Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 arrives today - but it won't work - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 arrives today - but it won't work

13»

Comments

• User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-05-07 15:50
    Curiosity gets the best of me. Is the fix for the next shuttle to...

...go back to the vendor who reduced the core logic and require that they do the density fill for Poly and Diffusion layers?

...tweak the FILL cells you modified?

...deal individually with each instance?
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2013-05-07 18:40
    cgracey wrote: »
    We don't need a moving target at this point. We just need to get working what we've already started.
    You are every bit right Chip. This is every bit of product development and have to keep on going by fixing the problems that comes along way.
  • Dr. MarioDr. Mario Posts: 331
    edited 2013-05-10 19:21
    Yikes. That's not very much room for any mistake at sub-200nm nodes... I know Chip and Beau have been working on the Propeller II rather hard for several years... Only to be dealt a blow due to a short on the PII die.

And, the short's around the CPU core or inside it? If inside, I guess it's Game Over.

Hopefully, Chip and Beau get the chance to fix the problems. Sorry that it happened. T-T
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-05-10 20:21
    We learned today that TSMC's next C018LP shuttle run isn't until mid-July. That means four more months before we'll have another chip to try out. I figured there'd be another shuttle any day, but it's not so.
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2013-05-10 21:54
    I'm not a backend guy, but isn't there a tool that should catch this sort of thing? e.g. LVS, or GDS to RTL/gate formal equivalence checking? I do know of some former coworkers that got burned when a mask was improperly generated for the process they were using. Something to do with wet etch versus dry etch. It supposedly took someone many weeks or months to figure out what went wrong.

I can ask our backend guys how they would catch this sort of thing if you would like me to. They just taped out a couple of chips, so hopefully they have some time.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-05-10 22:33
    KeithE wrote: »
    I'm not a backend guy, but isn't there a tool that should catch this sort of thing? e.g. LVS, or GDS to RTL/gate formal equivalence checking? I do know of some former coworkers that got burned when a mask was improperly generated for the process they were using. Something to do with wet etch versus dry etch. It supposedly took someone many weeks or months to figure out what went wrong.

I can ask our backend guys how they would catch this sort of thing if you would like me to. They just taped out a couple of chips, so hopefully they have some time.

See posts #21 and #48 in this thread for an answer to that question.
  • Dr. MarioDr. Mario Posts: 331
    edited 2013-05-11 12:39
    Two months hopefully should be enough time to verify the fill layer alignment (or redoing the offending layer) before shuttle is up for the taking.

That's a rather educational process, however. Hopefully the Silicon gremlins go away this time.

ADDED: The pie chart style of CPU cores (COGs) arrangement seems to be a rather smart idea, concerning the IO delay / trace travel timing, as well as being auto-routed. That may have avoided the needs for true superscalar integer units (probably delayed until Propeller III). What's of that have the potential of turning Propeller II into an efficient number cruncher. I will be giving it a try once it's fixed and ready - just curious how fast it can go compared to Propeller 1 (140 MHz being the record - correct me if I am wrong).
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2013-05-11 20:46
    SRLM wrote: »
    See posts #21 and #48 in this thread for an answer to that question.

I figured that something like Encounter Conformal Equivalence Checker should be able to handle it. Maybe there's a better way for this type of error. Anyways just offering to ask some backend guys that do many chips a year in 40 nm and below processes.
  • John A. ZoidbergJohn A. Zoidberg Posts: 514
    edited 2013-05-12 04:16
    Sorry to hear that the first testing batch didn't work.

To the creators and engineers of Prop2, please keep going and don't give up. Hopefully you will create this magnificient product which is the Prop2.

Since I'm the person who have a bit of a sixth sense, I know that the new Prop2 is going to rock the world, and I will give all my blessings to Parallax Inc. :)
    edited 2013-05-12 21:06
    Thanks for all your support, Everyone! We really appreciate it here.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-05-24 15:04
    Glass half empty: Ugh, that's too bad.

Glass half full: More time to get ready for it, more drivers :)

It will be worth the wait - please don't sweat it Chip!
    We learned today that TSMC's next C018LP shuttle run isn't until mid-July. That means four more months before we'll have another chip to try out. I figured there'd be another shuttle any day, but it's not so.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2013-05-24 15:06
    Something tells me that this will be a long term blessing in disguise.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2013-05-24 15:24
    Thanks for all your support, Everyone! We really appreciate it here.

Can you do ESD testing on the Prop2 you have ?
    edited 2013-05-25 13:57
    jmg wrote: »
    Can you do ESD testing on the Prop2 you have ?

Good point! Yes, we can, but we'll only be able to check for power/ground-to-pin shorts on the I/O's after ESD hits.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2013-05-25 19:02
    Good point! Yes, we can, but we'll only be able to check for power/ground-to-pin shorts on the I/O's after ESD hits.

