purchased a cheap toy RC launcher from Amazon.com. I will use it as a starting point and then once I have it figured out will use something more advanced. I have an indoor RC helicopter that will be the intended target. The missile launcher will be mounted on the Wild Thumper The overall goal is to let the WT roam autonomously, fly the helicopter and let the WT with missile launcher track and then shoot down the helicopter. I am probably biting off more than I can chew but what the heck, may as well have a cool goal!!!! If anyone has any good suggestions I am open to them.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-07-03 11:55
    Looking forward to your updates Andy.

My Thumper is still sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get around to it :(
    edited 2014-07-03 14:24
    Andy,

I too am looking forward to seeing what you do with the WT. I really want to buy one and hope to do so at the end of this summer. Please keep us informed.
    edited 2014-07-03 16:36
    So I am not sure if it is doable or not but the plan is to create a sort of "Dish" made from several Ping Sensors and these will be placed on a servo and spin such as a Radar dish does. I posted a question here to find out if it will work or not. If not, I would like to hear from the experts as to what you recommend. I want the "Radar" to be somewhat realistic looking and I also want it to operate similar to the real thing. I also have IR sensors and a Laser Range Finder available. However, the plan is to try and use the LRF to "Paint" the target once acquired by the Radar. I am open to other suggestions for creating a radar system.
    edited 2014-09-04 22:46
    Back on the WT project again. I have spent the past couple of days testing SimpleIDE code to get it to work with Servos. After I got that going and ported it to the WT it did not work the way it is suppose to. Go figure!!! I may end up just using Spin just so I can get t his thing going and get a large figure 8 done for erco! I currently have it capable of running from a Sony remote to go forward, reverse, left and right. I have code for a Ping also and am just trying to figure out if I want more than one ping or not. I still have plans for some sort of gripper attached to it but that will have to wait until this thing is moving on it's own. I have a bit of video but my dog did not like it and was barking like crazy. I will shoot more video when he is outside and post it.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-09-05 03:19
    Good thread Andy. I am currently waiting on my Wild Thumper to arrive - will follow your progress closely.

Doc
    edited 2014-09-05 13:14
    SUCCESS!!!!! After a bit of help from Andy Lindsey I have my WT working with both Spin and SimpleIDE C code. @doggiedoc, The code I have is very basic and uses a Sony remote for Forward, Reverse, Left and Right turns using the arrows. I have one I purchased from Parallax. The code can be modified to whatever you need. Let me know if you want it and I will post them. The Spin code runs about half speed but be advised, the C code runs full speed and it is quite fast.

EDIT: Is Parallax shipping WT's right now since the board is under modification?
    edited 2014-09-05 15:41
    Finally! I have a video. I have my Sony Remote programmed using the arrows for high speed forward and reverse, medium speed turning left and right and the number 1 and 2 for high speed turning left and right. Next I will make it turn while in reverse. I want to figure out how to do ramping of the speed also because as you can see, it would not take much to lose control at the speeds it is going. Eventually it will be autonomous, I promise!!!

http://www.nwupgradesplus.com/Downloads/Wild_Thumper_Test_Run_1.avi
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-09-05 19:38
    My WT arrived today but sadly, as soon as I got home from work, we loaded up and headed for Knoxville. I didn't have time to open it. :(
    edited 2014-09-05 21:51
    Nice video, it looks like it really thumps! Most importantly there is so much room to add moar stuff!
    edited 2014-09-06 06:40
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    My WT arrived today but sadly, as soon as I got home from work, we loaded up and headed for Knoxville. I didn't have time to open it. :(

Knoxville? Then bring it to me as you pass by! I live in Morristown, just off of I-81. I will take good care of it for you LOL!