.. and also measure changes to I/O leakage ? - which can be an earlier indication of getting close to the limits ?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-06-07 06:54
    If you throw your I-Ching coins for 30 years, you one day realize why you keep getting "Perseverance furthers..." attached to the interpretations.

The 99% perspiration comes after the 1% inspiration. And so, I can wait patiently.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2013-06-07 16:01
    I can wait too. : ]
    I don't mind the wait, as long as this chip gets completed!

Keep up the good work!
  • franksanderdofranksanderdo Posts: 14
    edited 2013-06-12 09:29
    Beau, Ken, Chip

zapping through the net about parallel processing I found this forum and started reading this thread.
    I have no real clue what exactly went wrong, anyhow please allow some words:

After reading this thread I decided to buy a Propeller and start learning!
    Unfortunately it was a bit of pain to find here in Bahrain, but it is now on my desk ;-)
    To make it short:
    The open and honest way you guys have disclosed the trouble you are in, no pointing "it was the fault of..." and the way of explaining simply impressed me.

Even though I am only a hobby enthusiast that, most probably, never will generate decent revenue to parallax (sorry for that) I want to thank you!

Best Regards
    Frank
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-06-12 10:49
    The open and honest way you guys have disclosed the trouble you are in, no pointing "it was the fault of..." and the way of explaining simply impressed me.

Even though I am only a hobby enthusiast that, most probably, never will generate decent revenue to parallax (sorry for that) I want to thank you!

Best Regards
    Frank

Welcome to the family Frank! There''s a lot of people that feel the same way you do.

Doc
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-06-12 13:25

Best Regards
    Frank

Hello Frank, and welcome to the crowd! You are most welcome and that's okay if you only end up needing a few chips. It takes a lot of peanuts to fill the bag, and having many customers ensures a broad base of support for Propeller 1 (and 2). I admit to knowing little about Bahrain so I had to research it myself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain. You might be the first Propeller programmer in Bahrain - hopefully you have a spare Propeller, EEPROM and crystal in case something goes wrong (normal day at my desk - yesterday I hooked up a 12V 15Ahr SLA battery in reverse to my power supply and the cables burned apart). We are here to help even if you need another chip!

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2013-06-13 03:53
    Hi Ho,

thanks a lot for the warm welcome.
    In fact it seems that the PE Kit I bought I got the only propeller which is available in Bahrain.
    Tells me I need to be extra careful :-D

I have started looking into spin (can't stop me comparing it with occam) and will search for the beginners section here in the Forum now.

Ok enough off topic for this thread ;-)
    As I like the atmosphere here in the Forum you might see me more often.

Have fun and please excuse my english. This happens if germans try to write in a foreign language.
    Frank
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-06-13 05:26
    Beau, Ken, Chip

To make it short:

Best Regards
    Frank

Willkommen. Eigentlich habe ich ein paar Freunde, die Art durch alle Arten von Kommunikation und dergleichen auf die Spur zu Menschen, die Probleme verursachen. Sie haben mir versichert, dass dies einzig Ausfall war die Schuld dieses Mannes:
    http://forums.parallax.com/image.php?u=41324&dateline=1289257809

Nat
    edited 2013-06-13 08:19
    rjo__ wrote: »
    ...I'm guessing your English is better than Google's German...

Hey Rich thanks for the welcome.
    To answer your guessing:
    Can you please post the original (english) text as well? :lol:

See you around
    Frank (is reading about VGA projects and communication between props at the moment)
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-06-13 20:27
    Frank,

Unfortunately, I didn't save the original.... such a loss.

Google from German to English doesn't sound at all like me:)

Welcome. Actually, I have a few friends that way through all forms of communication, and the like to track down people who cause the problems. They assured me that this failure was only the guilt of this man:
    http://forums.parallax.com/image.php...ine=1289257809

Of course, my friends can not associate names and pictures ... but this man knows who he is and what he has done

If you have the most fun here and want to take more money to spend on Chinese products, you must follow the Erco posts.
    Check out Mike Green posts. He's been around forever and is almost always right. And of course all the presenters get involved in great conversations, so you can select one and read his (or her) submissions.

Spin is fabulous.

You will never regret your interest in the propeller ... unless you end up with a warehouse full of Chinese products and have no idea what to do with all

I'm guessing your German is better than Google's English too:)

Regards,

Rich
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2013-06-15 15:29
    Welcome to the fold, Frank. Parallax has been doing business this way for 20+ years and a lot of us here have been customers for much of that period. They are a really wonderful company to do business with because they really do care about our needs, and have many times proven a willingness to go an extra kilometer when it doesn't profit them but can help one of us.